Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RUMOR: $75 Exit Row Charge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by L-1011
No seatbelt extenders are allowed either (or is that just an airline interpretation?)

Its just an airline interpretation. AA doesn't enforce it.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
I had an FA on LHR-MIA tell me the same thing about the $75 exit row fee.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan

"I'm a rumor, I'm a rumor....
I'm a rumor, I'm a rumor....
I'm a rumor, I'm a rumor....
Oh oh oh... I'm a rumor."

You jarred my memory and after a few moments of quiet recollection, I was able to pull this one out of one of my lobes.......
http://www.lyricsondemand.com/t/time...orslyrics.html
Oh, the inner 80's child rears its head!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Psychocadet
Who first brought up the topic? Did the FA volunteer this info or did you ask if s/he had heard anything about an exit row fee? I'm not sure it really matters either way, but I am curious as to how the conversation started. FAs rarely tell me anything. <pouting>
Old Jan 13, 2006, 9:36 am
Suspended

The fact that more than one FA would have repeated this rumor is meaningless, IMHO, since they all get their info from the same place-- each-other.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by JonNYC
The fact that more than one FA would have repeated this rumor is meaningless, IMHO, since they all get their info from the same place-- each-other.
I'm glad you said that, I was thinking the same. Isn't it quite likely that the "joke" noted earlier was spread far and wide? That would explain multiple reports from FAs. (Or maybe it's simpler than that. Maybe psychocadet encountered the same FA that the OP did. )
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA is not a leader, at best it is a follower. What real innovations and market leading changes have they made?

Dave
AA created the frequent flyer mileage program--granted that was 25 years ago but it has got to be in the top 5 of best marketing ideas in the past 100 years.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:24 am

I fail to understand why everyone is getting so upset over this? Is it any different than charging non elites for last minute upgrades to First? Elites will always be able to reserve exit row seats at the time of booking. The only time an elite may not be able to get an exit row seat is with a last minute booking but is that any different than not being to upgrade to first at the last minute?

Exit row seats are great but not on all flights. The window seats can get very cold and I am convinced there is less cushion on these seats. The TWA seats are a tad better with their moveable armrests but even these have their own faults.

I find it funny that when I board a flight that is half empty, the exit rows are usually full and all other rows have lots of free seats--I would rather have an empty seat next to me than an exit row.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Who first brought up the topic? Did the FA volunteer this info or did you ask if s/he had heard anything about an exit row fee? I'm not sure it really matters either way, but I am curious as to how the conversation started. FAs rarely tell me anything. <pouting>
i WAS COMPLAINING ABOUT SERVICE CUTS IN GENERAL WHILE SHE WAS COMPLAING about her contract. In the end she goes "bu the way, have you heard that they are thinking about adding an exit row charge,,?"
Old Jan 14, 2006, 8:46 am

Is there other options AA can use to drive their Elites to UA

Originally Posted by Psychocadet
Other possible AA fees
$50 fee for Aisle seat
$35 fee for Window seat
$10 discount for a middle seat
$1 for coffee
$2 for bottled water
Pay toilets for coach could be an option
What about adding a few more rows of seats
$5 per carry on
$10 for advanced seating assignment (per boarding pass)
$10 for pre-boarding early
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:58 am
Suspended

Question

In my personal opinion, it's time to put this in the "let's wait and see if we hear this from a reliable source" category.

No harm in discussing it-- but no sense in all the prophylactic histrionics either, IMHO.

FA's are NOT a good source of information (at least while they are working) and if this is true we will know it soon enough.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by zman
Other possible AA fees
$50 fee for Aisle seat
$35 fee for Window seat
$10 discount for a middle seat
$1 for coffee
$2 for bottled water
Pay toilets for coach could be an option
What about adding a few more rows of seats
$5 per carry on
$10 for advanced seating assignment (per boarding pass)
$10 for pre-boarding early
Some of the airlines in Europe charge for all beverages, seat assignments and carry on's and checked luggage.

5 years ago everyone would be shocked if someone started a rumor that the airlines or Expdia would soon start charging you a fee to book a ticket. Fast forward to 2006 and people are used to it and life goes on.
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
In my personal opinion, it's time to put this in the "let's wait and see if we hear this from a reliable.
Amen. And if for some awful reason it actually happens, someone please post it in a new thread so we don't have to keep trolling through here every day looking for the "confirmed" post. I can't take many more threads where people endlessly go on about potential new "lav" fees or the like ... not that they don't have their validity (esp at AA), but they're hard on the eyes after a while...
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Amen. And if for some awful reason it actually happens, someone please post it in a new thread so we don't have to keep trolling through here every day looking for the "confirmed" post.
^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.