Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Use oneworld status for early boarding group then switch to no-status AA account?

Use oneworld status for early boarding group then switch to no-status AA account?

 
Old Feb 25, 06, 8:08 am
  #1  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,219
Use oneworld status for early boarding group then switch to no-status AA account?

I don't have any status with American, but do have status with another oneworld carrier. Going to pick up a cheap AA domestic flight, but...

I'd like to use my oneworld status for lounge access (no problem) and early boarding (so I have to enter my oneworld partner FF #, right?).

But the trick is that I'd rather accumulate the miles from the flight in my no-status AA account.

(1) Can I board early just flashing a oneworld emerald card, or do i need the boarding group printed on the boarding pass?

(2) if the latter, is there any way to use status for early boarding from one carrier but accrue in another? I assume if I give the FF# with status I'll get the boarding group that I want, but that if I then switch FF programs at the gate they'll print a new boarding pass with a new boarding group? Or can I just switch numbers without changing the boarding group?

(3) will the early boarding apply to a companion on the same PNR as well?

Perhaps pedantic questions, and apologies if this has been answered before. Thanks!
gleff is offline  
Old Feb 25, 06, 10:48 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,395
Originally Posted by gleff
I don't have any status with American, but do have status with another oneworld carrier. Going to pick up a cheap AA domestic flight, but...

I'd like to use my oneworld status for lounge access (no problem) and early boarding (so I have to enter my oneworld partner FF #, right?).

But the trick is that I'd rather accumulate the miles from the flight in my no-status AA account.

(1) Can I board early just flashing a oneworld emerald card, or do i need the boarding group printed on the boarding pass?

(2) if the latter, is there any way to use status for early boarding from one carrier but accrue in another? I assume if I give the FF# with status I'll get the boarding group that I want, but that if I then switch FF programs at the gate they'll print a new boarding pass with a new boarding group? Or can I just switch numbers without changing the boarding group?

(3) will the early boarding apply to a companion on the same PNR as well?

Perhaps pedantic questions, and apologies if this has been answered before. Thanks!

1. Yes
2. N/A since, you are going to be OK with using your card to board early
3. Yes, you can have a companion board with you
mvoight is offline  
Old Feb 25, 06, 11:56 am
  #3  
925
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 2,849
I would just send the miles to wherever I wanted, and show my elite card on whomever else I wanted to get the benefit. And I'd be happy taking a companion or two with me.
925 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 06, 12:47 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: SFO/MSY
Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 3,362
Originally Posted by 925
I would just send the miles to wherever I wanted, and show my elite card on whomever else I wanted to get the benefit. And I'd be happy taking a companion or two with me.
Agreed. Never had a problem flashing the card to board early.
olimaspecto is offline  
Old Feb 25, 06, 2:16 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Top Tier, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,037
No problems flashing the card at all. I do this reguraly when flying other OW airlines- though with IB it isn't always clear when boarding begins....
Peatisback is offline  
Old Feb 25, 06, 7:04 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AA GLD/1MM, Marriott GLD, IHG Spire
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Peatisback
No problems flashing the card at all. I do this reguraly when flying other OW airlines- though with IB it isn't always clear when boarding begins....
Did you mean 'ever' instead of 'always'?
AintSpike is offline  
Old Feb 25, 06, 7:25 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 22,153
The only potential hurdle to be aware of with AA, and it shouldn't be a big problem if you know it might happen, is that gate agents expect boarding order to be printed on your boarding pass. If yours says Group 4 or whatever, their initial reaction (if they're enforcing boarding order at all, which isn't always the case) will be to shoo you away. So have your other card out and be prepared to say something like "I know, I'm boarding now because of my oneWorld level via Qantas [or whatever], it doesn't show up when they print boarding passes."
Efrem is offline  
Old Feb 25, 06, 8:08 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Posts: 5,020
Also switching where you accumulate the miles is a crap shoot as to whether they'll get it right.

Since it sounds like you're in Y remember most other OW carriers are pretty stingy about awarding miles, tier points, etc for cheap, and not so cheap but not full fare, coach bookings, on their own flights and on AA's.
pauleeepaul is offline  
Old Feb 26, 06, 2:12 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Top Tier, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Posts: 2,037
Originally Posted by AintSpike
Did you mean 'ever' instead of 'always'?
Well said...
Peatisback is offline  
Old Feb 26, 06, 5:59 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: DCA
Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Posts: 22,219
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Since it sounds like you're in Y remember most other OW carriers are pretty stingy about awarding miles, tier points, etc for cheap, and not so cheap but not full fare, coach bookings, on their own flights and on AA's.
Bingo, that's why I'm going to credit the miles to my no-status AA account

Thanks, all.
gleff is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread