RDU-LGW to remain B777

Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Forgive me for going OT. It may not be a record but that is the fastest suspension that I have ever seen.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drtdk
Forgive me for going OT. It may not be a record but that is the fastest suspension that I have ever seen.
I think there have been 1 or 2 quicker. In any case, F with the best, die like the rest.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Seems this RDU-LGW route always generates a discussion.... or is just me?

I guess I'm interested in it because I'm originally from RDU. And everytime I fly out of RDU...usually on the 7pm flight back to DCA, the Club is full of people heading to LGW.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Seems this RDU-LGW route always generates a discussion.... or is just me?

I guess I'm interested in it because I'm originally from RDU. And everytime I fly out of RDU...usually on the 7pm flight back to DCA, the Club is full of people heading to LGW.
Could someone just tell me what is in RDU that requires this LGW traffic?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
I would like to second the request for more detail on the unique IFS F service.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:27 pm

I found ORD-LHR and RDU-LGW F service to be the same. What did I miss?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ja_user
Could someone just tell me what is in RDU that requires this LGW traffic?
Here's the answer: http://www.gsk.com/

This flight is essentially a single-company shuttle - think of it as a daily charter flight on which the public can also purchase tickets; Glaxo guarantees AA sufficient J revenue to make the flight profitable.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Here's the answer: http://www.gsk.com/

This flight is essentially a single-company shuttle - think of it as a daily charter flight on which the public can also purchase tickets; Glaxo guarantees AA sufficient J revenue to make the flight profitable.

I understand. I had wondered in previous RDU threads why there would ever be a 777 there.... BUt corporate contracts could certainly do it.

And here I was afraid it was a company who's name I should recognize.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Don't give the impression that the only J pax on these flights are GSK. Absolutely untrue. RDU is IBM's largest site in the world (or at least was prior to the Lenovo deal), and other companies like Cisco, Sony Ericsson, and Nortel account for LGW business too. GSK doesn't always use all their alloted seats. AA sells the rest. Even when AA can sell additional J seats but J is full, the GSK people are placed in F to make room in J.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to imagine that GSK and the other large corporates are getting pretty attractive pricing, I would take an educated guess and say $3-3.5 K r/t for full J, and I would imagine that there is a much smaller contingency of businesses that pay closer to full fare, so wouldn't that make yields on this route not particularly attractive? Though maybe filling J at that level on a consistent basis is better than filling other routes with upgrades?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I have to imagine that GSK and the other large corporates are getting pretty attractive pricing, I would take an educated guess and say $3-3.5 K r/t for full J, and I would imagine that there is a much smaller contingency of businesses that pay closer to full fare, so wouldn't that make yields on this route not particularly attractive? Though maybe filling J at that level on a consistent basis is better than filling other routes with upgrades?
From deals my employer has, I would say your numbers are about right if possibly a little high. I guess the certainty of guaranteed income from those deals pretty much year round (and often underwritten with a guaranteed volume or compensation clause) makes the flight very appealing.

It might also indicate the AA's CASM for longhaul flights has decreased a great deal?
Old Feb 25, 2006, 12:34 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by hilton-gold
I found ORD-LHR and RDU-LGW F service to be the same. What did I miss?
I third this, I'm intrigued, what makes the service on this route unique?
Old Feb 25, 2006, 4:31 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I third this, I'm intrigued, what makes the service on this route unique?
I'm also interested.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 9:48 am

Programs: dont matter anymore...
Originally Posted by ijgordon
... I would take an educated guess and say $3-3.5 K r/t for full J...
I've flown the route numerous times for my previous employer. The fare is actually $2500 r/t in full J.
Old Feb 25, 2006, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flipside
I've flown the route numerous times for my previous employer. The fare is actually $2500 r/t in full J.
That doesn't comport-- even remotely-- with current published J-fares, ex-RDU. Published "full J" is over $4000 one-way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.