Wiki Posts
Search

Noise-cancelling in J on two-class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Noise-cancelling in J on two-class

Later this month, I'll be on IB 6122 from MIA to MAD, returning on AA 69. In J both ways. IB6122 (which may be an AA codeshare also, but it's definitely on IB metal) is a Airbus 340, with only 2 classes of service. AA69 is a 767, also with only 2 classes and definitely on AA metal.
Can anyone tell me whether to expect noise cancelling headphones?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:29 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
AA 763's should have Bose Noise Cancelling headsets and a portable DVD player.

777's also provide them in P and J cabins on other international routes.

Absolutely no idea with IB offers for IFE ...

Since it is getting close to Christmas .. ask Santa for a pair of your own and then you won't need to worry about such details!
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:30 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Yes on the AA 763 flight. No idea on the IB flight.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott SIL, Hyatt GLD
Originally Posted by JGR01
Since it is getting close to Christmas .. ask Santa for a pair of your own and then you won't need to worry about such details!
Now that you mention it...would you like to recommend some? I'm not a huge audiophile, although I do like my music to sound decent. The good bose ones are more than I'd spend. I would say my two big criteria are price and the ability to store flat so they easily fit into my thin briefcase.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by ORDinary Gold
Now that you mention it...would you like to recommend some? I'm not a huge audiophile, although I do like my music to sound decent. The good bose ones are more than I'd spend. I would say my two big criteria are price and the ability to store flat so they easily fit into my thin briefcase.
I just got a pair of Shure E4c Soung Isolating Earphones. I was trying them out last night before I went to sleep, and ended up waking up with them still on! Very comfortable, wonderful sound, and can be found on Amazon.com from a vendor called PlasmaBay for a reasonable sum.

Did I mention they come with a carrying case that you can fit in your pocket?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I use the Etymotic 6i's, but many people do not like stuff that goes in their ear -- in which case I strongly recommend the Bose.

Steve
Old Dec 10, 2005, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Are these two "noise cancelling" i.e. good for use on the plane or are they only good for use at home? Also any idea on what to expect to pay?

I have the "Plane Quiet" headphones that are $30 on ebay and ok, but not as good as the bose. They had an older model that was much better, but the newer model doesn't fully cover the ear like the Bose.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Check the Travel Technology forum for more discussion of the relative merits of different 'phones than you could ever stand to read.

But I do love my Boses. Spring for them, or as previously suggested, ask Santa to do so.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
I had the Bose. Tried the Shures, sold the Bose. When the Bose are offered on AA, I use the Shures. I bought the Ec2's for less than $200.00.

When you buy directly from Shure, you have a 30 day no questions asked return guarantee - at least they have had that in the past.

The in the ear kind (Shure and Eywhosits) work by blocking noise rather than cancelling it electronically.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 10:51 pm
J S

Later this month, I'll be on IB 6122 from MIA to MAD, returning on AA 69. In J both ways. IB6122 (which may be an AA codeshare also, but it's definitely on IB metal) is a Airbus 340, with only 2 classes of service. AA69 is a 767, also with only 2 classes and definitely on AA metal.
Can anyone tell me whether to expect noise cancelling headphones?
AA: Yes
IB: No (at least not 4 months ago)
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:21 pm
Suspended

I also have the Shure E2c. They take some getting used to until you learn how to put them in correctly but I wouldn't give them up now. I paid $60 with a coupon on buy.com. They also come with a cool case like the E4c.

I would recommend the new all-black E2c. They come with a shorter, more manageable cord.

Last edited by drtdk; Dec 10, 2005 at 11:26 pm
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Originally Posted by drtdk
I also have the Shure E2c. They take some getting used to until you learn how to put them in correctly but I wouldn't give them up now. I paid $60 with a coupon on buy.com. They also come with a cool case like the E4c.

I would recommend the new all-black E2c. They come with a shorter, more manageable cord.
E4c also come in "all-black" as well now
Old Dec 11, 2005, 1:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Plt, Hyatt Plt
Here's a thread from Travel Technology:

The Best Noise Canceling Headphones
Old Dec 11, 2005, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
I just ordered a pair of Sony MDR-NC50s. They haven't been delivered yet, but got good reviews from CNET. They're $116.84 (free shipping) at amazon.com. List price is $199.95. Here's amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

Here's cnet link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_MDR_NC5...2.html?tag=sub

Last edited by AuAAdvantage; Dec 11, 2005 at 6:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.