Any disAAdvantage in booking IB tix through aa.com?

Old Feb 18, 06, 11:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Any disAAdvantage in booking IB tix through aa.com?

The MAD-LIS RT fare prices out about $80 less on aa.com than on IB's website. Just wondering if there's any downside to doing this through AA (besides having to call in for seat assignments).

[Edited to add:] This is not a codeshare.

[Edited to add:] Slightly OT, but does anyone know if IB sells upgrades at the gate on intra-Europe flights?

Last edited by vasantn; Feb 18, 06 at 12:08 pm
Old Feb 18, 06, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
The MAD-LIS RT fare prices out about $80 less on aa.com than on IB's website. Just wondering if there's any downside to doing this through AA (besides having to call in for seat assignments).

[Edited to add:] This is not a codeshare.

[Edited to add:] Slightly OT, but does anyone know if IB sells upgrades at the gate on intra-Europe flights?
I lived in Spain and used to always book IB tickets on AA.com - they are almost always cheaper there. There is no downside. It's still an electronic ticket. You avoid Iberia's ticketing charges (most European airlines charge fees to European customers even if you buy e-tickets on their websites) and if your billing address is in the US, you pay less tax. Go for it!

As for upgrading, IB intra-European flights aren't really worth it - the seats are the same in both classes. The MAD-LIS route is only around 50 minutes (IB inflates flight times by around 20 minutes on this route), so you wouldn't get to experience much of the IB business class product anyway - you just wouldn't pay for a drink.

I took my parents on the same route last year (I was studying in Madrid and then showed them where I used to work in Lisbon). Have a great trip!
Old Feb 18, 06, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
No major disadvantages (to my knowledge). I always use AA.com to purchase IB/BA tickets because it's almost always cheaper for some reason. Not sure if AA gets any money out of it, though I hope it helps to steer a little extra business their way.

It's possible that you may not be able to use IB's check-in kiosks. I'm not sure on that point. Actually, I don't even know if AA.com can issue e-tickets on IB. I purchased a trip in early 2004 that was on paper tickets. I had a trip in mid-2005 that was on BA metal with IB code (same price, higher minimum miles per segment) that was issued as an e-ticket. If this is an issue for you, may want to check with AA first.
Old Feb 18, 06, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by acf573
No major disadvantages (to my knowledge). I always use AA.com to purchase IB/BA tickets because it's almost always cheaper for some reason. Not sure if AA gets any money out of it, though I hope it helps to steer a little extra business their way.

It's possible that you may not be able to use IB's check-in kiosks. I'm not sure on that point. Actually, I don't even know if AA.com can issue e-tickets on IB. I purchased a trip in early 2004 that was on paper tickets. I had a trip in mid-2005 that was on BA metal with IB code (same price, higher minimum miles per segment) that was issued as an e-ticket. If this is an issue for you, may want to check with AA first.
AA.com does issue only electronic tickets on all IB flights (except to Havana).

You CAN use the kiosks if you buy on AA.com
Old Feb 18, 06, 1:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Great, thanks for the helpful responses!
Old Feb 18, 06, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by DCAstudent
AA.com does issue only electronic tickets on all IB flights (except to Havana).

You CAN use the kiosks if you buy on AA.com
This is correct. In 2002, AA did have to issue paper tickets to me, but in 2005, I received an e-ticket.

I recommend popping into the Ibera club if you are Emerald or Sapphire. I did receive an intra-European upgrade on a flight where I did this (but I did not ask for the upgrade...I presume coach was very full).
Old Feb 18, 06, 2:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Has anyone seen the Terminal 4 setup yet, and is the IB lounge airside or landside?
Old Feb 18, 06, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Some people posted recently in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...&highlight=mad
Old Feb 18, 06, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA member since 1990
Depends on the Route...

Originally Posted by vasantn
I use both AA and IB. Generally speaking, there are very low fares available on the IB website for various domestic and EU sectors, but they are only for sale within Spain/Portugal/Andorra. These low fares are not available on aa.com.

It also depends on what currency your form of payment is so that one does not incur exchange rate differentials and credit card fees (bank charges). USD for US-based transactions and euros for European-based transactions works out the best.
Old Feb 18, 06, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I don't know if this is an issue with AA.com-purchased tickets for IB flights or not, but sometimes attempts to change certain things with the operating carrier over the phone results in being told to contact the ticket-issuing airline for the changes. That said, so far I've never had problems with AA.com purchased tickets except where paper tickets were involved.
Old Feb 19, 06, 2:05 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Top Tier, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I flew IB MAD-LHR on a B fare and asked about upgrading- they looked at me like I was crazy. I ended up with a row of three seats to myself in the back, and stretched out for a nice nap, in spite of the dispproving looks from the FAs. I also enjoyed some fruit/pastries in the lounge and skipped the Buy on Board (extortionary prices).
Old Feb 19, 06, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I don't know if this is an issue with AA.com-purchased tickets for IB flights or not, but sometimes attempts to change certain things with the operating carrier over the phone results in being told to contact the ticket-issuing airline for the changes. That said, so far I've never had problems with AA.com purchased tickets except where paper tickets were involved.
If, from within Spain, you call IB and press the button for English (I don't remember what number it is), you will get connected to one of only four (at least there were only 4 last year) agents who man the English line. They are extremely nice and will go out of their way to help - much more so than the average IB agent. If something is complicated they will take your number and call you back when the problem is solved. They found my lost luggage within an hour after it took IB baggage service 3 days of failure, changed a ticket during a strike by the Barajas Airport employees, and even helped me change a Varig domestic ticket (no idea how!).

Enjoy Spain!

Search this Thread