Search

Stranded in BOS until sunday? Need to go to SFO

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:01 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Stranded in BOS until sunday? Need to go to SFO

My eagle flight from BWI-BOS was about an hour late into BOS today, so I missed Flt 95 from BOS-SFO.

Now, there are no flights westward it seems until Sunday. On any airlines!

I'm on Standby for a flight to DFW, but I'm 22nd in line and they're bumping people already. Uh oh.

Any ideas on what I can do to get home (SJC actually)? I was supposed to have a Valentine's Day dinner on Sat.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ouch! Weather happens. How about AMTRAK south connecting with AA west? (Mind you, I have not even looked at the weather in other locations down the eastern seaboard.)

DO check DFW before doing anything, because it seems DFW might be in for some icing etc. as well.

DO your research and decide quickly, IMO, as you may find lots of competition for a place to stay, unless BOS is home to good friends.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ouch! Weather happens. How about AMTRAK south connecting with AA west? (Mind you, I have not even looked at the weather in other locations down the eastern seaboard.
The weather is fine here now. It's the "President's Day School vacation" and absolutely everybody must leave town. Today and Tommorrow.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:17 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Ouch! Weather happens. How about AMTRAK south connecting with AA west? (Mind you, I have not even looked at the weather in other locations down the eastern seaboard.)
DO your research and decide quickly, IMO, as you may find lots of competition for a place to stay, unless BOS is home to good friends.
No, I don't know anyone in BOS.

It's not clear to me what my options are - should I sign up for the sunday flight and sit here all day today and tomorrow (sat) to wait on standby?

In classic Murphy's law, i can't even call anyone because my cellphone's simcard died. Argh!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:18 pm

The OP > "Now, there are no flights westward it seems until Sunday. On any airlines!" made me think there were no flights, as in all were cancelled.

Thanks for the clarification - and glad to hear you may be escaping the hassles. Glad I am staying put this weekend.

Originally Posted by AAntares
The weather is fine here now. It's the "President's Day School vacation" and absolutely everybody must leave town. Today and Tommorrow.

I'm leaving on Sunday, but I'm going the other way.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Whoa, is this still the residual affects of "Storm 2006?" I thought connecting pax had a higher priority than others, and you're still 22nd? Ouch indeed.

How about flying to JFK then JFK-NRT-SJC? (Actually, it might be considered reasonable, under the circumstances)

Or, BOS-YYZ-LAX-SFO/SJC?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:22 pm

Ouch! I might sign up for Sunday and still keep trying for standby... That's not a wonderful idea, but it's about all I can think of, in light of what AAntares posted.

Originally Posted by dtc

It's not clear to me what my options are - should I sign up for the sunday flight and sit here all day today and tomorrow (sat) to wait on standby?

In classic Murphy's law, i can't even call anyone because my cellphone's simcard died. Argh!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:23 pm
dba

Programs: TWA(sigh), JetBlue, Delta
Do you have to fly AA? There are flights tomorrow on other airlines (e.g. United).
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I think Boston is worse during these vacation times than it is for storms. I was in Boston last weekend (for an extra day, of course), and that didn't seem so bad. Ended up in SFO instead of SJC...but a transportation voucher took care of that.
You could decide to spend the weekend in Boston (although this time of year all of the interesting stuff is going on in Ft. Myers).
Actually, I think it would be a great time to see Boston...without all the people. The history and culture of Boston certainly hasn't moved to Florida for the weekend. To me, that's the charm of the lovely city.

To the OP, I'm not sure that there are many options. Of course, you could talk to AA about a hotel voucher...or a discount rate, at least. Inasmuch as it doesn't seem to be weather, they may be responsible for the delay (do you know the reason?). It can't hurt to ask.

Cheers.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:24 pm
dtc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Whoa, is this still the residual affects of "Storm 2006?" I thought connecting pax had a higher priority than others, and you're still 22nd? Ouch indeed.

How about flying to JFK then JFK-NRT-SJC? (Actually, it might be considered reasonable, under the circumstances)

Or, BOS-YYZ-LAX-SFO/SJC?
I wish I could go to NRT! I'm in grave risk for not requaling for PLAT this year.

The reason I missed the connection was that due to high winds in BOS, my Eagle flight was put on a long ground delay in BWI.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by dtc

Certainly, sitting the airport until your number comes up is one option.

You can try going south (or west) via ground transportation (e.g. to LGA, ALB, PVD, etc) and then catch another flight (probably to ORD)

You could decide to spend the weekend in Boston (although this time of year all of the interesting stuff is going on in Ft. Myers).
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:26 pm

Those Eagles seem to fly more like sparrows with high winds. But it sounds like AA might be approachable on some vouchers etc. to help ease your wait - though you may find some agents more harried and less receptive than others, so check 'em out before approaching...

Originally Posted by dtc
I wish I could go to NRT! I'm in grave risk for not requaling for PLAT this year.

The reason I missed the connection was that due to high winds in BOS, my Eagle flight was put on a long ground delay in BWI.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:31 pm

Those Eagles seem to fly more like sparrows with high winds. But it sounds like AA might be approachable on some vouchers etc. to help ease your wait - though you may find some agents more harried and less receptive than others, so check 'em out before approaching...
One other interesting thing about BOS is that we only have one runway that is usable when the winds are from the North. (We just had a very large cold front go through about noon today).

They've been planning to put in another one, but the NIMBY folks have managed to delay this for years and years.

The ATCSCC Flight Delay site says that the average delay (right now) is 1 hour 54 minutes.

Legalistically, this is a "Weather delay" (but certainly not something that could not have been foreseen).
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:33 pm

have similar woes for my sister and brother-in-law who are stranded at DCA en route to MIA due to a delayed arrival in DCA. What happens to the luggage that was checked through to MIA? What comp will AA provide? hotel, food?
Old Feb 17, 2006, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Trying to think outside the box here....

But for today, the only available flights are on UA, BOS-PHL in F, PHL-SFO in Y. Do you think AA will endorse you over?

Tomorrow, there are flights available on DL (BOS-SLC-SJC), NW (BOS-MSP-SFO), US/HP (BOS-LAS-SFO/OAK), UA (BOS-IAD-SJC), and even AA (BOS-JFK-SFO).

And to be thorough... B6 is available tomorrow, and WN is sold out through the weekend

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.