Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible DFW Ice Storm This Weekend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2006, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Possible DFW Ice Storm This Weekend

Something to keep in mind if you're traveling through DFW this weekend....

The entire DFW area is under a Winter Storm Watch from Friday afternoon until Sunday morning. We're expecting ice to start late Friday night. Saturday and Saturday night are expected to be much worse because temps won't get higher than 34 or so the entire weekend. Our lows are expected to be 26-29 this weekend, so ice is definitely a concern.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:02 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I know - I've got a flight Saturday morning and returning Sunday a.m. - fun.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
It's more than possible!

Rain expected to start by 6 pm local time with conditions getting worse overnight and into Sat. It has been so warm (86 on Thursday) that this temp change is a real shock. Conditions could continue to be miserable through Sunday with no above freezing temps until Monday.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:47 am

Unhappy Yipee!!!

Yay! Let me tell you this will be a fun weekend spent on top of the deicer trying not to fall off...

-David
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
The notice is here to change Saturday flights to Sunday for certain Dallas area airports.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:07 am

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by j3823x
The notice is here to change Saturday flights to Sunday for certain Dallas area airports.
I guess if you're flying out of DAL, you're out of luck
Old Feb 18, 2006, 6:40 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
My observation over the last decade is that Dallas gets about 1 in 4 of the forecasted "winter storms". It's ok to be prepared, but don't expect the worst.
Remember: TV Ratings!
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:38 am

Programs: AA PLT
I changed my original 2/18 PSP-DFW flight for a PSP-DFW yesterday, in anticipation of the possible inclement weather at DFW.

Tried calling to see if they would credit the $100 change fee I made at the airport, but they said that since I made the change 4 hours before they instituted the inclement weather policy, there was nothing they could do.

I explained to them that the last PSP-DFW flight left at noon yesterday, which was before they instituted the policy.

I told AA I would be happy with one upgrade sticker, if a flat-out refund is out of the question. Denied.

The $100 to guarantee I would get home to my family and not stuck was more than worth it--but the sheer unwillingness of AA to "understand" was unsatisfying. Oh well.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by rlr49
I changed my original 2/18 PSP-DFW flight for a PSP-DFW yesterday, in anticipation of the possible inclement weather at DFW.

Tried calling to see if they would credit the $100 change fee I made at the airport, but they said that since I made the change 4 hours before they instituted the inclement weather policy, there was nothing they could do.

I explained to them that the last PSP-DFW flight left at noon yesterday, which was before they instituted the policy.

I told AA I would be happy with one upgrade sticker, if a flat-out refund is out of the question. Denied.

The $100 to guarantee I would get home to my family and not stuck was more than worth it--but the sheer unwillingness of AA to "understand" was unsatisfying. Oh well.
So, penalized for your prescience!!
If your original flight were scheduled for a time that ended up falling w/in AA's "inclement weather" period, and your change request was due to weather concerns, I think it would be a nice gesture by AA to respond to a polite letter with a refund, credit or voucher of the $100.
Not sure if I'd personally write a letter in this case as I try to save my correspondences for what I consider bigger issues. This is something you'd have to assess.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:19 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by rlr49

I've been in similar situations before: changed my flight due to weather concerns, but before AA made their storm announcement. They always charged the change fee, but then when I wrote to Customer Relations they always refunded the fee.

The words I use to start such a letter are usually: "HELP! AA charged me $100 for being one small step ahead!"
Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:19 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Currently at DAL. 28 degrees. No precipatation. As soon as my flight leaves (in about 40 minutes) I'll no longer care.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:12 pm
Used to be mmsteidl

Programs: AA PLAT for life, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat Ambassador
Actuallz in DFW, weather seems to be fine for flying thus far, but they have to change our equipment to FRA. Hope there will be no further surprise.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm not positive, but when I came in around noon today it appeared that planes were being deiced. There was minimal sleet/drizzle... but a 1-hour taxi/wait for our EMPTY gate.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 4:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So, that's your kind of fun, eh? Stay warm and dry, and good luck.

Originally Posted by fourstripe
Yay! Let me tell you this will be a fun weekend spent on top of the deicer trying not to fall off...

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.