Newbie Question: F vs. P

Old Feb 24, 06, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, NW, DL, US, CO, UA
Question Newbie Question: F vs. P

With apologies to the more experienced travelers on the board, may I ask the differences between (domestic) F class and P class on AA? Any disadvantages to P class serious enough to warrant buying F class seats?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old Feb 24, 06, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to Flyertalk.

P used to refer to the front cabin on three cabin domestic transcon flights (like JFK-LAX/SFO) but now that cabin is labeled F, not P.

P now refers to a certain type of YUP booking class; some YUP fares book into A, and some book into P. But P no longer refers to an aircraft cabin like it used to.

Now that we have that out of the way, the First Class cabin on those transcons is certainly nicer than regular domestic F. Better food, nicer seats.

Which brings us to the real question: Exactly what do you want to know?
Old Feb 24, 06, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, NW, DL, US, CO, UA
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

P used to refer to the front cabin on three cabin domestic transcon flights (like JFK-LAX/SFO) but now that cabin is labeled F, not P.

P now refers to a certain type of YUP booking class; some YUP fares book into A, and some book into P. But P no longer refers to an aircraft cabin like it used to.

Now that we have that out of the way, the First Class cabin on those transcons is certainly nicer than regular domestic F. Better food, nicer seats.

Which brings us to the real question: Exactly what do you want to know?
Thank you for the welcome. I didn't really phrase my question well, so let me try giving some more detail. I did realize that F and P were in the same cabin, but I was wondering if the YUP booking class, booked into P, had any significant disadvantages over a regular F booking in terms of refundability, changeability, accrual of AA miles, cabin service, etc. The flights involved are R/T MCO - LAX on AA 215 & 244.

Booking in P class was significantly less $$ than booking straight F.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old Feb 24, 06, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
They should be less than F since they are not F. The whole point of YUP fares is that you pay less than F since you are buying Y and getting an upgrade at the time of booking. However if there is a change you are not guaranteed an upgrade seat on a different flight and many YUP fares and variants are not fully refundable or changeable at all. You must read the fare rules before booking .

Full fare Y and J and F where offered are fully refundable you get a seat as paid for fare. YUP are a deal on a sort of full fare Y. When you have full fare Y/J/F you can call AA and say change this flight to that as often as you like and they just change it and say anything else? No fees etc.
Old Feb 25, 06, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Pee!

Search this Thread