Any way to beat MCT? (NRT)

Old Feb 21, 06, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Any way to beat MCT? (NRT)

I went to book my may travel BKK-SFO for May and discovered that the schedules have changed just enough that JL708 NRT-BKK no longer allows a legal connection at NRT for AA128 NRT-SJC. The new schedule allows 70 minutes, which should (IMO) be plenty of time -- I've never needed that much time before.

I've tried multi-city without success.

One of the key reasons for looking at this is that otherwise it narrows my options and raises my cost significantly. Otherwise I might think about BKK-NRT-HNL-SFO (although that puts the last leg on a 757, which isn't much fun).

I'm willing to pay the fee to ticket over the phone if that'll make it happen -- it'd be worth the savings.

Steve
Old Feb 21, 06, 10:02 pm

espritch's offer notwithstanding

What happens when you try the multi-city?
Old Feb 21, 06, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
sllevin, I empathize with your plight. I started a thread about a week ago pretty much describing the same problem with regards to DFW-NRT-TPE. AA has tweaked its DFW-NRT schedule by just five minutes, making the connection onto CX illegal.

To be sure, AA won't allow that 70-min connection, as they require 90 minutes were having to transfer terminals in NRT.

All the other options I'm looking at are also raising my costs significantly.

I was suggested to write to AA's office of the president and let them know how these minor schedule changes are having a major impact on many customers. If you have a few mins to draft a similar letter and send it off, perhaps AA will start to realize that these sked changes are causing us a big headache.
Old Feb 21, 06, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alamedaguy
espritch's offer notwithstanding

What happens when you try the multi-city?
When I try multi-city, I can't get the codeshare BKK-NRT to show up. I can't even seemingly get the JL flight to show up. I'm going to play with it more.

And I am definitely going to write a letter -- given the extent of codesharing out of NRT (with the idea that it "extends the AA network") things like this are a major issue.

Steve
Old Feb 22, 06, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by sllevin
When I try multi-city, I can't get the codeshare BKK-NRT to show up. I can't even seemingly get the JL flight to show up. I'm going to play with it more.

Steve
I wonder if the flight isn't available as a codeshare without the NRT-US connection, causing aa.com to omit it from the multi-city search. I get JAL 708 to come up far down the list, but it sounds like that won't help.

edit: For a random day, it prices at $695.50 for a one way Q fare. I guess you would only earn 70% of the miles on the JAL segment, and no EQMs?

Last edited by alamedaguy; Feb 22, 06 at 12:19 am

Search this Thread