Upgrade Request Chances? Showing X0 on EF

Old Feb 22, 06, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Silver
Question Upgrade Request Chances? Showing X0 on EF

I am fairly new to this forum so my search abilities are limited. I am on a flight from STL to DFW this afternoon and requested an upgrade (never had a problem w/ this flight in the past). They have not given me the upgrade yet and I checked Expert Flyer - it is showing X0 but there are 3 seats open in first. What does this mean? Is this why I have not gotten my upgrade and there is no chance? Assuming I was the only one requesting an upgrade that has yet to be fulfilled (I know, unlikely), and those 3 seats are still open, would I get one of those? Just curious and hope someone can help. Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yield Management and their bubbling cauldrons and expectations of selling those seats, I'd guess. But try what toehrs have doen - call the automated upgrade line, and then do an OLCI (if you haven't already - I'd have recommended yesterday at the 24 hour threshhold) to get a head start on check-in times. Good luck.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
X0 doesn't mean you won't get the upgrade, but at such a close time to departure the upgrade will probably not clear until it's under airport control. You mention three open seats in F. Keep in mind that the seatmap (if that's what your using) doesn't accurately show the actual number of passengers holding a ticket in F. If, on the other hand, you are seeing F3 then there are still three open seats available.

To maximize your chances at this point, check-in as early as possible -preferably online if you haven't done so already. Right when you get to the airport request to be put on the upgrade list for the flight (once the flight goes under airport control a new upgrade list begins ordered first by status and second by the time of check-in). Finally, once you get to the gate check with the agent there to see where you stand.

Good luck!

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:09 am
Original Poster

I checked in at 24 hours. However, when I contacted the AA agent, she told me that it was based on who arrived at the airport. From reading all of these threads, it is hard to tell whether it is checkin time or arrival time that determines who gets the upgrade (on the same tier). When I told her that I was going to checkin online she said that had nothing to do w/ it... but then I asked how they would even know if I was at the airport if I had already checked in. She was didn't really have an answer?? I wish they would just state the rules and then follow them, consistently! Should I keep calling the automated upgrade line or is one time sufficient?
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While AA may hold three revenue seats until departure, the typical number seems to be two, so one upgrade may clear prior to the gate agent clearing the list. I may be mistaken, but I think you want to call exactly four hours prior to departure (or 3:59 prior). Others have posted that calling at this point may allow one to jump the que.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, Marriott, just about everything down to non-elite now, Avis PS
Originally Posted by Lawlover2
I checked in at 24 hours. However, when I contacted the AA agent, she told me that it was based on who arrived at the airport. From reading all of these threads, it is hard to tell whether it is checkin time or arrival time that determines who gets the upgrade (on the same tier). When I told her that I was going to checkin online she said that had nothing to do w/ it... but then I asked how they would even know if I was at the airport if I had already checked in. She was didn't really have an answer?? I wish they would just state the rules and then follow them, consistently! Should I keep calling the automated upgrade line or is one time sufficient?
All evidence suggests that the order in which you appear on the upgrade list is based on checkin time (within each elite group), though once the flight goes to airport control you'll need to ask again to get on the list, once you get to the airport. So the AAgent wouldn't necessarily be wrong if she was talking about merely being on the list at the airport, as opposed to priority order.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:15 am

Should I keep calling the automated upgrade line or is one time sufficient?
As FWAAA notes, you probably are okay calling once, shortly after the 4-hour mark has passed.

Mike
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:31 am
Original Poster

My next question is how early should I arrive for this flight (it departs at 5:33 p.m.). I would be willing to drop my luggage off and go back to work for a few hours! I am learning all the new tricks! Thanks for all of your knowledge!
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
Keep in mind that this is a short (550mi) flight from STL-DFW. We're not talking about a filet mignon dinner and free-flowing Krug here. Just some prepackaged nuts and a few rounds of drinks. I wouldn't reorganize your whole afternoon just to get a F seat. But, as always, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Oh, by the way, welcome to FT!

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My next question is how early should I arrive for this flight (it departs at 5:33 p.m.). I would be willing to drop my luggage off and go back to work for a few hours! I am learning all the new tricks! Thanks for all of your knowledge!
In terms of getting your upgrade, it doesn't matter. Chances are the final 3 F seats will go to X inventory at T-4 hours and be assigned to elites on the "advance" waitlist -- i.e., priority order by status first, original upgrade request time second.
If you don't get the upgrade at that point (and you will likely see F0 on EF), then you need to get on the airport upgrade waitlist. It generally doesn't matter when you actually put yourself on the list, your place on the list is determined by 1) status level and 2) time of check-in. So if you checked in online at T-24 hours, you should be the first Gold on the list. This airport list isn't usually cleared until very shortly before departure, when it's clear there are no-shows or misconnects. I'm not sure what happens if there's an F seat cancellation, say 2 hours prior to departure and you're not yet on the airport waitlist. I suppose in that somewhat unlikely event, you could be "passed" over for the upgrade, but I suspect the GAs don't process the airport waitlist until right before departure. If there is that F cancellation, and X inventory opens up too, you may be able to snag the seat by calling the automated information line and re-requesting the ugprade.
Old Feb 22, 06, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Keep in mind that this is a short (550mi) flight from STL-DFW. We're not talking about a filet mignon dinner and free-flowing Krug here. Just some prepackaged nuts and a few rounds of drinks. I wouldn't reorganize your whole afternoon just to get a F seat. But, as always, YMMV (your mileage may vary). Oh, by the way, welcome to FT!

-FlyerBeek
I know it is a short flight. Unfortunatley, I generally fly ERJ's or smaller (prop plane if you can believe it), so I rarely even have the chance to upgrade. I have all of these upgrades in my account that I never get to use. I am only a few miles short of my platinum challenge and then hopefully, this won't be as much of a problem! I will enjoy the free drinks and prepackaged nuts while I can
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
I know it is a short flight. Unfortunatley, I generally fly ERJ's or smaller (prop plane if you can believe it), so I rarely even have the chance to upgrade. I have all of these upgrades in my account that I never get to use. I am only a few miles short of my platinum challenge and then hopefully, this won't be as much of a problem! I will enjoy the free drinks and prepackaged nuts while I can
Two words, three times: BIG SEAT, BIG SEAT, BIG SEAT.

You may now go back to futzing around on FT and getting no work done.
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jakebeth
Two words, three times: BIG SEAT, BIG SEAT, BIG SEAT.

You may now go back to futzing around on FT and getting no work done.

Oh so true, this is soooo addictive! The "AA" game has taken over my life!
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

I am now totally confused. The AAgent at the Gold number told me everything has now been turned over to the airport - over 4 hours before our flight? I thought that occured at three hours or less?
Old Feb 22, 06, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am now totally confused. The AAgent at the Gold number told me everything has now been turned over to the airport - over 4 hours before our flight? I thought that occured at three hours or less?
Ya don't talk to a human at the four hour point - you call the automated number and re-submit your request.

And unless things have changed recently, you're right - the upgrade process is turned over to airports at the three hour point.

Call the automated system at exactly four hours prior.

Search this Thread