How to get 45K miles? For 4!

Old Feb 21, 06, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

How to get 45K miles? For 4!

It might seem a little odd, but I'm trying to book 4 flights at the end of June for SFO-JFK but just started on Aadvantage so we don't have any miles.

Two credit card apps per person is doable, but that only gets 40K miles. WHat is the easiest way to make up the 0ther 5K?

Also, what do you think fares will be for sfo-jfk if I bought a ticket instead?

(I mention the 45K award price because the 25K regular milsesaver awards are not available anymore)

Thanks for any insight!
Old Feb 21, 06, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
Originally Posted by magic168
It might seem a little odd, but I'm trying to book 4 flights at the end of June for SFO-JFK but just started on Aadvantage so we don't have any miles.

Two credit card apps per person is doable, but that only gets 40K miles. WHat is the easiest way to make up the 0ther 5K?

(I mention the 45K award price because the 25K regular milsesaver awards are not available anymore)

Thanks for any insight!
Chances are about zero that this is a good use of your miles. Consider paying cash and earning miles instead. Unless you are severely poor and will almost never travel.

Otherwise paying 45k miles for a SFO-JFK domestic coach ticket, when you don't have way too many miles burning a hole in your pocket, is probably not a good idea. Using the 1-2 cents per mile rule of thumb you'd have to be saving at LEAST $500 or so for this to make sense. I didn't bother to look up fares but I bet you can pay less than that. And you should.
Old Feb 21, 06, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fly 3 DFW or DAL roundtrips to certain destinations and get 30k bonus miles. Fly 6 roundtrips and get 60k bonus miles. Very cheap miles. Details at: http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/Vie...omotionContent
Old Feb 21, 06, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flailey
Chances are about zero that this is a good use of your miles. Consider paying cash and earning miles instead. Unless you are severely poor and will almost never travel.

Otherwise paying 45k miles for a SFO-JFK domestic coach ticket, when you don't have way too many miles burning a hole in your pocket, is probably not a good idea. Using the 1-2 cents per mile rule of thumb you'd have to be saving at LEAST $500 or so for this to make sense. I didn't bother to look up fares but I bet you can pay less than that. And you should.
It's actually a big anniversary date, and we're not well off enough to afford the $500+/person ticket. We rarely if ever travel.

45K will actually get seats in first class right now, which seems odd for us because some of us haven't flown in 10+ years. :\

I did read the Dallas promo but I think that's not do-able for us.
Old Feb 21, 06, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Oh yes, fares right now are around 450 per person, not 500+.
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
On a good sale you'll see fares in the low $200 range (plus taxes). Be sure you look at OAK-JFK or SJC-JFK, as you might see a sale from a different departure airport than SFO.

Have you looked at 25K award availability from these alternate airports? That may solve all your problems, if you want to spend 25,000 miles per ticket and be done with it. I did that myself this past November for Thanksgiving travel.
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
It's actually a big anniversary date, and we're not well off enough to afford the $500+/person ticket. We rarely if ever travel.

45K will actually get seats in first class right now, which seems odd for us because some of us haven't flown in 10+ years. :\

I did read the Dallas promo but I think that's not do-able for us.
First class makes a little more sense. I wasn't sure what you were referrring to with 45k miles but that's too much for coach.

For award first class, if it's really important to you to be in first class, then you can try to find ways to get the miles. One thing to consider is to have each of the four people apply for two citibank aa cards (one amex and one mastercard), get the 30k+ miles each, and then buy tickets and mileage upgrade them.

But that doesn't make much sense to me given how much money you claim to not have. You can of course just go and buy some miles. But if you don't want to spend money that doesn't help you either.

What you're essentially asking for is something for nothing. You don't have any miles (which have a rough cash value) or cash and you want free first class tickets for four people. Without spending anything.

No such thing as a free lunch.... as they say
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This may be in the wrong Forum, then... but I suspect you could get decent seats for much less on B6 (JetBlue) out of Oakland, or on AA while they are still competing with B6 out of OAK. Hint: more legroom toward the rear of the aircraft on B6.

Old Feb 21, 06, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if I gave the impression that I *want* to be in first class. That's not true. Coach is not available. But first-class is. And it's the same point value as an "anytime" coach. I must've sounded more like a spoiled idiot than I usually do if you thought I "must" be in first-class for free.
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
On a good sale you'll see fares in the low $200 range (plus taxes). Be sure you look at OAK-JFK or SJC-JFK, as you might see a sale from a different departure airport than SFO.

Have you looked at 25K award availability from these alternate airports? That may solve all your problems, if you want to spend 25,000 miles per ticket and be done with it. I did that myself this past November for Thanksgiving travel.
Any idea when these sales occur? And end of June is, unfortunately, peak season, as I understand it. Will it be that cheap still?

I am *not* well versed in travel planning, and I appreciate all of the advice given so far.
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'm seeing $329 + taxes round trip (mid-week, late June, AA out of OAK.) AA makes a one stop flight out of OAK, B6 is nonstop. Of course, it will probably be more Friday, weekends, etc.
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
Have everyone do a Lincoln Zephyr test drive (2500 miles) and watch the video (250 miles). That will get you almost there.
Old Feb 21, 06, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any idea when these sales occur?
Really impossible to predict, as fares go up and down every day. I do see a SFO-EWR $284 (plus tax) if you wanted to lock something in, but I suspect you'll see something lower than that from the Bay Area in the weeks ahead.
Old Feb 21, 06, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How locked are you into flying into the NY area? If you're renting a car, could you fly into DC, PHL, somewhere else? I see a $163RT (plus tax) on AA for SFO-DCA/IAD for travel in June. If you have options, I'd jump on this.

Search this Thread