How does AA catch up on a long international delay?

Old Feb 20, 06, 2:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
How does AA catch up on a long international delay?

Next week I'm flying MIA-GRU-GIG. Just out of curiocity I checked last night's flight gate info and found that the 11:20pm departure was rescheduled for 8am this morning. Hey, stuff happens.

What I'm wondering about is how does the flight eventually gets brought up to it's regularly scheduled time? This is probably the same plane that does the turn around or is at most one of 3 that does the "circle" thing. We all know that AA does not have any spare 777s lying around, just waiting to be dispatched to any part of the world in situations like this, so what happens? Do they just make up couple of hours everyday till they catch up? or what???

I don't see this as a big problem domestically as there are always few MadDogs and 757s around, but with their limited 767 and 777 fleet I see a major delay like this as more than just a 1 flight problem.

Any insight?
Old Feb 20, 06, 2:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No insight here, but I am willing to bet those AA employees in Dispatch earn their money at those times - perhaps others put in lots more overtime on whatever comparable metal is sitting in a B or C check as well?
Old Feb 20, 06, 2:29 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by JDiver
No insight here, but I am willing to bet those AA employees in Dispatch earn their money at those times - perhaps others put in lots more overtime on whatever comparable metal is sitting in a B or C check as well?

Good point re: Dispatch - they sure had to work re: DFW the last couple of days.

P.S. - Note to Dispatch: In the future, please keep New Orleans gate agents informed when you "borrow" our inbound (from DFW), and send it to Guadalajara instead.

On the other hand, they were dealing with a big mess at DFW the last couple of days, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Hurrah - the Sun has FINALLY come out in Dallas....
Old Feb 20, 06, 2:49 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Hurrah - the Sun has FINALLY come out in Dallas.... [/QUOTE]

Is "G W" in town!!
Old Feb 20, 06, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by andrzej
Next week I'm flying MIA-GRU-GIG. Just out of curiocity I checked last night's flight gate info and found that the 11:20pm departure was rescheduled for 8am this morning. Hey, stuff happens.

What I'm wondering about is how does the flight eventually gets brought up to it's regularly scheduled time? This is probably the same plane that does the turn around or is at most one of 3 that does the "circle" thing. We all know that AA does not have any spare 777s lying around, just waiting to be dispatched to any part of the world in situations like this, so what happens? Do they just make up couple of hours everyday till they catch up? or what???

I don't see this as a big problem domestically as there are always few MadDogs and 757s around, but with their limited 767 and 777 fleet I see a major delay like this as more than just a 1 flight problem.

Any insight?
Well, in South America, the planes not doing a second leg to another city sit around all day long before flying out at night. In other words, it takes a very long delay to seriously impact the return flight. In this case, the a/c would probably arrive in time to turn right around for the states, thereby minimizing the delay on the return flight.

Of course, the problem is that the cabin crew of that delayed flight were probably rostered to return that same evening, which would now be impossible. AA would have to come-up with some way to get another crew to fly the return flight.
Old Feb 20, 06, 3:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresRDC
Well, in South America, the planes not doing a second leg to another city sit around all day long before flying out at night. In other words, it takes a very long delay to seriously impact the return flight. In this case, the a/c would probably arrive in time to turn right around for the states, thereby minimizing the delay on the return flight.

Of course, the problem is that the cabin crew of that delayed flight were probably rostered to return that same evening, which would now be impossible. AA would have to come-up with some way to get another crew to fly the return flight.
This particular flight (and I believe equipment) does not end in GRU. I goes to GIG. At least that's what I'm scheduled on. Yesterday's 11:20 pm flight left at 8:47 am this morning and it still has not landed in GRU, (it's scheduled for 7pm local time), so unless they put the GIG passengers in a hotel or put them on different flight(s), and stop the flight there (very possible) it won't get to GIG until sometime midnight (local time) tonight. That same equipment is scheduled to leave GIG to GRU to MIA at about 7 or 8 pm local time tonight.

I believe they do have crews based out of both cities so that may not be as big of a problem.
Old Feb 20, 06, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
I do believe that you generally change planes in GRU. Flight 951 is the one that comes in from JFK.
Old Feb 20, 06, 5:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
I do believe that you generally change planes in GRU. Flight 951 is the one that comes in from JFK.
but obviously that flight has left loooong time ago.......
Old Feb 20, 06, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
I knew you'd say that right after I hit the Submit Reply button!

That's why I said "generally."

I would assume that in this case, alternate arrangements had to be made for the pax originating in MIA to get from GIG to GRU.
Old Feb 20, 06, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
I believe they do have crews based out of both cities so that may not be as big of a problem.
There isn't a base in Brazil. Just Buenos Aires, Bogotá, Lima, and Santiago.

But it wouldn't be hard to send someone over to GIG or GRU...

I wonder what would happen though if one of the DFW- or JFK-bound flights (ie EZE-DFW) needs a replacement crew. The South American nationals are not allowed from S America to any hub except MIA.
Old Feb 20, 06, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
I wonder what would happen though if one of the DFW- or JFK-bound flights (ie EZE-DFW) needs a replacement crew. The South American nationals are not allowed from S America to any hub except MIA.
Makes no sense. What's the hang up? Hopefully not a union rule!
Old Feb 20, 06, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Makes no sense. What's the hang up? Hopefully not a union rule!
The contract allows for South American nationals to fly ONLY to Miami. They are NOT allowed to fly on any route from South America to, say, DFW.

So, if there is a need for a replacement crew on say EZE-MIA or LIM-MIA it would be easy to get one since there are bases in both EZE and LIM. But it would be much harder for EZE-DFW since the crews based at EZE are not permitted to fly that route. Perhaps the contract allows for some sort of emergency replacement...

Search this Thread