Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium service awful - 860,000 miles and I am done with AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Random Thoughts...

Some observations....

(1) The OP wasn't given miles, he didn't give AA miles, and he didn't "earn" miles. He bought them in one way or another. If he chooses not to use them, that's his call. (My guess is that as time passes, he'll realize that crappy F service on a rather short midafternoon flight isn't worth throwing in the towel for.)

(2) The service in F shouldn't vary based on whether it's paid F or upgraded F.

(3) Domestic F on a narrowbody is pretty lame with few exceptions. You're upgrading for the bigger seat and free beer, not a big meal. I know that sucks, but it's not like United is passing Dom around their domestic F cabin while pax dine on steak & tail. It's the snack box if they're lucky, and to me $3 (if that) worth of food isn't enough for me to swear off one carrier.

(4) All of that said, AA does seem to be cutting costs to the bone more than some others. But AMR is healthier than the other majors as well. It's a trade-off I guess: I'm pretty comfortable that AMR isn't going to go Chapter 7 on us.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by andrzej
is it 860K miles or is it 430K miles plus Plat bonuses? or possibly even less
That was my first thought when I saw this thread. I had 839,000 actual flight miles on UA when I moved to AA, and it took me over a dozen years to rack up that many. If the OP has flown that much and is just Platinum, he must have been flying on AA for over 15 years. Could a bunch of those even be credit card miles?

I don't see the issue in not getting a meal in a flight just over 2 hours. It's a non-issue to me (certainly wouldn't jump carriers over it).

So, LewDog, did you actually fly 860,00 miles with AA, or are those miles from other sources? Do you have lifetime status if those are actual flight miles?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by Flailey
The post sort of begs the question. What's the alternative? I've found AA flights to be among the cheapest for me almost every time lately. Theoretically I would pay slighly more to stay on AA and get miles, but I have't had to.

So is there some magic airline with both better service and better prices. Presumably you're not talking about moving on to Greyhound and from what I hear UA is no peach either, and you ain't getting no meals on the LCCs... not sure what the threat is. If you really want to make an impression you should tell them which carrier you intend to switch to, and why. That might get you a real response.
Agreed for sure. AA is definitely the cheapest for me almost all the time (in many cases much more so than JetBlue) and even when its not the cheapest, its usually only a few bucks more.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:33 am

the flight is outside meal times.....

No mention of paid F, so I assume 2 stickers(either free or $60 on top of cheap Y fare)
Like pinniped, I disagree that stickers should matter. In my experience, I get treated no differently when using stickers than anyone who pays for F.

The meal window issue, however, is key. And since no one has posted them, these are (as far as I know) the current meal windows in F (based upon departure time):

Breakfast: 4:00am – 9:00am
Lunch: 12:00pm – 1:30pm
Dinner: 6:15pm – 7:00pm
Snack: All flights longer than 2:30 outside the meal window

Mike
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by pinniped
But AMR is healthier than the other majors as well. It's a trade-off I guess: I'm pretty comfortable that AMR isn't going to go Chapter 7 on us.
Well, they'd likely have to stop in chapter 11 first, and I don't see that anytime soon. Don't they have something like $4 billion cash on hand?
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:37 am

oh well, let him find a better deal somewhere else.
Amen. The meal windows and offeriengs are well documented. Caveat Emptor, but its no different on any other airline.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
<< AA does seem to be cutting costs to the bone more than some others>>

I would say AA is testing premium cabin service elasticity. It's safe to assume they already know the effect of raising or lowering fares, but how else can they ascertain which of the bundled service elements affect their load factors?

dennis
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by nako
Like pinniped, I disagree that stickers should matter. In my experience, I get treated no differently when using stickers than anyone who pays for F.
I originally posted something of the lack of paid F, and I wasn't meaning that one should be treated differnetly with stickets or Paid F, but it was in response to someone a while back who mentioned that paid F passengers shouldn't be held responsbile for looking at what their meal service is (whehter a L, S or nothing). I agree with this.

