Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

How many miles are you getting from AAdvantage holiday shopping?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many miles are you getting from AAdvantage holiday shopping?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2005, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
-----------------------
TOTAL: 72,623 miles (value ~ $6,500 based on 90k J-award to Europe)

Please see my latest photo trip report:
Yokoso Japan! A comprehensive review of AA's trans-Pacific J service (IAD-LAX-NRT-JFK) with 400+ photos and 30 videos

CharlesMD.com: Celebrating American Airlines, the best airline on earth!

You would think someone who traveled so much would understand the metrix of valuing FF miles- unless you were willing to lay out your own $ to buy the full fare J ticket the MSRP is meaningless. AA miles are not worth the $0.07 this math implies.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Miles will come in over 4 to 8 weeks after your purchase

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
How long do the miles take to post? (And, is the posting time different for the different merchants, or do all of the miles post in a single block)? Thanks!
The bonus will come in sometime 6 to 8 weeks if you spent over $500.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Miles will come in over 4 to 8 weeks after your purchase

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
How long do the miles take to post? (And, is the posting time different for the different merchants, or do all of the miles post in a single block)? Thanks!
The 1000 AA miles bonus will come in sometime 6 to 8 weeks if you spent over $500. The double miles will post with each merchant's posting. A few folks last year had to nag and complain to get all their miles, but all of mine came in OK.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by AA in CA
A treadmill for roughly 5x the prices of 8 steaks? How cheesy is this treadmill?
No , he overpaid for the steaks. Omaha steaks are awful for the money. There are a handful of restaurants here in Omaha that serve the "Omaha Steaks". They are some of the worst places to get a steak in town.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:55 am

Actually bluenile gives quite a good deal! I am very happy!

I thought Bluenile looked kind of pricey. Ice.com seemed to have better prices, but you may get what you pay for.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:57 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by cme2c
No , he overpaid for the steaks. Omaha steaks are awful for the money. There are a handful of restaurants here in Omaha that serve the "Omaha Steaks". They are some of the worst places to get a steak in town.

Makes sense - none of this (surprise) was hanging together too well.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Is there any other place to get good diamond jewelry and get miles as well?? I looked at Macys.com, too.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:37 am
askworldtraveler

CharlesMD

You have a PM - please read it. Thank you.

Old Dec 18, 2005, 7:34 pm

Is there any other place to get good diamond jewelry and get miles as well?? I looked at Macys.com, too.

AFAIK, no where. Buying good diamond jewels and earning miles would be mutually exclusive. Although, you could earn some miles by using a Diners or other AAffinity card to pay for them. IMHO, buying jewelry is very personal and an easy transaction to get screwed on. It's the kind of thing you want to have some sort of relationship with the person which you are buying from.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I am pretty satisfied by what I got from BlueNile, though I have no idea of if I got ripped off or not. How does one know how much a piece of jewelry is worth? To me I figure the miles were worth like a 10-20% discount versus what I would buy from a jewelry store.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:14 pm
Suspended

How does one know how much a piece of jewelry is worth?
Oh my god. It's called an independent appraisal.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have a question then, is the jeweler going to loan me the piece of jewelry before I buy it? I will take the bluenile piece to an independent jeweler to see if I got ripped off.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:19 pm
Suspended

To me I figure the miles were worth like a 10-20% discount versus what I would buy from a jewelry store.
Please share how/why you figure it at that rate. To me, mileage incentives are 1-2% discount.

Like cme2c, I have not found bluenile to be a price performer but I recognize you may gauge value using different metrics.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 8:23 pm
Suspended

I have a question then, is the jeweler going to loan me the piece of jewelry before I buy it? I will take the bluenile piece to an independent jeweler to see if I got ripped off.
C'mon Chuck, you're playing naive. A seasoned player such as yourself certainly knows that you buy only from a retailer with a generous money-back return policy. After making your purchase, you can get the questionable piece appraised and if it doesn’t price out, you return it.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 9:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drtdk
Please share how/why you figure it at that rate. To me, mileage incentives are 1-2% discount.

Like cme2c, I have not found bluenile to be a price performer but I recognize you may gauge value using different metrics.
Wait, I am getting ~39k miles on this purchase. Even if you were to redeem it for an economy class reward to HNL that would be worth a cool ~600 or 8-10%. If you were to use it for a J or F award then the value would increase. Could you please clarify what you mean by price performer? I went to several shops in BOS, WAS, & NYC and bluenile seemed to have the best deal. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.