Need help with trip...

Old Feb 17, 06, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Need help with trip...

Howdy all!

I am trying to put together a trip for a Platinum who also happens to be my father. I don't have the dates for this trip down yet, but I do know it will be in mid to late spring of this year. What he needs to do is get from CLL-PEK, then PEK-SBN, and then back SBN-CLL. Here's the problem. He really doesn't want to fly more than 3 legs for any city pairing but he would like to earn as many miles as possible. Are you guys up for this little challenge?

Thanks,
David
Old Feb 17, 06, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Count me out, nope, I'm not. Thanks for asking.

How does someone "happen" to be your father? My father was and is definitely from day one my father.

Might want to look at a RTW though.
Old Feb 17, 06, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
This the AA forum or the Sudoku forum?
Old Feb 17, 06, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
With three (connections) you get egg roll.
Old Feb 17, 06, 11:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
I'd be concerned if my father had more than three legs as well if only in the interest of not scaring the grandchildren.
Old Feb 18, 06, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flailey
I'd be concerned if my father had more than three legs as well if only in the interest of not scaring the grandchildren.
"TWEET!! You, Three Legs, out of the gene pool!"
Old Feb 18, 06, 5:44 am
tt7

Nice to read some of the responses above and start the morning with a chuckle .... I hope the OP has a sense of humor.

I must admit, I wasn't familiar with 2 of the 3 places your father wants to go (CLL and SBN), so I had to look them up. He wants to go from College Station, Texas to South Bend, Indiana .... via Beijing?

Is he flying business (or first) or coach? If he's trying to do this on AA/OW, then it makes a difference to which airlines to use or avoid (e.g., no BA or CX if it's a discount coach ticket, if you want miles).

Problem 1 - AFAIK, AA only flys to DFW from College Station, so I guess that pretty much sets the first leg.

Problem 2 - AA doesn't fly to South Bend, so I guess he'd have to go to ORD.

CLL-DFW-LAX-PEK
LAX-PEK is an AA codeshare on China Eastern Airlines. Far, far better to take CX to Hong Kong and on to PEK but you can't do that on 3 legs ....

No OW airline files Beijing-Shanghai, so to get back, it's either the China Eastern flight to LA or back to Hong Kong.

As someone else said, he could do a RTW ticket but the trip is really point-to-point.
Old Feb 18, 06, 8:53 am

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
why?

i have reand and read many posts in a lot of these forums, and while most people can be very helpful, a lot of the posters are downright mean, there is no reason to insult this man like he was insulted above. i have left a few posts, and i thought were intelligent questions, that i did not know the answer, and yes no-one would answer me.... but, someone will wonder or complain why on a .50cent flight that they cannot upgrade or that they will not recieve miles, how trivial.... i would like to say, that as of now, i am very disapponited with the posters of this flyertalk.com
thank you.
Old Feb 18, 06, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Here's why.

Originally Posted by kctigers
i have reand and read many posts in a lot of these forums, and while most people can be very helpful, a lot of the posters are downright mean, there is no reason to insult this man like he was insulted above. i have left a few posts, and i thought were intelligent questions, that i did not know the answer, and yes no-one would answer me.... but, someone will wonder or complain why on a .50cent flight that they cannot upgrade or that they will not recieve miles, how trivial.... i would like to say, that as of now, i am very disapponited with the posters of this flyertalk.com
thank you.
A. This question was posted in the wrong forum. This is a question about routings to maximize miles, normally posted in the Mileage Run forum. That, coupled with a post counter of 2, indicates to many people that the OP hasn't put in any effort to find his way around Flyertalk or help other Flyertalkers. We get a lot of new Flyertalkers who go about it the right way, reading and absorbing information, then asking questions to fill in the gaps in their knowledge. Unfortunately, we also get a lot who discover this board and immediately start firing questions. We are very lucky to have a handful of extremely knowledgable posters here, who are generous enough with their time to share their wealth of knowledge with us. They can get overloaded by the tens of thousands of "quick question from a newbie" types.

B. There is nothing in his post to indicate the research he has already done, and the results of that research. While it is much easier and faster to just fire up a question, answering such questions isn't really what most of us perceive the purpose of Flyertalk to be. Did the OP read the sticky at the top of the Mileage Run forum "How to construct a Mileage Run?" If he did, did he follow those instructions? What did he learn? What problems did he have? If not, why not? Too lazy, wants someone else to do his work for him? If you want a fish, go somewhere else. If you want to learn to fish, you're in the right place.

C. This has to be one of the more bizarre questions ever asked on Flyertalk. The routing itself is bizarre enough, but then the poster wants to maximize mileage on it, but doesn't want to do the one thing that is really necessary in order to maximize mileage, add segments. It's almost like saying "I want to fly LAX-JFK non-stop, but I want a routing to maximize miles". Leads people to believe he isn't serious. The OP's wording ("Are you guys up for this little challenge?") contributes to that perception.

I certainly can't speak for everyone on Flyertalk, so this is just my opinion, and I surely have missed some reasons, but this is a start at least.

To both you and the OP, welcome to Flyertalk. This is a tremendous resource to learn about flying and especially frequent flyer programs.

Last edited by gemac; Feb 18, 06 at 12:43 pm

Search this Thread