FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Reapplying an upgrade in the case of sleep? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/529958-reapplying-upgrade-case-sleep.html)

whirledtraveler Feb 23, 2006 9:24 pm

Reapplying an upgrade in the case of sleep?

I'm taking a redeye home this weekend and as an EXP, I was able to get my complimentary upgrade. I'm concerned, though, that I may not enjoy it if I sleep. If I do fall asleep will AA allow me to reapply that upgrade to another flight, one that I'll be conscious enough to enjoy?

bbkenney Feb 23, 2006 9:27 pm

In my experience, you cannot re-apply it however I believe you can actually get a refund for the price you paid for it.

whirledtraveler Feb 23, 2006 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by bbkenney
In my experience, you cannot re-apply it however I believe you can actually get a refund for the price you paid for it.

Thanks. How do I do that? Do I call the EXP desk?

bbkenney Feb 23, 2006 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Thanks. How do I do that? Do I call the EXP desk?

Actually, I think in this case you have to call Arpey at home.

jab Feb 23, 2006 9:34 pm

I'm taking a redeye home this weekend and as an EXP, I was able to get my complimentary upgrade. I'm concerned, though, that I may not enjoy it if I sleep. If I do fall asleep will AA allow me to reapply that upgrade to another flight, one that I'll be conscious enough to enjoy?

I am confused. As an EXP what did AA take from you or what did you give AA for the upgrade?

Flyer23 Feb 23, 2006 9:35 pm

Don't forget to write to AA CS if you're turned down. I think that not being allowed to reapply an upgrade should be good for at least 10,000 bonus miles.

JDiver Feb 23, 2006 9:36 pm

We are a diverse bunch - some of us would want an upgrade to get some sleep. And to ask for a courtesy upgrade "back" - did I, er, miss something here? :rolleyes:

Snoopy Feb 23, 2006 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
did I, er, miss something here? :rolleyes:

Sense of humour maybe? :rolleyes:

JDiver Feb 23, 2006 9:39 pm

A sundae, actually.

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Sense of humour maybe? :rolleyes:

sadiqhassan Feb 23, 2006 9:41 pm

lol, where did the sarcasm in this thread begin?

Also - if the upgrade was complintary, wouldn't it be impossible to "reapply" it? You will get the same free upgrade next time you travel (so long as all the conditions of the upgrade are met)

Cheers

CO FF Feb 23, 2006 9:47 pm

Maybe you should make sure to get an aisle seat. Then, when you board, you could ask the FAs to wake you every time they come through the cabin.

Or would that not solve the problem of you sleeping thru the flight? ;) ;)

bbkenney Feb 23, 2006 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by jab
I am confused. As an EXP what did AA take from you or what did you give AA for the upgrade?

After thinking through this more completely: Clearly the OP owes AA for a decent nights sleep PLUS the FC seat, thus avoiding a hotel room. To not give the upgrade back to AA would result in the rare, and somewhat illegal, "double upgrade", clearly contrary to the AA COS.

Peatisback Feb 23, 2006 10:53 pm

Surely it's worth a non capacity-controlled VIP- from Y to F (that can be used with any fare class)

mvoight Feb 24, 2006 2:35 am

As long as you are an EXP, you are free to reapply your upgrades when you fall asleep.

IceTrojan Feb 24, 2006 2:41 am

If I do fall asleep will AA allow me to reapply that upgrade to another flight, one that I'll be conscious enough to enjoy?

Regardless, don't you get to enjoy your nuts being warmed anyway?