Wiki Posts
Search

DFW-BKK question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
DFW-BKK question

On AA.com $4800.00 business class RT. I can take CX (LAX)(SFO) via HKG both ways. Or I can take AA to NRT then jump on JAL Business. I have been on CX in First before but not business. I never have been on JAL from NRT. Any thoughts on either airline? Would anyone say this is a good fare? Any ideas for something lower or is this about it?

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mach92
...Or I can take AA to NRT then jump on JAL Business.
Well, you certainly don't want to do that-- or at least do it on the JL codeshare. (Unless you're planning on upgrading on the AA metal flight, then, maybe.)
Old Feb 19, 2006, 3:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
For the most miles (and more importantly, status miles, since JL won't count for status unless on a codeshare), you should fly DFW-LAX-HKG-BKK using CX. Plus of course any other segments you can work in...
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by alex0683de
For the most miles (and more importantly, status miles, since JL won't count for status unless on a codeshare), you should fly DFW-LAX-HKG-BKK using CX. Plus of course any other segments you can work in...
I disagree. I have flown DFW/BKK 6 times in the last 10 months and while I have taken both the CX thru HKG and AA/JL thru Japan options, for ease of travel, go with the AA/JL codeshare. You will not only get full qmiles and qpoints but you can also take advantage of the current bonus offer of 15K by flying thru KIX (in my opinion a much better airport to transit than NRT). Taking CX thru Cal (SFO or LAX) is a pain because the flight leaves so late and my preference is as direct a flight as possible. It doesn't matter as much on the way to BKK, but lemme tell ya, when it only takes 2 planes to get home, you will be glad you didnt have to stop in LA. An added plus is that you can upgrade your J ticket to 1st on the trip7 DFW/KIX. My upgrades on this route have always cleared at the time of request......I expect they will be discontinuing the route if traffic doesn't pick up so take advantage while you can!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, the DFW-NRT-BKK using the AA codeshare on JL will be easier, and as indicated by kunphuzn, who is not kunphuzd at all, you will get full EQM/EQP. Your NRT layover should be more than sufficient to make the terminal change (until AA and JL share, in the future,) and you get a JL B747-400 for the seven hour service.

CX does offer a greater variety of aircraft and flights from HKG, but you will have to pick CX up with one more stop / segment (LAX or SFO.)

For KIX I'll just ditto not kunphuzd.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
I never thought about upgrading to F on AA or KIX.

Thanks!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mach92
I never thought about upgrading to F on AA or KIX.

Thanks!
You're welcome.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:14 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Except that AA FC is no where near as good as CX J.

IFE: CX has the better IFE, on demand, and selection.

MEAL SERVICE: CX without question.

SCHEDULE: CX's overnight schedule and 14 hours, with plenty of time to eat, watch a movie and sleep 8 hours. On AA, you get into BKK at midnite, except the KIX-BKK is about 11PM. So AAnother wasted day. Work all day and take an evening AA flight to LAX/SFO for the CX late flights, either LAX or SFO, and you get into BKK at a reasonable hour, well rested and feed.

SEATS: IMHO the CX seats are better in J than AA's FC, especially if AA switches to a 777 with coffins (could happen.)

FA's: CX has the best and continuous service.

LOUNGE: The Wing at HKG is better than any NRT/KIX lounge.

Oh yeah, CX RBC is better than the JALWAYS J.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rbAA
SEATS: IMHO the CX seats are better in J than AA's FC, especially if AA switches to a 777 with coffins (could happen.)
I agree with every other point except for the seating on vs. CX-- I certainly don't find myself less comfortable in AA coffin-F than CX J. CX does, of course, win on every other count.

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 19, 2006 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Except that AA FC is no where near as good as CX J.

IFE: CX has the better IFE, on demand, and selection.

MEAL SERVICE: CX without question.

SCHEDULE: CX's overnight schedule and 14 hours, with plenty of time to eat, watch a movie and sleep 8 hours. On AA, you get into BKK at midnite, except the KIX-BKK is about 11PM. So AAnother wasted day. Take the CX late flights, either LAX or SFO, and you get into BKK at a reasonable hour, well rested and feed.

FA's: CX has the best and continuous service.

