7 minute walk from JFK T9 Gate 40 to outside

Old Feb 18, 06, 2:38 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
7 minute walk from JFK T9 Gate 40 to outside

So this morning I was at JFK to see if I go on standby for flight 59 to go home to SFO (after my misadventure from yesterday ). Of course, being #1 on the standby list meant nothing as there were a number of oversolds who had priority over me.

On my way back to get a cab, I looked at my watch. I left Gate 40 about 7:02am, and I got to the cab stand at around 7:09am.

This was without "walking" on the escalators or belts. Now, I'm no schlub - I've got a BMI of 22 and I've walked 6 miles in Manhattan easily. And still it took me 7 minutes to go from Gate 40 to the curb.

I pity the soul who has to do a transfer from T9 G32 to T8 G9 - including the security reclear, that's gotta take at least 20-25 minutes. And for the "average" American these days, probably 30 minutes.

I actually almost miss the old T9 - the gates were so much closer to the curb back then.
Old Feb 18, 06, 2:43 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
I agree. The new terminal is beautiful, but the walk is forever. I always take the AirTrain.
Old Feb 18, 06, 2:46 pm
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
I personally enjoy walking between or after flights. Gets your blood circulation going after hours of just sitting around.
Old Feb 18, 06, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM, SPG Gold
I don't understand what the big complaint about walking in JFK is. Connections in MIA can include much longer walks, more fragrant aromas, lack of light and masses of people.
Old Feb 18, 06, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Only 7 minutes? It feels like a half hour. That's the one, serious, design flaw in that whole place IMO. Even if you do walk on the peoplemovers, it takes forever. That, and T9 has to have the slowest moving escalators anywhere on the planet. And no, the elevators aren't any faster - I've tried it. Love the wide open spaces and new car smell, but I'd trade it all for the old walking distance.
Old Feb 19, 06, 3:35 am
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pismocrab
Only 7 minutes? It feels like a half hour. That's the one, serious, design flaw in that whole place IMO. Even if you do walk on the peoplemovers, it takes forever. That, and T9 has to have the slowest moving escalators anywhere on the planet. And no, the elevators aren't any faster - I've tried it. Love the wide open spaces and new car smell, but I'd trade it all for the old walking distance.
Well I still walk at a NY pace

I have fixed feelings about the decore of the new terminal. It's very... sparse and very... souless. Like it tries to be HKG, but not.
Old Feb 19, 06, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
I agree. The new terminal is beautiful, but the walk is forever. I always take the AirTrain.
As many times as I've been through JFK, I thought there was just the one stop for both AA terminals. How are you taking the train between AA terminals? Is that even possible?
Old Feb 19, 06, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Ok, you can take the airtrain, AFTER the 7 minute walk. The idea is to connect the 2 terminals in the future, whose future has yet tbd. The new car smell sure is nice, as is the vast spaciousness. AA was under pressure to open the new 9, so there is much more to be filled in. As you all can see, there is quite a bit of property to be filled, hopefully with more concessions, and a walkway connecting to 8. I was led to believe we may have run out of money to finish {too many bonuses to the bigwigs}, so the projection date has been pushed back again and again. I remember being promised a Dunkin Doghnuts in the new terminal, so I am as dissapointed as you all are! But, I will agree, as I have timed it, 7 mins to the curb is accurate. {and I wear heels}
Old Feb 19, 06, 10:23 am

Programs: AA gold MM, HH gold, SPG gold,
Poor-to-no cell phone reception in the building--from gate area all the way through baggage claim, until nearly at the exit. Makes it difficult, especially as baggage claim seems to take much longer than before, and it was always slow.
Old Feb 19, 06, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
We were definitely spoiled before the new T9... I complained about this walk non-stop until I connected again at ORD, LHR, HKG, etc. True, there are other airports that handle the long expanses of nothingness better than T9, but overall, it's not that much different than arriving at a remote gate in another airport and having to walk the "whole way" out.
I'm going to keep complaining though. It's my duty as a NYer, dammit.
Old Feb 20, 06, 11:27 am

Being a NY and London-er, I have to say the walk at LHR is about as bad as it gets (esp. on AA but not much better on BA or really most any airline). I would say it is a solid 10+ minutes and I walk at 5MPH.

The new JFK T9 isn't much better but at least it is clean and not the refugee nation of the T8. Why AA's International Flagship flights still fly out of there I have no idea. Although the strange dim lighting in the that terminal and esp. in the Admirals Club makes me want a whiskey and some conversation in hushed tones about a sandinista revolution. It feels a bit like you are in a time warp in there, no?
Old Feb 20, 06, 11:38 am
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by belleNY
Makes it difficult, especially as baggage claim seems to take much longer than before, and it was always slow.
I haven't had to pick up baggage at the new T9 yet, but if this is true, it's rather ironic - I've heard that at some airports, they deliberately make the walk a bit longer so that it provides more time for the baggage handlers to deliver your bags.

Which would make sense - at the old T9, the walk from the gate to baggage claim was ridiculously short for a major airport, and then you'd unrealistically wait a "long" time for the baggage to show up. (Perception is rather buggy.) At the new T9, i'd expect the baggage to arrive just a little after you do.
Old Feb 20, 06, 11:48 am
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
The new JFK T9 isn't much better but at least it is clean and not the refugee nation of the T8. Why AA's International Flagship flights still fly out of there I have no idea. Although the strange dim lighting in the that terminal and esp. in the Admirals Club makes me want a whiskey and some conversation in hushed tones about a sandinista revolution. It feels a bit like you are in a time warp in there, no?
I especially love the men's bathroom near Gate 6 at T8. I think it would be great for the set of Saw 3 if they ever film it.
Old Feb 20, 06, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Why AA's International Flagship flights still fly out of there I have no idea.
There are no immigration facilities in Terminal 9, so all of AA's international arrivals have to come into Terminal 8. Since most of those a/c turn around to another international destination, it doesn't make a lot of sense to move the a/c to Terminal 9. Frankly, with all the ground handling problems experienced at JFK last year, the last thing they need to be doing is moving a/c for no reason.

Before the new Terminal 9 opened, at least one international flight a night left from Terminal 9 (usually the EZE or late CDG flight). Does anyone know if that still happens?
Old Feb 20, 06, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Why AA's International Flagship flights still fly out of there I have no idea.
T-8 has the customs facilities, so the inbound international flights have to use an arrival gate in T-8. I guess it's too much trouble to haul the metal over to T-9 to for departures. Occasionally you will get a 763 flight to Europe leaving from T-9- probably due to a domestic arrival from SFO or SJU. A nice treat when it happens- you can use the airside and brand new AC in T-9.

Search this Thread