Refund On Tickets

Old Feb 16, 06, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Refund On Tickets

Hi,
My now ex-boyfriend and I had tickets for two trips this summer and now I am stuck with non-refundable tickets to Hawaii and PVR. Anyone have any advice on how I could recoup some of the cost or change over the tickets to someone else so the trips aren't a total loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 06, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like you've got a few weeks to find a new boyfriend with the same name as your old boyfriend.

Seriously, nonrefundable tix may generally be used only by the named passenger. While you can change your tix (less change fees), his tix are gonna be worthless.
Old Feb 16, 06, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Hyatt - Diamond, Hilton - Gold, Nobody to lots of companies!
Ask him for the $$$ for his ticket.
Old Feb 16, 06, 1:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
First, go to the AA refunds site and enter the information you have to see what the detailed fare rules are and what refundability, change fees, etc. you might be facing.

Once you have this information, you may want to ask your ex to pay for his ticket(s), take his tickets and pay for any change fees, etc. so he can use the tickets and get some value from them.

Changing the tickets to someone else's name might prove difficult, if not impossible but if you purchased all tickets, it might be worth an inquiry. "I've had a change of travel companions."

Sic transit Gary.

Originally Posted by butterflykisses
Hi,
My now ex-boyfriend and I had tickets for two trips this summer and now I am stuck with non-refundable tickets to Hawaii and PVR. Anyone have any advice on how I could recoup some of the cost or change over the tickets to someone else so the trips aren't a total loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 16, 06, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hi,
I don't think this would work, but you could ask, the worst that could happen is that AA says no:
Many posters here have reported success in changing the fare basis to a higher fare basis after ticketing. It requires paying the fare difference and a change fee. You could ask to have his ticket changed to a full-fare Y basis, which would, of course, be refundable. Your intent, of course, would be to refund it on a subsequent call. Like I said, I doubt that AA would do this, but I would sure try it before I blew off the airfare.

The best situation, of course, would be to sell it to the ex-boyfriend, but sometimes these separations can be messy.
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: All of 'em
Hi,
Know anyone that makes fake ID's?

(PS, hello to all my friends at the NSA now joining our conversation )
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
I don't think this would work, but you could ask, the worst that could happen is that AA says no:
Many posters here have reported success in changing the fare basis to a higher fare basis after ticketing. It requires paying the fare difference and a change fee. You could ask to have his ticket changed to a full-fare Y basis, which would, of course, be refundable. Your intent, of course, would be to refund it on a subsequent call. Like I said, I doubt that AA would do this, but I would sure try it before I blew off the airfare.
I agree that there's no harm in asking, but probably every set of fare rules I've ever read say something along the lines of "even if the fare class of this nonrefundable ticket is upgraded to a refundable fare, the nonrefundable portion remains nonrefundable."

Which is what the person at AA will tell the OP if she wishes to ask. I don't just doubt that it would work - I know it won't work.
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Hi,
You can call AA for the rules that apply to your tickets.
Generally, you can get credit for a future non refundable ticket that has to be used (or bought??) before the 1st anniversary of the first ticket.

One thing to note. You MUST cancel your current reservation before the original flight time. Failure to do this will make the ticket worthless (like your Ex-BF)

I think you should at least used YOUR ticket and have a great time.
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree that there's no harm in asking, but probably every set of fare rules I've ever read say something along the lines of "even if the fare class of this nonrefundable ticket is upgraded to a refundable fare, the nonrefundable portion remains nonrefundable."

Which is what the person at AA will tell the OP if she wishes to ask. I don't just doubt that it would work - I know it won't work.
Are refundable tickets changable as well? Like could you upgrade to Y or J and then change the name, since when you called to change the name they'd be looking at what appears to be a refundable (and thus transferable) ticket.

Or is that just stupid....
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The only reason I thought it might is that there is still a lot of time before this summer. If the flight was in two weeks, I would never have suggested it.

The only other thing I could suggest is to throw herself on the tender mercies of the AAgent, describing her plight and asking if there is anything she could do.

In the absolute worst case, she will have an empty seat next to her, so she can enjoy more seat room than the passengers in First Class. It's nice to have on that redeye coming back from Hawaii.
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gemac
If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. The only reason I thought it might is that there is still a lot of time before this summer. If the flight was in two weeks, I would never have suggested it.

The only other thing I could suggest is to throw herself on the tender mercies of the AAgent, describing her plight and asking if there is anything she could do.

In the absolute worst case, she will have an empty seat next to her, so she can enjoy more seat room than the passengers in First Class. It's nice to have on that redeye coming back from Hawaii.
Not without that passenger checked in she won't. I suppose she could check in for him online... but if the BP ain't scanned ain't no guarantees.

Did the guy cheat on you? Was it you? How bad was it, honestly. I'd start to think about counseling, for real. We're talking about Hawaii here.
Old Feb 16, 06, 2:53 pm

You can get some of the value back by having that person take a cheap flight and use your old ticket against it. Any value left over will be sent to you in the form of a voucher that can be used by anyone.

If you are left holding the tickets and can get no cooperation from him then you are probably out of luck.
Old Feb 16, 06, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flailey
Not without that passenger checked in she won't. I suppose she could check in for him online... but if the BP ain't scanned ain't no guarantees.

Did the guy cheat on you? Was it you? How bad was it, honestly. I'd start to think about counseling, for real. We're talking about Hawaii here.
Large passengers are allowed to buy two seats (I think they are even encouraged to do so - they sure are by me). I see no reason why a normal passenger would not be allowed to do that. I would OLCI, then explain that you have two boarding passes to scan because you bought two seats for extra comfort. Seems like it could work.
Old Feb 16, 06, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Flailey
Know anyone that makes fake ID's?
Along these (ethically dubious) lines you could do something like this. Note that this is a really bad idea and you absolutely shouldn't do it in real life.

1) Find new travel companion of the same gender as ex bf (unless ex BF is named Pat or Chris or something).

2) Book traveling companion two sets of refundable tickets, (a) one origin-anywhere leaving on the same day and roughly same time as you, and (b) one Hawaii-anywhere leaving on the same day and time as you return.

3) On line check in of all three outbound tickets.

4) Using the boarding passes from 2(a), go through the TSA check point. DO NOT use this BP to get on the plane.

5) Use ex-bf's boarding pass to get the person from (1) on the plane as very few airports check ID at the gate.

6) lather, rinse, and repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 on the return using the boarding passes from the outbound portion of 2(b) to enter security

7) refund tickets from 2.

Depending on the origin and Hawaii airport layouts, it would be ideal if the tickets from step 2 were on a different carrier which shares a terminal with AA and preferably on two separate carriers. I suspect your chances of being caught are small but nonetheless, it is a really bad idea and you shouldn't do it.

Michael
Old Feb 16, 06, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
I think WhoME's suggestion will work in general, but you'll be in for a lot of explaining if they do check IDs at the gate. I don't think the airlines look very kindly at this sort of thing, and I don't see how you could possibly explain yourself out of that situation. OTOH I haven't seen a single airport checking IDs at the gate in the past few years.

I think the simplest thing to do is just to cancel and get a voucher.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: