FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   March 1st Mileage Reset Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/524721-march-1st-mileage-reset-question.html)

nddomer04 Feb 9, 2006 3:16 pm

March 1st Mileage Reset Question

As I have read on previous posts, miles toward gold/plat upgrades reset on March 1. My question is...What happens if I fly on Feb 28? Do those miles count before the reset, or do they count on a new cycle since the miles won't post till March 3rd or so? I'm wondering because I'm only 2 thousand miles short of 4 more upgrades.

Thanks.

brp Feb 9, 2006 3:22 pm

I would expect them to retroactively post for 2/28, and basically disappear from the "Miles Toward Upgrades" before they even appear. In general, things are retro to the date of activity. This is just my understanding of things, and I'd love to be wrong in this case.

Cheers.

Ceasy Feb 9, 2006 3:49 pm

Do they give you a pro-rata distribution of upgrades if you are short of completing another 10,000 miles on March 1?

For example, if I have 15,000 miles on March 1, would AA issue me 2 upgrade certificates, or are those 5,000 miles towards upgrades just lost?

Thanks.

brp Feb 9, 2006 3:52 pm

They're lost...officially...one can call and see what they can get. If you search on this topic, you'll find very much discussion. Bottom line, though, is what I said in the first sentence.

Cheers.

stx00820 Feb 9, 2006 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ceasy
Do they give you a pro-rata distribution of upgrades if you are short of completing another 10,000 miles on March 1?

For example, if I have 15,000 miles on March 1, would AA issue me 2 upgrade certificates, or are those 5,000 miles towards upgrades just lost?

Thanks.

Yes, others have posted that they have done this before. Follow the, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" rule for calling.

nddomer04 Feb 9, 2006 3:53 pm

Everyone I know that has fallen short has just called and they have given partial credit. If the first rep says no, just call again....it'll work.

jab Feb 9, 2006 3:53 pm

Ceasy,

There was a thread here late Dec 05 early Jan 06 that mentioned a couple of posters who crossed the EXP mark with over 7500 sticker points. I believe that the recommendation was a call to EXP desk and ask for a prorated amount of stickers.

Of course, I don't know if this works for the March 1 problem or if non-EXPs get this option either.

Efrem Feb 9, 2006 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by nddomer04
As I have read on previous posts, miles toward gold/plat upgrades reset on March 1. My question is...What happens if I fly on Feb 28? Do those miles count before the reset, or do they count on a new cycle since the miles won't post till March 3rd or so? I'm wondering because I'm only 2 thousand miles short of 4 more upgrades.

Thanks.

This is not the only situation where flights are taken at or near a deadline and post after it. The same thing happens with qualifying in the last few days of December, flying in the last days of a promo, etc., etc. AA knows all about it. Credit is based on departure date.

SeAAttle Feb 9, 2006 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by jab
Ceasy,

There was a thread here late Dec 05 early Jan 06 that mentioned a couple of posters who crossed the EXP mark with over 7500 sticker points. I believe that the recommendation was a call to EXP desk and ask for a prorated amount of stickers.

Of course, I don't know if this works for the March 1 problem or if non-EXPs get this option either.

As a PLT, I have gotten prorated e-upgrades in each of the last 3 years - on the first call - no hassle or hesitation.

andrzej Feb 10, 2006 2:19 am

The only thing I need to add here is that one should call AAdvantage customer desk, not their respective status desk, when asking for partial sticker credit.

sdsearch Feb 10, 2006 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by andrzej
The only thing I need to add here is that one should call AAdvantage customer desk, not their respective status desk, when asking for partial sticker credit.

Thanks for that info! I was not aware of that.

Should I call right on Feb 28, a few days earlier, or Mar 1 or after? (My last flight before Mar 1 will be on Feb 18, and I'll be over 85% of the way to the next threshold after that posts. I'm PLT FWIW.)

ElvisNYC Feb 11, 2006 12:41 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Thanks for that info! I was not aware of that.

Should I call right on Feb 28, a few days earlier, or Mar 1 or after? (My last flight before Mar 1 will be on Feb 18, and I'll be over 85% of the way to the next threshold after that posts. I'm PLT FWIW.)

Call after Feb 18th (after the flights posts into account) and mention that your next flight is in March, and want to get partial upgrade credit. So don't wait till Feb 28th !

Hroma Feb 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by nddomer04

Thanks.

Hi:
I just ask for a cedit of the "miles towards upgrades" and I get 2 stickers. So, this really works...

Flailey Feb 15, 2006 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Hroma
Hi:
I just ask for a cedit of the "miles towards upgrades" and I get 2 stickers. So, this really works...

Wow, good to know. I just got dinged twice in the last few days. Will have to try again next week. Given that on those calls I had just spent a couple thousand bucks on that same call for travel for myself and various people in my office I was pretty shocked they didn't do it. Must have had some bad apples.

chrisw Feb 15, 2006 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flailey
Wow, good to know. I just got dinged twice in the last few days. Will have to try again next week. Given that on those calls I had just spent a couple thousand bucks on that same call for travel for myself and various people in my office I was pretty shocked they didn't do it. Must have had some bad apples.

Flailey, on that call were you talking to reservations (plat desk) or AAdvantage customer service? I believe for partial-credit for stickers you need to call AAdvantge, and I don't believe that AAdvantage customer service can book reservations.