Best C Class Option DFW-GVA

Old Feb 19, 06, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Best C Class Option DFW-GVA

I have managed to take this trip twice in the last 2 months and have at least 2 more trips to make in the next month. I don't think I can stand another trip in the AA business class product. Maybe if they start up the 42K mile promo to London I might make the sacrifice but without any bonus offers I am looking for the most comfortable way to get to GVA in business class while adding to my Q points for the year. I have thought about flying to YYZ to take BA, go to JFK and fly the Swiss code share direct, and even thought about taking IB through MAD.

Maybe I am just too picky but the AA business class seat is not built for my height, I am 6'3". Plus the every greater reduction in food and less than friendly service in flight has made me look for other options. Right now my favorite part of the trip is the 2 hr flight from LON-GVA on BA.
Old Feb 19, 06, 5:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think you just answered your own question.

Maybe DFW-MEX-LHR-GVA?
Old Feb 19, 06, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by eagl70
I have managed to take this trip twice in the last 2 months and have at least 2 more trips to make in the next month. I don't think I can stand another trip in the AA business class product. Maybe if they start up the 42K mile promo to London I might make the sacrifice but without any bonus offers I am looking for the most comfortable way to get to GVA in business class while adding to my Q points for the year. I have thought about flying to YYZ to take BA, go to JFK and fly the Swiss code share direct, and even thought about taking IB through MAD.

Maybe I am just too picky but the AA business class seat is not built for my height, I am 6'3". Plus the every greater reduction in food and less than friendly service in flight has made me look for other options. Right now my favorite part of the trip is the 2 hr flight from LON-GVA on BA.
Iberia is an airline that is rather inconsistent, but I do love its new BusinessPlus class. The seats in this class are even more comfortable than Club World flat beds, in my opinion, and all of them face forward. In addition, IB's new BusinessPlus cabin features an onboard bar/snack area, really nice blankets and amenity kits, and an enhanced meal concept that easily surpasses Club World meals (on some routes in Club World, you can have the cheese plate, but not dessert) and snacks such as sandwiches, ice cream, and cheese, are available all throughout the flight.

Thus, as an alternative, I would suggest DFW - MIA, which would allow you to fly the nice B777 flight departing at 11:15 AM, and then MIA-MAD with Iberia on an A340-600 equipped with the new BusinessPlus beds departing at 4:10 pm. Then, MAD-GVA with Swiss , yet this might require an extra flight, i.e., MAD-ZRH, ZRH-GVA.

Swiss has a direct flight from JFK to GVA but it is operated by a 3-class
A330-200 with the old Business Class seats. You can easily catch this flight from DFW. This wouldn't be by first choice, but Swiss is a great airline.

As a final note, British Airways is one of my favorite carriers, but I honestly would never fly them in Club World. Even on the longest flights, Club World meals are not very filling, despite their high quality as I tried to explain before. BA FIRST is another story .
Old Feb 19, 06, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
Iberia is an airline that is rather inconsistent, but I do love its new BusinessPlus class. The seats in this class are even more comfortable than Club World flat beds, in my opinion, and all of them face forward. In addition, IB's new BusinessPlus cabin features an onboard bar/snack area..
Have you seen that area in use? On the last 3 times I flew IB BusinessPlus, that area was completely unstocked-- no booze, no snacks. No biggie, but I see you mention it a lot here, I'm curious if they ever actually use it as intended.
Old Feb 19, 06, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Have you seen that area in use? On the last 3 times I flew IB BusinessPlus, that area was completely unstocked-- no booze, no snacks. No biggie, but I see you mention it a lot here, I'm curious if they ever actually use it as intended.
I think it depends on the cabin crews. As I said before, Iberia is very inconsistent. On one of my flights, the area was unstocked, so I contacted the Purser and he seemed incredibly embarrassed at this. I later heard him reprehending the J cabin crew for not having stocked the bar area at all. After that, the cabin crew kept checking on passengers and asking if they wanted any snacks. Of course, they should have been doing that in the first place without the Purser having to intervene.

Bottom line, Iberia has some of the nicest and some of the most unprofessional cabin crews you will ever meet. In general, the Pursers are very approachable and willing to help. I'm pretty certain that Iberia caters all long-haul flights with plenty of snacks, but ultimately, it is the cabin crew's responsibility to make these items available. Apparently, the new uniforms give them a "I'm a model, not a server" feel. It's a miracle how Iberia is far more profitable than significantly better European airlines.

Last edited by fly747first; Feb 19, 06 at 5:57 pm
Old Feb 19, 06, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it depends on the cabin crews. As I said before, Iberia is very inconsistent. On one of my flights, the area was unstocked, so I contacted the Purser and he seemed incredibly embarrassed at this. I later heard him reprehending the J cabin crew for not having stocked the bar area at all. After that, the cabin crew kept checking on passengers and asking if they wanted any snacks. Of course, they should have been doing that in the first place without the Purser having to intervene.

Bottom line, Iberia has some of the nicest and some of the most unprofessional cabin crews you will ever meet. In general, the Pursers are very approachable and willing to help. I'm pretty certain that Iberia caters all long-haul flights with plenty of snacks, but ultimately, it is the cabin crew's responsibility to make them available.
I think you meant "reprimanding"

As far as the second paragraph, I agree with every single word. I've had mostly great experiences with IB-- but I can just sorta' tell that I've also just been lucky. This sentence" "Iberia has some of the nicest and some of the most unprofessional cabin crews" really does say it all!

But the BusinessPlus product itself, the seat, the IFE, the atmosphere, etc. really is fantastic, IMHO.
Old Feb 19, 06, 10:29 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
As a final note, British Airways is one of my favorite carriers, but I honestly would never fly them in Club World. Even on the longest flights, Club World meals are not very filling, despite their high quality as I tried to explain before. BA FIRST is another story .
And in CW if you're 6'3" you will find the stretch-out options are not so good.
Old Feb 20, 06, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
And in CW if you're 6'3" you will find the stretch-out options are not so good.
I agree. Though I'm 5'8'', I only settle for BA First. Club World really needs to be, hmmm "relaunched." Sure, they recently started enhancing the cushions, but other than that, it is still the same flat bed.

Search this Thread