Wiki Posts
Search

BYOW (Bring your own wine)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2005, 8:54 am
Original Poster

BYOW (Bring your own wine)

FYI

I know there have been discussions in the past on wine/booze, particularly bringing your own on board. I brought wine into the J cabin twice in the last month and there were no problems. (half bottle of 01 Insignia and 89 Gaja Barbaresco).

The FAs had different ways of serving the wines. Both times I ask if the FAs could serve me the wine. Once they open the wine and gave me the bottle to serve myself, and another time they opened the wine and I had to ask for more. The FAs were very nice and accommodating my request. They would even ask if I wanted more wine whenever they came my seat.

Other posts have stated that in the high pressure cabin environment one could not enjoy a nice wine. I must state that although I was not able to enjoy the wines to its fullest capabilities, I found I could very much taste the various nuances of the wine and could enjoy it very much.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Just in time to bring bubbly on board for the holidays and have the FAs pour! I'll be the happy guy with the bottle(s?)!
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAFly

Other posts have stated that in the high pressure cabin environment one could not enjoy a nice wine. I must state that although I was not able to enjoy the wines to its fullest capabilities, I found I could very much taste the various nuances of the wine and could enjoy it very much.
For me, it's not that the pressure of the cabin has an effect. If I'm going to drink a nice (let's say '97 or '01 Silver Oak) bottle of wine, I'd like a more pleasant ambiance, and an accompaniment far better than I'll get on a plane.

I've had some quite nice (and cabin-appropriate wines on planes including, surprisingly, a Brunello when coming back from Italy.

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Other posts have stated that in the high pressure cabin environment one could not enjoy a nice wine.
High pressure? You mean like a high pressure interview?

I think you mean low pressure. Cabins are pressurized to about 8000 feet.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I totally understand not wanting to open good stuff with a view of AA blue interior accompanied with AA catering (mind you on my last trans Atlantic, I thought the food and pre-landing snack were good), yet if opening some nice wine makes the passage of time on a long flight more enjoyable, I am able to rationalize the expense. I also think picking the right wine may be important. My thinking is one will be able to better enjoy a wine with more fruit, as it will stand up better in the cabin environment. A soft and supple wine may be lost, insofar as taste.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:58 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your profile doesn't say where you are, but I'm guessing the Bay Area, or Napa/Sonoma

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Goldpointsplus Gold, Avis First
FYI

I know there have been discussions in the past on wine/booze, particularly bringing your own on board. I brought wine into the J cabin twice in the last month and there were no problems. (half bottle of 01 Insignia and 89 Gaja Barbaresco).

The FAs had different ways of serving the wines. Both times I ask if the FAs could serve me the wine. Once they open the wine and gave me the bottle to serve myself, and another time they opened the wine and I had to ask for more. The FAs were very nice and accommodating my request. They would even ask if I wanted more wine whenever they came my seat.

I see that there are some real connaisseurs on this board. How does one go about bringing the wine onboard? Sometimes what they have in J is fine, but I'm really spoiled and like to drink well. Having one's own choice onboard is a wonderful idea. Please tell me how its done.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
FYI

You can bring your own plonk on board? And the FAs will open it and let you drink it? Sounds too good to be true! I was under the impression that wine (and other alcoholic drinks) cost around $5 in Y class, domestic or international. I know the OP was travelling J class, but are you able to take your own plonk onboard. I wouldn't have thought so, but hey, who knows? But by the tone of the OP it may be an iffy proposition?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:15 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tuapekastar
You can bring your own plonk on board? And the FAs will open it and let you drink it? Sounds too good to be true! I was under the impression that wine (and other alcoholic drinks) cost around $5 in Y class, domestic or international. I know the OP was travelling J class, but are you able to take your own plonk onboard. I wouldn't have thought so, but hey, who knows? But by the tone of the OP it may be an iffy proposition?
Can't do it in Y, at last check. Only F/J...and even that's not always clear. Not in Y is pretty clear, though. Peons are peons, after all

Cheers.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:23 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Originally Posted by brp
Can't do it in Y, at last check. Only F/J...and even that's not always clear. Not in Y is pretty clear, though. Peons are peons, after all

Cheers.
Thanks for the response. Sounded too good to be true.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:29 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
I've had some quite nice (and cabin-appropriate wines on planes including, surprisingly, a Brunello when coming back from Italy.

Cheers.
I also had the Brunello in J to/from FCO and it was really really good!
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by RxCapt
I also had the Brunello in J to/from FCO and it was really really good!

Ditto on that Brunello--my husband and I polished off more that our fair share coming back from FCO.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RachelG
Ditto on that Brunello--my husband and I polished off more that our fair share coming back from FCO.
Having just been to Montalcino on the trip, and coming back with some Brunello of our own, we were surprised to see this...and drank only that (in fair quantity) until they ran out.

Sadly, our trip to FCO and VCE in Feb is not direct, so we transit through LHR...(and then BA) no Brunello on tha route

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Dec 14, 2005 at 12:33 pm
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HHonors DIA, Fairmont GLD they make me feel special!
I hope I sit beside you on my next flight
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I can't imagine going to the trouble of bringing my own good wine unless I also brought my own glasses (and I can't really see doing that). The thimbles AA uses, even in international F, are absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.