FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Fare Class Code C -- how many EQMs? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/528517-fare-class-code-c-how-many-eqms.html)

DavidHatt Feb 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Fare Class Code C -- how many EQMs?

Hello FTers,

I searched this forum and the aa.com website and I could not find how many EQMs I get for a C booking are on an international flight.

How many do I get?

When I booked the ticket with an RA, I told her specifically a B fare and somehow it shows C. Also, should I be worried?

Thank you in advance for replying.

David

alamedaguy Feb 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by DavidHatt
Hello FTers,

I searched this forum and the aa.com website and I could not find how many EQMs I get for a C booking are on an international flight.

How many do I get?

When I booked the ticket with an RA, I told her specifically a B fare and somehow it shows C. Also, should I be worried?

Thank you in advance for replying.

David

C is an upgrade class, so it would not be listed on aa.com. The EQMs come from the class you booked originally. Did you try to upgrade this flight?

JDiver Feb 20, 2006 2:09 pm

If you booked at a B fare, you were likely upgraded into C class, but the purchased fare class is what counts. B = 1.5 EQP per EQM.

You can double-check at the Aa refunds site, by entering your information and acting as if you were going to refund - before you pull the trigger, you can see the detailed fare information pertaining to your purchased fare, iirc.

DavidHatt Feb 20, 2006 3:17 pm

Hello Alamedaguy and JDiver,

I did book in B and I did use miles to upgrade. It looks as though I will be getting 1.5 x the BIS miles.

Thank you both!

David

JDiver Feb 20, 2006 3:32 pm

Great! Have great flights, David!

brp Feb 20, 2006 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by DavidHatt
Hello Alamedaguy and JDiver,

I did book in B and I did use miles to upgrade. It looks as though I will be getting 1.5 x the BIS miles.

Thank you both!

David

But remember, as noted, you will get only as many EQMs as you fly. The multiplier will be on EQPs, not EQMs. An important distinction if you will be qualifying on miles. If you're a points qualifier, then the EQP multiplier is the most relevant.

Cheers.

JDiver Feb 20, 2006 5:27 pm

Hmm, that lack of clarity on my and the OP's part got by me - yes, you will earn the EQM (BIS) miles you fly, the EQP as a multiplier (0.5 to 1.5) of the EQM you fly. If you have AA status, you will also get 25 - 100% bonus miles, but they would be redeemable miles, as are all miles, but not Elite-Qualifying.

So, if B, EQM = miles flown according to AA, EQP = EQM x 1.5.

If you had purchased a Business class fare (I, D, J) you would also earn 25% Class Of Service bonus (redeemable only) miles, and First, (A, F, P) 50% COS.

If you were signed up for a Challenge the EQP would be what you would be looking at.

If you are seeking annual status, EQM, EQP and segments all qualify.

AAdvantage Elite Qualifications.

DavidHatt Feb 22, 2006 6:35 am

Hello JDiver,

Since your brought up the Challenge part. I am leaning towards. I have am flying SJC-DCA in May -- paid for the F ticket. So that could be my Gold Challenge and then in August to GRU for my Platinum Challenge.

And, yes, I used the wrong terminology, brp, I should have said EQP not EQM. Thank you for catching it.

Thank you all!

David

JDiver Feb 22, 2006 7:00 am

G'day, David,

Your Challenge ideas seem sound, and completing the Platinum Challenge in August will render Platinum status through Feb 28 2008. SJC-DFW-DCA would earn Gold on a 1:1 points-earning fare (via ORD defitinely requires the Y, B or F 1:1.5.) ^

AA2070 Feb 22, 2006 9:32 am

Someone explain this then:
S fare, upgraded with eVIP to J
Code:

12/09/05 AMERICAN AIRLINES 50 C DFW LGW 4,771 5,964 10,735
For even more fun, here's the return:
Again, S, upgraded with eVIP to J
Code:

12/12/05 AMERICAN AIRLINES 51 Y LGW DFW 4,771 4,771 9,542

alamedaguy Feb 22, 2006 10:19 am

Originally Posted by AA2070
Someone explain this then:
S fare, upgraded with eVIP to J
Code:

12/09/05 AMERICAN AIRLINES 50 C DFW LGW 4,771 5,964 10,735
For even more fun, here's the return:
Again, S, upgraded with eVIP to J
Code:

12/12/05 AMERICAN AIRLINES 51 Y LGW DFW 4,771 4,771 9,542

Just guessing here, since I've never flown paid business :( ;)

The return looks correct, but I imagine the first flight was not C at the time you flew it. Did the upgrade clear at the gate, or were there irregular ops that required rebooking at some point? The agent could have put the segment in J rather than try to find C for you, giving you a 25% bonus. Your q-points should have been higher, too.