Who to call for mileage upgrade?

Old Feb 21, 06, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage: PLAT (300K lifetime and counting)
Who to call for mileage upgrade?

It seems to make a difference who you call on many things, so to request an international mileage upgrade, should I call reservations, AAdvantage customer service, or AAdvantage award travel?

If anyone with full KVS registration or Expert Flyer would like to help a lowly Gold directly ( ) I'm trying to find out if there are any upgrade seats available on AA42 ORD-CDG on May 8 or AA49 CDG-DFW on May 19.

Thanks either way!
Old Feb 21, 06, 12:23 am

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
Award tickets are not upgradeable, so don't waste energy, if this is a revenue ticket, call the GLD line and be put on the list as there is no C availability of either of those flights.

It seems AA is holding more seats now a days (my April trip to India has plenty of seats in J seems like only 2 seats taken, and J7, yet my VIP has to clear)

and FYI... you can either call AA or check ExpertFlyer... KVS in this case is not going to help

Regards,
Ken
Old Feb 21, 06, 12:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In case you are on an upgradable (not O or Q or award, for example) AA42 ORD-CDG on May 8 shows C0 but J7 D7 I6 Y7 B7 H7 W7 K7 M7 L7 S7 G7 N7 V7 Q7 O0, which I think shows a very good chance of upgrading (still 6 I seats, and 7 or more D seats for sale.)

AA49 CDG-DFW on May 19 shows C0 and J7 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 W7 M7 L7 S7 G7 V7 N7 O0 Q7, which IMO does not bode as well for an upgraded return, with no D seats available this far out.

To request an upgrade, call the AAdvantage Gold number.
Old Feb 21, 06, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
In case you are on an upgradable (not O or Q or award, for example) AA42 ORD-CDG on May 8 shows C0 but J7 D7 I6 Y7 B7 H7 W7 K7 M7 L7 S7 G7 N7 V7 Q7 O0, which I think shows a very good chance of upgrading (still 6 I seats, and 7 or more D seats for sale.)

AA49 CDG-DFW on May 19 shows C0 and J7 D0 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 W7 M7 L7 S7 G7 V7 N7 O0 Q7, which IMO does not bode as well for an upgraded return, with no D seats available this far out.

To request an upgrade, call the AAdvantage Gold number.

Thanks, guys! They are upgradeable tix: fare code N. I just read about the D/I seats on another thread and checked that in KVS. I guess I'll try for the upgrade on the outbound flight instead of the return. :-( Oh well, the food coming back from Paris wasn't too bad last time, even in coach.
Old Feb 21, 06, 12:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

g33, my own preference is to get some real food on the ground and sleep my way eastbounbd over the pond. Westward, I can keep busy and dont really want to sleep so I can adjust to local time more quickly.

Good luck, and enjoy... and if you want a great but not outrageously expensive meal made with very fresh organic ingredients in a very, very old house behind Notre Dame that the tourists usually miss, try Au Vieux Paris d'Arcole and say hello to Odette and Georges.
Old Feb 21, 06, 5:35 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by g33kgrl
I
If anyone with full KVS registration or Expert Flyer would like to help a lowly Gold directly ( ) I'm trying to find out if there are any upgrade seats available on AA42 ORD-CDG on May 8 or AA49 CDG-DFW on May 19.

Thanks either way!
Instead of asking here with smileys how about you pay the smallest fee for EF and look? Asking for free inquiries is unfair to EF, or they may raise MY fees.
Old Feb 21, 06, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by g33kgrl
Thanks, guys! They are upgradeable tix: fare code N. I just read about the D/I seats on another thread and checked that in KVS. I guess I'll try for the upgrade on the outbound flight instead of the return. :-( Oh well, the food coming back from Paris wasn't too bad last time, even in coach.
Is that a fare requiring $250 to upgrade each way in addition to the miles?
Old Feb 21, 06, 5:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Yes. Any fare other than Y/B.
Old Feb 21, 06, 1:33 pm

OTOH, giving a poster one or two EF samples might be the tilting point that gets them to buy their own, 'cause anyone who continually asks for freebie EF info is likely to get chastised (and I'd guess anyone who gave it out to repeaters freely and frequently would be contacted by EF to cease and desist.)

In this case, this was someone who didn't even know whom to call at AA to request an upgrade; I hope the information for two flights leads the OP and others to seriously investigate EF for regular use / purchase.

Cheers

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Instead of asking here with smileys how about you pay the smallest fee for EF and look? Asking for free inquiries is unfair to EF, or they may raise MY fees.
Old Feb 21, 06, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
OK, you're in charge of keeping track of how many have asked YTD.

Although given the work people will undertake to save $10 or $15 for various AA fees, I suppose not paying $4.95 is something some will try to do until told to stop. Out of respect for EF, and having been chastisted once myself, I won't offer freebies.
Old Feb 21, 06, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with ricktoronto.

IMO, anyone too cheap to subscribe to EF should just call AA - the agents there will be happy to answer questions re: upgrade availability.

Sorta consistent with my opinion of unaccompanied "guests" at Admirals Clubs.

Not completely OT (kinda related idea): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527449
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
I guess I'm a bit more liberal ... I don't see a problem with "guesting" someone into the AC or giving them some information from EF on a very occasional basis, especially if the "giftee" is not a frequent traveler.

And I go to extreme lengths to avoid the nickel-and-time charges ... not so much because I'm cheap, but because I feel that they are not warranted in many cases.
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
Oh save it... my reason was the FT handle

now asking for my VIP would have been a different case

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407516
Old Feb 21, 06, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to stir up the hornets' nest. As I said in the original post, I would have been fine with just the answer about who to call, but I'm not so stupid that I'd turn down some help too.

I haven't travel much and have never even thought about, let alone acted on, most issues that come up here (like upgrades and fare codes), so $5 a month or what EF costs is not worth it to me yet. However, I have racked up 60,000+ miles (mostly bonus, not BIS) in the last 6 months, so I hope that at some point soon, I will be flying more and EF will become a valuable tool that I'll be happy to pay for. :-)

Thanks for all the answers and insight.
Old Feb 21, 06, 4:07 pm

No worries, g33kgrl. An FT without differences of opinion would be dry and boring. It is a lot of things, but never those...

When the time comes, EF is nice - I find the annual subscription has paid for itself many, many times over - in actual savings, in finding scarce flights for upgrades or awards: even friends from Oz to Mexico and return in QF Business during the high season. They do offer a trial sub, but if you get serious about flying (be aware this can be very, very contagious,) it's a great tool.

Nah, I'm not gonna keep score other than for me, Rick and FWAAA, that's too much like work. I will take your suggestions under advisement. Work? Speaking of...

Search this Thread