Suspended

dereated

Last edited by JonNYC; Feb 9, 2006 at 7:07 pm
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1MM
Originally Posted by HNL
I've seen YUPS cheaper than Bs.
What markets are you looking at?

I regularly fly B fares between BOS and LHR, and it's great. For <$2K and 20K miles you get round-trip C class, a tiny fraction of the full J price. All you have to do is find flights where the J load is low, so as long as you don't go over Sunday night (or return on Friday PM), you have a very good shot. Fly mid week (I usually go over on Tuesday and return on Thursday a week later) and I've never missed getting the upgrade.

However, I cannot find B fares in any of the domestic markets. The YUP fares (both the A type and P type) would seem to fill the same niche in the domestic fare structure: a little below full Y, but with an upgrade built in.

For BOS-DFW (for example) YUPPMZ is $100 more than H26Z, and a little over half the price of full Y.

So, can anybody tell me of a concrete example where domestic B fares exist, and how they compare to a YUP in the same market?
Old Feb 9, 2006, 6:27 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eeleted. my bad.

Last edited by HNL; Feb 9, 2006 at 6:30 pm
Old Feb 9, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Honestly. I don't think you really are familiar, at all, with how much -B- fares, where available, actually cost-- I've seen you massively misstate the costs of -B- fares before-- they are very expensive as a general rule. I also don't understand what you think the advantages are in your case-- what, exactly, do you think they do for you?
Vs. Y though, they are not as expensive afor essentially the same thing, and on international routes offer a great opportunity for flexibility and no co-pay, low points upgrades. True they are not cheap like S fares but are not much more than some V, H etc., fares.
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Vs. Y though, they are not as expensive afor essentially the same thing, and on international routes offer a great opportunity for flexibility and no co-pay, low points upgrades. True they are not cheap like S fares but are not much more than some V, H etc., fares.
Did'ya see post #12?
Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On some routes, B fares offer great savings over full Y, as JonNYC has pointed out numerous times.

On other routes, however, beware the B fare, as they sometimes can be substantially more than Y, like here, on LAX-PVG for April 2:

Code:
WLXPX6M AA  W  Round-Trip 1040.00 (USD)     
WLWPX6M AA  W  Round-Trip 1090.00 (USD)     
WLSPX6M AA  W  Round-Trip 1100.00 (USD)     
MLXPX6M AA  M  Round-Trip 1190.00 (USD)     
MLWPX6M AA  M  Round-Trip 1240.00 (USD)     
MLSPX6M AA  M  Round-Trip 1270.00 (USD)     
BHAPCX AA  B  Round-Trip 1930.00 (USD)     
MKOW1 AA  M  One-Way 1085.00 (USD)     
YO2R AA  Y  Round-Trip 3330.00 (USD)     
YO2YMU AA  Y  One-Way 1785.00 (USD)     
YO2 AA  Y  One-Way 1810.00 (USD)     
BLEAS AA  B  Round-Trip 5118.00 (USD)     
DXR AA  D  Round-Trip 6510.00 (USD)     
JXR AA  J  Round-Trip 6770.00 (USD)     
DX AA  D  One-Way 3435.00 (USD)     
JXMU AA  J  One-Way 3545.00 (USD)     
JX AA  J  One-Way 3570.00 (USD)     
DWR AA  D  Round-Trip 7530.00 (USD)     
DW AA  D  One-Way 3985.00 (USD)     
JR AA  J  Round-Trip 8100.00 (USD)     
JJR AA  J  Round-Trip 8560.00 (USD)     
JMU AA  J  One-Way 4405.00 (USD)     
J AA  J  One-Way 4430.00 (USD)     
Y AA  Y  One-Way 4556.00 (USD)     
JJMU AA  J  One-Way 4665.00 (USD)     
JJ AA  J  One-Way 4690.00 (USD)     
J AA  J  One-Way 5668.00 (USD)     
FR AA  F  Round-Trip 11720.00 (USD)     
FMU AA  F  One-Way 6635.00 (USD)     
F AA  F  One-Way 6660.00 (USD)     
F AA  F  One-Way 7995.00 (USD)     

31 Fares Returned
I'll take a B fare, please, but not that $5,200 variety; I meant the $1,930 version.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
B class fares are the lowest economy fares that can be upgraded using miles at the full fare economy rate (fewer miles and no co-pay to upgrade). They also tend to be the cheapest fares that are very flexible.
Is this strictly correct? I am looking at a flight with fare code BHXAN2, which does have cancellation/change penalties associated with it. AA.com states Upgrade on Full Fare Economy is an upgrade to the next class of service on any unrestricted full-fare economy ticket. Unless otherwise noted, a full-fare ticket is one that is booked in Y or B and is unrestricted, requires no fee for change or cancellation, has no advance purchase requirements, and is fully refundable.

Do I take this to be that whilst BHXAN2 books in B it is not a Full Fare Economy for upgrade purposes, despite being a 'Full Fare Economy' for earning purposes?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 7:24 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Franklybrit
Is this strictly correct? I am looking at a flight with fare code BHXAN2, which does have cancellation/change penalties associated with it. AA.com states Upgrade on Full Fare Economy is an upgrade to the next class of service on any unrestricted full-fare economy ticket. Unless otherwise noted, a full-fare ticket is one that is booked in Y or B and is unrestricted, requires no fee for change or cancellation, has no advance purchase requirements, and is fully refundable.

Do I take this to be that whilst BHXAN2 books in B it is not a Full Fare Economy for upgrade purposes, despite being a 'Full Fare Economy' for earning purposes?
A B is a B is a B. the fare you mention will be considered as a B fare for the purposes of upgrading. If you have any doubts then the only way to resolve that is to call AA.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 9:05 am

On AA, as long as it books into B class, it is a B fare -- regardless of whether the B fare has any restrictions. And thus, does not require a co-pay of miles.

Originally Posted by Franklybrit

Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum
Just what I wanted to hear, many thanks.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:19 am

There are some fantastic B class fares that AA has from South America to Australia. $2000+ ex-SCL return, $2500+ ex-EZE and Brazilian ports.

In May I did POA-GRU-EZE-ORD-HNL-SYD-HNL-LAX-ORD-EZE-GRU-POA.

EZE-ORD-HNL,HNL-LAX-ORD-EZE cost a total of 20000 miles to upgrade.

You can even route these fares via NRT/HKG to get to Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.