Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 1059 SJC-LAS-LAX - how many bis miles earned?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.88 MM-EXPlat, HHDiamond, SPG & Marriott Silver
Question AA 1059 SJC-LAS-LAX - how many bis miles earned?

This flight is 386 miles SJC-LAS and 246 miles LAS-LAX, but it's ONE flight number. Will I get the 500 mile minimum for the two legs? Or, will AA just give me the actual miles flown, in this case, 632 miles?

thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:00 pm

Off topic for Mileage Run, but the correct answer is 500, to reflect the 308 miles between SJC-LAX and the 500-mile minimum. On direct flights (where there is a stop, but the flight number stays the same), the miles are measured based on the distance between the origin and destination, irrespective of the miles flown in between those points and any intermediate stops.

Mike

Last edited by nako; Jan 5, 2006 at 1:03 pm
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.88 MM-EXPlat, HHDiamond, SPG & Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nako
Off topic for Mileage Run, but the correct answer is 1000 - 500 for each segment.

Mike
Well, it is a known good mileage run at $118 RT, but I actually meant to post in AA forum.

thanks
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Do a dummy booking and see if AA breaks up the "flight" for you. I believe I tried it once, and it gave me two separate mileage-earning trips = 1000.

Note: If it's considered one flight, then you only get the miles from SJC-LAX, which is 500 min.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by socoast
Well, it is a known good mileage run at $118 RT, but I actually meant to post in AA forum.

thanks
Please note that I misread the question and initially posted an incorrect answer - which I've since corrected. What you quoted was not correct.

Mike
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Well shoot, now I don't know. For fun, AA1038 is the LAX-LAS-SJC return.

That's a lot of flying for 500 miles

Have you tried SJC-SAN-LAX?
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:42 pm

Ive got a related question-
I am on AA1638 which goes from PHX-MCO and stops in DFW. I understand that Ill only get PHX-MCO miles, but what about segments? 1 or 2?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2006, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Greant
Ive got a related question-
I am on AA1638 which goes from PHX-MCO and stops in DFW. I understand that Ill only get PHX-MCO miles, but what about segments? 1 or 2?

Thanks
One.

Mike
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
After you make the reservation, call AA and ask them to break it into two PNRs. They usually will. (Standard advice: if the first agent doesn't, try another one, being careful not to push any of them to the point that they make a notation in the record.) That's enough to keep the system from recognizing that you're on one direct, if not non-stop, flight.

If the agent asks why, say you want to upgrade one leg but not the other. Then do that. You can always change upgrade requests online later. (The downside is that upgrading the entire flight will now require two 500-milers instead of one, but that's probably a small price to pay for the miles - and you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to, it may not be worth burning "stickers" for such short flights.)

Result: 1,000 BIS miles, 1,000 points and 2 segments each way.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Efrem
After you make the reservation, call AA and ask them to break it into two PNRs. They usually will. (Standard advice: if the first agent doesn't, try another one, being careful not to push any of them to the point that they make a notation in the record.) That's enough to keep the system from recognizing that you're on one direct, if not non-stop, flight.

If the agent asks why, say you want to upgrade one leg but not the other. Then do that. You can always change upgrade requests online later. (The downside is that upgrading the entire flight will now require two 500-milers instead of one, but that's probably a small price to pay for the miles - and you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to, it may not be worth burning "stickers" for such short flights.)

Result: 1,000 BIS miles, 1,000 points and 2 segments each way.
Can you do this with 2 through flights? I.e., 1059 to LAX and 1038 to SJC? Would this result in 2 PNRs (SJC-LAS and LAS-LAX)?
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Moving to AA forum...

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by socoast

thanks
If you only get 1 segment and 500 miles each way, it's not really a good mileage run. My understanding is that is all you get if it is the same flight number. Of course, there is the west coast bonus, which would get you another 1000-8000 miles for the trip
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Can you do this with 2 through flights? I.e., 1059 to LAX and 1038 to SJC? Would this result in 2 PNRs (SJC-LAS and LAS-LAX)?
There is no reason to do it when you have two flight numbers since they're already treated individually for mileage/point/segment calculation, upgrading and everything else (if there is anything else). It's only useful when you have a direct flight that makes a stop.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Efrem
There is no reason to do it when you have two flight numbers since they're already treated individually for mileage/point/segment calculation, upgrading and everything else (if there is anything else). It's only useful when you have a direct flight that makes a stop.
Sorry.... to clarify:

1059 flies SJC-LAS-LAX
1038 flies LAX-LAS-SJC

See what I mean now?
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Sorry.... to clarify:

1059 flies SJC-LAS-LAX
1038 flies LAX-LAS-SJC

See what I mean now?
It's also a fun flight because the entire LAX-LAS-SJC-LAS-LAX run is the same aircraft and crew. (It's a nice day's work...leave at 7:50am, back at 4:30pm).

I used it as a year-end "status quo" run (to keep my PLT). Here's what happened: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506768

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.