Question about transiting through NRT to HKG...

 
Old Feb 17, 06, 4:27 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Posts: 1,371
Question about transiting through NRT to HKG...

I am doing a DFW-HKG via NRT on Monday. DFW-NRT is AA and NRT-HKG is CX. When transiting at NRT what procedures will I go through? I assume I will not have to go through customs and immigration. Will I go straight through to the terminal? Will there be more security to go through once at NRT? I did a search on this and couldn't find my answers.
chsb is offline  
Old Feb 17, 06, 4:31 pm
  #2  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,699
Fortunately, they currently fly from/ to the same terminal, same area. Iirc, when you "deplane" you will see signs for connecting flights. But my brain cells are muddled enough right now that's all I seem to recall - my next transit (SJC-NRT-HKG-DPS) isn't for a couple of months yet, so...

But hang in here; others who have done this will be much more helpful and specific. (In the long run, there will be changes of terminals, so what works today won't work in the long run...)

Originally Posted by chsb
I am doing a DFW-HKG via NRT on Monday. DFW-NRT is AA and NRT-HKG is CX. When transiting at NRT what procedures will I go through? I assume I will not have to go through customs and immigration. Will I go straight through to the terminal? Will there be more security to go through once at NRT? I did a search on this and couldn't find my answers.
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 17, 06, 5:15 pm
  #3  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Posts: 19,391
I did this once in the reverse direction (HKG-NRT-DFW) and CX arrived at the gate adjacent to the AA flight. There was an AA agent on the jetway with a sign for me and took me over to the other gate (it was a close connection and they had already boarded). Without the agent I suspect it is a rather long walk to the main terminal, and then back to the gate area which is in a satellite concourse. You won't have to go through japanese immigration and customs if you are transiting.
number_6 is offline  
Old Feb 17, 06, 6:56 pm
  #4  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,699
Exactly! And the NRT immigration queue can be horrendous at times.

Originally Posted by number_6
...You won't have to go through japanese immigration and customs if you are transiting.
JDiver is offline  
Old Feb 17, 06, 8:32 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,686
Just follow the signs when you get off for 'connecting flights.' You'll go through security (everybody does when transiting NRT), and that will dump you back out into Terminal 1. From there, just check the monitors for the gate number.

If you have time and like hot noodle soup, head towards gate 28, and there's a noodle shop. I think #19 is the best.

Steve
sllevin is offline  
Old Feb 18, 06, 1:16 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Posts: 1,371
Originally Posted by sllevin
Just follow the signs when you get off for 'connecting flights.' You'll go through security (everybody does when transiting NRT), and that will dump you back out into Terminal 1. From there, just check the monitors for the gate number.

If you have time and like hot noodle soup, head towards gate 28, and there's a noodle shop. I think #19 is the best.

Steve
Thanks for the advice. I have about two hours from the time I arrive until my CX flight to HKG.
chsb is offline  
Old Feb 18, 06, 2:26 pm
  #7  
dtc
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SJC, SFO
Programs: Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 857
I did this in 12/2004. Basically after you get off the plane in NRT, you will follow some signs. Often times, the signs are confusing (I remember one hand printed sign that pointed to a closed area) - and the people you meet right after getting off the plane don't always seem to have a great command of English. I just followed other people who looked like they knew what they were doing, and passed through another metal detector/xray/sars-check security post.

Once you do find your way to the CX/AA area (looks like this) it should be smooth sailing - and the English proficiency goes up dramatically.
dtc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread