AA73 ORD/HNL Upgrade Strategy?

Old Feb 22, 06, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond
AA73 ORD/HNL Upgrade Strategy?

Flying AA73 ORD to HNL on Friday 2/24 (36 hours from this posting). We're both (novice) EXP and have requested upgrades. Inventory shows A1 and F4. VERY nice agent at EXP desk characterized our chances of getting the upgrade based on our EXP status as good. Maybe she said very good. I was so stunned that she checked at all I don't quite remember her exact words.

In any case, what should we do? Wait? Take the lone A1 for 15thd miles and hope for the best for the second based on status? After all, a bird in hand..... But, what if we only get one, will FAs let us switch seats mid-flight? Anything I'm missing? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last edited by jockdAAddy; Feb 22, 06 at 9:12 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Feb 22, 06, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat/4MM, AS Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would wait it out if I were you. I have done this route before and have always gotten my upgrades as an EXP and a PLAT. They usualyl don't clear until the 24-36 hour timeframe so just be patient. Of course you could risk it, and it is a long flight definitely worth the mileage upgrade. Regardless of what you decide to do, make sure to check in at the 24 hour mark to maximize your chances for the sticker upgrade.

As for switching seats, I think that it is a YMMV as I have read posts from people who have done this no problem and thsoe have been red the riot act.
Old Feb 22, 06, 10:32 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IMHO - it's looking really tight. I would do these threethings:

1. Take the A seat.
2. Check-in at exactly 24 hours.
3. Call the EXP desk at 4:55 am and ask to try the UG again. Any remaining F seats unsold often go to X at that point.
Old Feb 23, 06, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond
Thanks for the tips....

Thanks for the ideas. One question: How does checking in affect the likelihood of an upgrade? Thanks again.
Old Feb 23, 06, 6:51 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it comes to the airport upgrade list, the following matters.

1. Status (EXP, PLAT, Gold)
2. Check-in time within yuor status group.

As and EXP if I checked in a precicely T-24:00 and you as an EXP checked in at T-23:55 and we both asked to be placed on the airport upgrade list, I would get the upgrade first.
Old Feb 23, 06, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
First, I would not suggest seat swapping. It would be high risk since they really have cracked down on movement between classes. Especially with a purser on board, which your flight will have. My wife and I were in F and the child and nanny were in Y four rows back. The FA said it would not be a problem for us to swap seats in flight, however, the purser overruled. Secondly, as for using the miles- it is the best use of upgrade miles I think you can get. A ~9 hour flight with no co pay. However, if your EXP and you have the same PNR, your chances are really good at the 24 hour mark BOME.
Old Feb 25, 06, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
For anyone interested, we (I was the other part of "we" in the OP's question) were both upgraded, one of us shortly after the question was posted (I'm guessing because of more lifetime miles?) and the other yesteday morning, as of the time we checked at 4:55 a.m. We realized we were taking a chance from the beginning by not just going ahead using miles to upgrade but since we had 21HJ seats we wanted to see how our status would work out in this case.
Old Feb 25, 06, 12:02 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Just curious how pathetic the pre-arrival snack prior to landing was?

Have a great trip.
Old Feb 25, 06, 2:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Just curious how pathetic the pre-arrival snack prior to landing was?

Have a great trip.
In late January it was the same old cheese, cracker and fruit plate. Though smaller potions than one would see in J to Europe.
Old Feb 25, 06, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
In late January it was the same old cheese, cracker and fruit plate. Though smaller potions than one would see in J to Europe.
And so it was yesterday - grapes to be specific. I wonder had we all chosen the fruit plate for dessert with the 10 a.m. lunch ( ), if the afternoon snack would have been brownie sundaes with raspberry sauce. Wouldn't breakfast be a little more appropriate for an 8:55 a.m. flight than lunch? Greek salad to start my day! Better than what they had in steerage, I'm sure.
Old Feb 25, 06, 2:26 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by HNL
Thanks. I heard a rumor that it was eliminated (ridiculous, given 9 hr. flight time) as of Feb. 1.

Meanwhile, CO still offers a hot sandwich, etc. prior to HNL arrival for IAH-HNL and EWR-HNL.
Old Feb 25, 06, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
And so it was yesterday - grapes to be specific. I wonder had we all chosen the fruit plate for dessert with the 10 a.m. lunch ( ), if the afternoon snack would have been brownie sundaes with raspberry sauce. Wouldn't breakfast be a little more appropriate for an 8:55 a.m. flight than lunch? Greek salad to start my day! Better than what they had in steerage, I'm sure.
was the salad as small as I have heard it has become? it used to be pretty nice. honestly, i wonder if arpey takes any pride at all in the in-flight product whatsoever. i doubt it. did you get like 2 crackers with grapes?

Old Feb 25, 06, 5:19 pm

Dinner salad - then short ribs, mashed potatoes and green beans or gorgonzola pasta. It wasn't bad, actually just too early.

FOUR crackers!
Old Feb 25, 06, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Dinner salad - then short ribs, mashed potatoes and green beans or gorgonzola pasta. It wasn't bad, actually just too early.

FOUR crackers!
Thanks. Wow - a whole four crackers...

honestly, I feel truly sorry for the FAs having to present this as an "F" service to Hawaii..
Old Feb 25, 06, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
Thanks. Wow - a whole four crackers...

honestly, I feel truly sorry for the FAs having to present this as an "F" service to Hawaii..
I feel even worse for the ones who have to present the main cabin "service" to Hawaii. Nine hours and they can't serve complimentary/real food??

Search this Thread