Wiki Posts
Search

Purchase upgrade possible to PBI?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2006, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
Purchase upgrade possible to PBI?

In a few weeks I'll be flying for the first time from New York LGA to Palm Beach, Fl. I've just purchased my ticket online (Q booking code).

For my flights out and back, the seat selection feature shows economy seats as almost all taken; on the other hand, the first class seats for the flights out and back are shown as nearly all available.

My question: does AA offer upgrade opportunities for a price when I do online check-in? or when I arrive at the gate?

Thanks very much in advance. I'm posting this question in the thought that perhaps the experienced among you will have knowledge of this part of the business.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD
Seems like you don't have any status of AA, in that case check this thread out

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=space
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
You can cancel the ticket, pay the $100 fee and buy a business class ticket. That's a form of paid upgrade. In short, don't bet the farm on the machine upgrades or anything else.

Note also the seatmaps in AA.com don't show you availibility really very well at all.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 8:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Rick's thinking of those Canada - US flights but LGA-PBI is domestic First. To find if there's a halfway decent rate (a YUP fare) try using aa.com, select More Options on the booking form, ask to sort by fare, request Business class or higher with restrictions. That will possibly give you fares that, when yuo click on the View Detailed Fare Rules option, will look like YUPxxxx or YxxUPxxx which will be a Y-class fare that books into First.

Of course, a Q fare will have change fees, so you will have to call and have the ticket changed.

I understand you will probably not do this - but this is the only way I can think of you are fairly sure to get an upgrade. The LFBU? Maybe... check with the kiosk / machines when you arrive. The chances? It was Spring last week in northern California (but we got freezing / near freezing weather since.)
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: hardly any
Thanks, all three.

Thanks to all three of you for sharing your knowledge with me. Special thanks, kenfry, for the informative link! I'll report back here to let you know if there is a kiosk upgrade offer and how much it cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.