However, if one is upgrading with stickers I would guess taht person would be more in tune with such devices as EF, etc and thus would be aware of how to accurately check what type of service (meal, aircraft type, etC) would be provided on a given flight. If one chooses to use stickers to upgrade then IMHO they would want ot check ahead of time to see what type of service they are using their stickets to upgrade to.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
Well, they'd likely have to stop in chapter 11 first, and I don't see that anytime soon. Don't they have something like $4 billion cash on hand?
Yeah, I don't see it now either, but it wouldn't bother me if they did. Ch.11 is simply a business tool - granted, if they were going to use it, they would have done on the same day DL and NW did.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I've been on this same flight several times over the last year, and I don't think it's ever had a meal on it, nor was it scheduled for one.

I have very low expectations for airline meals. If I get one on any flight other than a transcon, I'm surprised, if I think it's pretty good, I'm surprised even more. My low expectations have served me pretty well. Frankly, I was shocked that the mid-con F meals I had last week on AA were as good as they were based on some of the things I've been reading on the forum. But there again, my low expectations for airline meals continue to serve me well.

However, I don't think I will ever pick an airline I'm going to use for domestic travel based upon the quality of the meal. Now... if we're talking about several grand for a F or J international ticket, that's another subject entirely! In any event, everyone is entitled to their feelings on this subject and if the OP feels that this is the final straw, then that's their business.
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by nako

The meal window issue, however, is key. And since no one has posted them, these are (as far as I know) the current meal windows in F (based upon departure time):

Breakfast: 4:00am – 9:00am
Lunch: 12:00pm – 1:30pm
Dinner: 6:15pm – 7:00pm
Snack: All flights longer than 2:30 outside the meal window

Mike

that line was meant to go along with my final statement - let him find a better deal somewhere else.....

I do agree with you that the treatment should be the same.
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Let's see... AA 1370 Lv MIA 13:35 - Ar DCA 15:59, block time 2:24, 922 miles.

Well, at least you didn't have the opportunity to starve to death on a brief flight outside of any meal windows. I do hope you enjoyed your après-lunch drink(s), but I remain curious how many of those 860k miles are "butt-in-seat" miles? (My 2.9M+ include over 500k transferred from TWA, miles from status and class-of-service bonuses, credit cards, etc. I went after purposely, so my curiosity is aroused when people throw numbers around without any meaningful context. If it is all 860,000 EQMs in paid premium cabin, that could be significant, IMO.)

Er, btw, how much did you pay? Or was in a courtesy or points upgrade? Regardless, you got the space you deserved, which was considerably more space than if you had used an LLC, or if you'd been flying BA in CLub Europe, for instance.

I mean no animosity, but I do question some of the "diva-ness" I see on these boards, and seem to not be in considerable sympathy with your estimate of what you were owed vs. what you paid for. If you'd been on a transcon or transocean flight during a meal hour(s,) I'd be more inclined to feel your alleged pain.

Cheers
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: AA PLT
There are 8 flights a day MIA-DCA. In First, the first two flights serve breakfast, the next one (@ 11.51am) serves lunch, next 2 (your flight included) have no meal service, next one (@5.50pm) serves dinner, next one (@7.06pm) serves a snack, last one has no meal service. I think this is very good for a flight that often is less than 2 hours in the air (I just flew it last week). If a meal is so important to you, check the schedules instead of throwing a hissy fit.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:10 am

is it 860K miles or is it 430K miles plus Plat bonuses? or possibly even less.... not that it matters that much, but if the OP joined in 2000 and Plat from 2001 and assuming that he did just over 50K miles per year, that's ~300K actual flying miles....
What does it matter how the miles were accrued? However the OP got the miles, he/she generated money for AA whether it be through BIS or AA partners (who would have to purchase them from AA). The point the OP was making was how he has been LOYAL to AA. To discredit the OP's comments/rant based on how he got his "Total Miles" is irrelevant.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:12 am
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you'd been on a transcon or transocean flight during a meal hour(s,) I'd be more inclined to feel your alleged pain.
FWIW, I just flew transatlantic in coach, and the food they served there was exactly equivalent to the food they serve in domestic F. That is not a compliment to the food in coach, either. And, while some do not fly F solely for the space, we need to start recognizing that AA's attitude is that the space is the only benefit they believe is sacred in F, so that is the only benefit upon which we can count. . . for now.

It's kind of like the "flight attendants are there primarily for your safety" bit. A way for them to justify downgrading service by redefining the function of that service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.