Group 4, 5 and 6 no roll-a-boards, you must gate check

Old Mar 2, 2006, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Without question overhead bin space is shared space. I think underseat storage belongs to the people whose footsies you're infringing upon. It doesn't have to be in writing: it just makes sense!
FAs always say "...overhead, or under the seat in front of you (emphasis added). I've never actually heard them say "under the seat of some total stranger, so you will have more legroom".
Old Mar 2, 2006, 6:25 am

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver
If I am traveling alone, and have no status, is it safe to say that having a window seat in the back of the plane would keep me out of groups 4, 5 and 6? I googled a brief description of AA's boarding system, but it was only in general terms and I don't know whether it was accurate.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: AA - GLD; MR - GLD;
Originally Posted by scruffy
If I am traveling alone, and have no status, is it safe to say that having a window seat in the back of the plane would keep me out of groups 4, 5 and 6? I googled a brief description of AA's boarding system, but it was only in general terms and I don't know whether it was accurate.

From my experience Yes... rows 24 (MD80) and back are safe bets if u want Over head space.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Originally Posted by techgirl
Well, I have seen it all now. Seriously.

Today there was an obvious "gate lice" type boarding on a short one hour mainline flight who was beyond the normal boarding hover. He was actually standing up on TOP of the gate reader a good ten minutes prior to flight and nervously stealing an occasional backwards glance at all the other F and premium pax who were hovering in the vicinity.

I chalked it up to bulkhead seating - or perhaps a bad rollaboard experience recently. I never thought it would be what it was.

Turns out this creep was MY seatmate and had boarded first so he could stow his briefcase under the seat in front of ME.

When I kindly asked him to move his bag to make room for mine, he very bluntly stated "all space for bags is first come-first serve".

I not so kindly said "please move your bag so that I don't have to".

He reluctantly (moaning about how the wheels of this normal sized briefcase were going to be in the way of the seat anchors) moved his bag - and turned it so that it was horizontally longer and took 2/3rds of the seat.

"I'm sorry", I said, "but I need you to move that the other direction so my bag will also fit."

He refused stating it would interfere with his available legroom. I told him politely that he could turn it or I would be glad to call the flight attendant over to watch ME turn it for him.

He turned it and spent the rest of the flight fighting me for the armrest, space on the console for his two beverages and bag of pretzels, and shooting me dirty looks.

Unfreakinbelievable that some people are actually let out of the asylum to fly on airplanes.
Sorry about your encounter with this 'hole. What kind of aircraft and where were you sitting?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Interesting twist on this yesterday.

PHX-DFW, 757, flight info display showing standby list with 39 (!) names.

As F was beginning to board, gate agent announced that she would be calling standbys, and you needed to bring your carry-ons with you to the podium to get your boarding pass. Standbys would not be allowed any carry ons.

Still not sure I like this prophylactic policy while the bins haven't yet been filled, but fairer than doing it by group, I think. On this flight, the bins did fill.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Often times, you will find this more than the other. Many times the people on Standby are people from later flights trying to get on an earlier flight. Doesn't matter if you get to board in Group 1 or Group 5, if you are on standby, you should check your carry-on to allow those people who were actually booked on this flight the chance to get bin space first. (only if the flight is oversold....if the flight is NOT oversold and everyone can be accomodated, then everyone should be allowed to take their bags on board)

If people would stay on their original flights, then we wouldn't have so many standby's trying to get on earlier flights and we wouldn't have all these issues....(until there are weather delays..then everyone tries for whatever they can get)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.