Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Get 10,000 Miles for Opening a Citibank Checking Account (Feb '06)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life

Not sure if this has been posted, tried to search but it takes a long time and still not showing results. (Am I the only one with search function problems?)

Got this email:
"Open a Citibank Regular Checking online and get 10,000 bonus miles. Must fund the account with $2500 and link your Citi Aadvantage credit card within 30 days. Code is: CEFG."

I was thinking of opening one to get $200 bonus, but I think I'd rather get more AA miles.

(A Citibank ATM card would've saved me some fees in Tokyo. BoA charged me closed to $20 for two withdrawals.)
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Was this a targeted offer?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

There's a code, so it shouldn't be targeted?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:00 am

I probably shouldn't post this time of night because my reading comprehension decreases after midnight but with all due respect... huh? Are you saying targeted offers don't have codes?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:11 am
Original Poster

I had a question mark...I wasn't sure!

Maybe targeted to people who already have a Citibank Aadvantage credit card.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:34 am

Comprendo. Gracias.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)
Linky, anyone?
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:28 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
I had a question mark...I wasn't sure!

Maybe targeted to people who already have a Citibank Aadvantage credit card.
I got the email, and I have the card already if it means anything.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I got the email, and I have the card already if it means anything.
Some more data points...

In our extended household (accounts I have visibiliy to), we have 6 AAdvantage users.
2 minors
4 adults
- 2 have Citi AA card
- 2 do not

We received 2 emails for the promo, both to the adults that have Citi AA cards.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
Linky, anyone?
Here's the link mine went to when I clicked on "Apply now" in the e-mail:

https://web-ao.da-us.citibank.com/cg...&package=ez%5F

That URL doesn't look customized to me.

The e-mail also said you can call 800 374-9500 and mention the same offer code as in the OP, CEFG. Makes me fairly certain it's not targeted.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Efrem
Here's the link mine went to when I clicked on "Apply now" in the e-mail:

https://web-ao.da-us.citibank.com/cg...&package=ez%5F

That URL doesn't look customized to me.

The e-mail also said you can call 800 374-9500 and mention the same offer code as in the OP, CEFG. Makes me fairly certain it's not targeted.
Did somebody apply through this link? And did they ask for the AA-number?

Last edited by USAFAN; Feb 18, 2006 at 8:29 am
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:24 am

The offer is for existing cardholders. Also, you must keep $1,500 in the account to avoid the monthly fee (or 2 bill payments a month). $2,500 minmum to open the account:

OFFER DETAILS

This offer is not available at Citibank Financial Centers. This offer is only available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who received this email.

To receive this offer, you must:

Open and fund a Citibank Regular Checking account in the Citibank® EZ Checking pricing package with a minimum initial deposit of $2500 by 3/31/06.
Then within 30 days of funding the account, you must link your existing Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card to your new checking account. You can link your Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card online at citibankonline.com, at a Citibank ATM, Citibank Financial Center, or by calling CitiPhone Banking®. The 10,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles will be credited to your American Airlines AAdvantage® program account within 120 days of the end of the statement period in which you met the above requirements.

The Checking account must be in good standing at the time the credit is posted to your account. Taxes, if any, are the responsibility of the customer. Offer only available for first-time Citibank deposit (checking or savings product) account customers, and will be deposited to the AAdvantage® program account only once to any individual. Persons who currently have or at any time have had a Citibank deposit account are not eligible. Offer only available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers. Non-U.S. residents and persons under 18 years of age are not eligible.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by JoeSixpack
....This offer is only available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who received this email....
That looks like a targeted offer!
However, I called 800 374-9500 and the lady agent told me, that I would get the 10,000 AA Miles as long as I have the CEFG code.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, ..., ZZ
From the email...:

OFFER DETAILS

This offer is not available at Citibank Financial Centers. This offer is only available to Citi® / AAdvantage® credit cardmembers who received this email.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by USAFAN
That looks like a targeted offer!
However, I called 800 374-9500 and the lady agent told me, that I would get the 10,000 AA Miles as long as I have the CEFG code.

Same here. Just signed up w/o getting any email. One thing to keep in mind is that the account has to be open for 120 days or you could loose your miles.

The real cost is negative carry here. $2.5k would earn you $40 @ 4.80%(HSBC savings assuming rate good for 120 days) for the 120 days required your cash to be on-hold... therefore 10k AA miles for $40 seems like a money-good trade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.