LOUNGE: The Wing at HKG is better than any NRT/KIX lounge.

Oh yeah, CX RBC is better than the JALWAYS J.

IFE - somewhat correct, but AA FC does have individual tapes in FC

Meal Service - somewhat correct again. CX J is not all that.

Schedule - wrong.

Seats - even with coffins they are better than CX J.

FAs: somewhat correct, but I had some excellent FAs in AA international F.

Lounges - totally correct, no contest there.

Still comes down to less hassles, less chances of something going wrong and a lot less of flying time.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:40 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by andrzej
IFE - somewhat correct, but AA FC does have individual tapes in FC
Schedule - wrong.
Still comes down to less hassles, less chances of something going wrong and a lot less of flying time.
AA's schedule out of DFW is 22:10 (KIX) or 22:40 (NRT) vs CX thru LAX of 24:35. Difference is AA screws up 2 days, leaving at about 11AM of day of departure and arriving 11PM+1. So you pay for a hotel in Bangkok that you get to about midnite. With CX, leave DFW at 9:05PM, after work and family time, for LAX and get in at 11AM+2 to BKK. Regular check in and actually get to use the hotel/lounge/spa/maybe even get something done. Or, connect to HKT.

Tapes??? Better than on demand IFE??? Really???

And hassles and something going wrong always seem to be a problem associated with AA than CX.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
AA's schedule out of DFW is 22:10 (KIX) or 22:40 (NRT) vs CX thru LAX of 24:35. Difference is AA screws up 2 days, leaving at about 11AM of day of departure and arriving 11PM+1. So you pay for a hotel in Bangkok that you get to about midnite. With CX, leave DFW at 9:05PM, after work and family time, for LAX and get in at 11AM+2 to BKK. Regular check in and actually get to use the hotel/lounge/spa/maybe even get something done. Or, connect to HKT.

Tapes??? Better than on demand IFE??? Really???

And hassles and something going wrong always seem to be a problem associated with AA than CX.

Sorry, I'll take 1 night on a plane and 1 night in a very comfortable BKK hotel bed anyday over 2 nights on planes. YMMV.

I did say you were somewhat correct about IFE, but in F on AA you're not limited to what's coming across the screen, you do have choices.

CX does make mistakes as well, but I was just referring to the fact that it's extra connection, not really saying that's it's either airline that would cause it, just the fact that it is an extra possibility of a screw up.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
Sorry, I'll take 1 night on a plane and 1 night in a very comfortable BKK hotel bed anyday over 2 nights on planes. YMMV.

I did say you were somewhat correct about IFE, but in F on AA you're not limited to what's coming across the screen, you do have choices.

CX does make mistakes as well, but I was just referring to the fact that it's extra connection, not really saying that's it's either airline that would cause it, just the fact that it is an extra possibility of a screw up.
And I would rather spend a good night (actually it's only 1,) and get to my destination in time to use a great BKK hotel. It depends on what you like, as my friend Mad4Miles says.

I've never had any of the tapes that didn't either lack interest or have a problem. These are a few generations behind the edge and the quality doesn't seem to be there. Besides try to watch more than one and it throws your time space settings off.

Last time I had a problem on CX they fixed it quickly and effectively. That was at least 3 years ago. I don't mind an extra connection and in fact frequently do that mid con or transcon to start on AA going west. So, it does depend on what you like.

Last edited by rbAA; Feb 20, 2006 at 8:42 am
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
I tend to agree with the posters that advocate just making one change of plane...and I don't find the changing of terminals to be a big issue.

I don't know the CX equipment HKG-BKK (which is not nearly as long as NRT-BKK) but do be aware that JL operates the 'old' C to BKK. At least on JL707/708 (which I suspect you'd be on).

I happen to like the old seats, although I wish they were a fraction longer.

Steve
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sllevin
I don't know the CX equipment HKG-BKK (which is not nearly as long as NRT-BKK) but do be aware that JL operates the 'old' C to BKK. At least on JL707/708 (which I suspect you'd be on).
When I took HKG-BKK last year, I was in F, so it was a full long-haul CX plane-- I do remember that not all flights on that route had F-class (and therefore good J-class.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.