54 minutes @ ORD enough?

Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Flyer23

I would recommend that your friend bring only carry-on luggage that will fit on Eagle. If she needs to check a big bag, that's fine (sounds like the worst that will happen is that she might have to do without luggage for a day or so, but at least she'll be in Hawaii...), but she should try to avoid Eagle's gate-check. Not that there's anything wrong with Eagle's gate check, but avoiding it will get her going about 5-10 mins faster at ORD.

I don't get this comment. I have never seen an Eagle gate check take more than the 30 seconds it takes to get a tag and take the bag down the jetway.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Exp Plt, SPG Platinum, HH Gold VIP
I've had Good Luck with AE Service in ORD

I connect to / from AE every Monday and Friday out of ORD. I've been doing this since May and have yet to miss a flight, even with connection times as short as 32 minutes. Granted, YMMV, but so far it's been fine. (Where is the 'knock on wood' icon? ) My personal experience has been that, if my inbound flight has been a bit delayed, so is the outbound, usually for the same reason (which is usually weather ).

Now, I'm not a leisurely traveller as you describe your friend. I'm familiar with the airport and I head directly from my arrival gate to my depature gate, arriving with plenty of time to spare . If your friend decides to keep the original schedule, maybe she could be persuaded to be a bit less 'leisurely', at least until she finds her departure gate? Even for an infrequent flyer, 52 minutes should be plenty of time in ORD, assuming all flights are on time.

Concerns about the luggage could be helped by packing an overnight bag with necessary supplies. Of course, what I would considers 'necessary' (a change of clothes and toothbrush / toothpaste) and what Mrs. BostonFlyer consider 'necessary' (everything in the checked suitcase) are two different things
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by chicaloca453
But isn't Eagle into ORD consistently delayed? And won't it be more likely so out of MSP in the evening since NW pretty much owns that airport?

NO!!!

If there is weather, then the Supreme Being gets blamed for the delay, not Eagle....and weather would affect NW, DL, CO, UA, etc...

I just pulled up my last two month's flying....and of the 74 flights (including weekly January MSP overnights and oh-dark thirty departures the next day) all but three were ontime. Of those three, two were cancellations (so: one round trip) and once we were very late into CLE (I think that was a mechanical issue) Every other flight arrived earlier than scheduled, or right on time.

To say that Eagle is consistently late is erroneous. To say that weather and air traffic have big effects on ORD is absolutely correct. These two factors affect each and every airport in the world.

To believe that NW owns the airport and that Eagle is delayed because of that, is also erroneous. NW MAY "own" the airport, but they do not decide in what order airplanes take off and land. They do not receive special dispensation on the taxiway and runway.

If the connection gods are smiling on ORD that day, 54 minutes is plenty of time to walk from G21 gate to L8 (the farthest two gates) after waiting for your valet bags, and being able to stop and use the ladies room. Also, if there is no line, she would be able grab a cuppa joe at Starbucks, too.

You could look into flying MSP-DFW instead of ORD...

I always play out the worst scenario in my mind...what is the WORST thing that could happen if my flight is delayed and I miss my connection...and be prepared for that. If I am prepared for that in my mind, then I can handle whatever issues traveling brings out. If missing the first day in Hawaii is unacceptable, maybe she could leave the day before, just in case? Or, as someone else suggested, standby for an earlier MSP-ORD flight. (That may be the best way to ease your mind, I think.)

Last edited by DCA Blondie; Feb 22, 2006 at 12:25 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.