Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refresher Course on Challenge?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Refresher Course on Challenge?

We're currently gold (lost status from platinum). Can we do a platinum challenge while we are still gold? (We got the status in the first place by challenging.)

Additional question: if it is possible to challenge again for platinum, do Q points equal the miles earned with the gold bonus? Specifically, if we get 5000 airmiles on Q fare, is that 2,500 Q points or does the 25% gold bonus apply to the Q points also?
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by PStreet1
We're currently gold (lost status from platinum). Can we do a platinum challenge while we are still gold? (We got the status in the first place by challenging.)

Additional question: if it is possible to challenge again for platinum, do Q points equal the miles earned with the gold bonus? Specifically, if we get 5000 airmiles on Q fare, is that 2,500 Q points or does the 25% gold bonus apply to the Q points also?
Yes, you can do a platinum challenge while you are gold. The 25% Gold Bonus Miles you get are not Elite Qualifying Points, and therefore do not help you with the challenge. 5000 Miles in Q will get you 2500 EQP.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:45 pm

You can do a PLT challenge while GLD. The restriction appears to be against doing a PLT challenge while PLT, although there is the occassional rumor of not being able to do multiple PLT challenges.

Bonus points are not q-points. The aa website has a chart showing q-points per mile flown depending on the relevant fare class. Q gets you 0.5 points/mile or no points, depending.

edit: I should learn to type faster.

Last edited by richarddd; Dec 7, 2005 at 7:48 pm
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:30 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Keep in mind that Q fares on a transatlantic flights are not eligible to earn miles or EQP. Why? It is the rules.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:13 am

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
I will likely lose PLT in Feb 28 and will begin a challenge con Mar 15. Will probably post more than 10k EQPs by Apr15.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: Nothing fits in my travelling wallet any more...
Originally Posted by PStreet1
(We got the status in the first place by challenging.)
I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a prohibition on challenging to the same status in back-to-back years. Meaning, if I acquired PlAAtinum via challenge last year, I can't challenge to PlAAtinum again this year, to maintain it.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by thagale
I could be mistaken, but I thought there was a prohibition on challenging to the same status in back-to-back years. Meaning, if I acquired PlAAtinum via challenge last year, I can't challenge to PlAAtinum again this year, to maintain it.
There is a prohibition on challenging for a status you currently have. The OP, if I understand correctly, once had Platinum, but has now fallen to Gold, and is thus clear to challenge back to Platinum.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies (and yes, we're currently gold--due to become nothing at all).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.