Is this worth doing?

Old Feb 24, 06, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Question Is this worth doing?

I purchased MIA-LHR Nov 8-18 coah (flying on AA metal to get miles) for about $1300 after all the taxes and stuff. Would it be worth spending another $1000 and burning 100,000 miles to get the upgrade to J?

And assuming I buy the upgrade does that automatically mean I have a 'real' seat in J or is that some sort of stand by list?
Old Feb 24, 06, 12:45 pm

(It should be noted that the OP appears to have purchased two tickets for the $1300, given that the lowest fare that AA gives - in V - comes back at just over $650 per ticket).

The upgrade cost would only be charged if and when the upgrade clears, so by paying it, you'd get the J seat. (In other words, you don't pay 25k/$250 simply to waitlist.) Whether it's worth it, though, is a different matter. You may wish to check the cost of buying up to a higher fare class (namely, B) to decrease the cost of the upgrade. B upgrades are 10k each way per ticket, with no upgrade, so the $1k and 60k miles you save on upgrades might offset the increased cost of the ticket.

Mike
Old Feb 24, 06, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Do I need to call a AA ticketing agent to find out about the B fare ticket or is there someway to find it on the website?

I'm trying to surprise Mr.Jawa with a larger seat since he's 6'9".
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:00 pm

At 6'4" the upgrade is well worth it even compared to an exit row seat for me. Not even a close decision for someone 6'9. If you do not have an exit row booked absolutely it is worth upgrading.
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jawa912
Do I need to call a AA ticketing agent to find out about the B fare ticket or is there someway to find it on the website?

6'9"? Do it in a heartbeat. It may not be worth it to you, but it will be a godsend to him.
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em

A 6'9" jawa? Now that's an anomoly... you sure it's not a wookie with a cape?
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

I see the plane is a 777, but does that mean that J seats only recline or are those lay flat seats?
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

I happen to be only 5' so I am of correct height to be assumed a jawa. Mr. Jawa considers himself an orge
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:15 pm

Calling is the best way to do it, but you can also check prices first through ITA (at www.itasoftware.com). (FWIW, B fares price out for your dates, according to ITA, at $2166 apiece, meaning that you'd either be paying $2300 and 100k miles or $4300 and 40k miles. Given that price difference, you might be better off using the miles and saving money.)

Mike
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Should I try for an exit row seat on the date of travel and if I don't get then purchase the upgrade or is that something that can't happen?
Old Feb 24, 06, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
It's highly unlikely that if you don't have an exit row seat by the day of travel that you will get one at the airport. AA allows pre-assignment of exit row seats to elites.
Old Feb 24, 06, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I see the plane is a 777, but does that mean that J seats only recline or are those lay flat seats?
The J seats do not lay flat at this time. If all goes well, AA will be replacing J seats with a lay flat (but not horizontal) seat over the next couple of years. Do a search on J seats for more details. I don't think your flights will have the new seats. The current J seats are more like a recliner - you can't turn over and lie on your stomach, but pretty good for a nap. In coach, at 5', you have no problem, but your 6'9" Jawa will have his knees crushed by the person in front of him who will have their seat on maximum recline. I believe he will not be able to extend his legs straight out, but you could ask him. If money or miles are a problem, I would upgrade him only Eastbound, as you both will be trying to sleep anyway. On the Westbound, it's nice to sit together, as you are awake and can talk, and he can get up to stretch his legs, and it is possible that the seat in front won't recline the whole flight.
Old Feb 24, 06, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

The only thing harder than solving world hunger, making friends with cats or understanding the opposite sex is finding B fares on AA.com.

You have to call.
Old Feb 24, 06, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by acf573
It's highly unlikely that if you don't have an exit row seat by the day of travel that you will get one at the airport. AA allows pre-assignment of exit row seats to elites.
The best hope would be if some elites with exit row seats are waitlisted for eVIPs and the eVIPs clear. In that case the exit row seats would open up.

Search this Thread