Search

They rerouted me, Now I'm 200 miles short

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
They rerouted me, Now I'm 200 miles short

I just received a call from AA that my SEA to BOS via DFW was cancelled
due to weather in DFW. AA has put me on a flight via ORD.

The problem is now I will be about 200 miles short for requalifying for my platinum status. Can't talk to customer service now as they are closed so I'm not sure what they will say.

(My return was through ORD. If I could make that through DFW I would have enough miles. However the rep who just called said if I made changes to the return there were penaties ect.)

Your thoughts and advice??
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz 5*, Marriott PLT
Give the AAdvantage Desk a call after they reopen and ask for credit. They can modify your record that day to show up with the next day's online info. I think it needs to be done after the flight has been taken and probably best done after the incorrect points have posted.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
You should be OK if you foloow this advice.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
If you can get an agent to put a note in your record that you were rescheduled due to weather in DFW, it will be helpful. Even better if you can get the agent that rerouted you to make a note that you should receive credit for the original routing. But don't worry, that's (probably) not crucial. The important thing will be to talk to customer service as soon as possible and ask for original mileage credit. Note: I don't agree with the recommendation to wait for the flight to post with the lesser miles.

If for some reason you are told no when you call, (I will be surprised if that happens), politely hang up and call again later. I have received original routing credit several times and have read many reports here on FT from others who also have received the same. The agent may tell you that AA is making an exception just for you, so be sure to thank them for the favor.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
was missing 241M due to my misunderstanding that GIG-GRU-JFK is credited as GIG-JFK because it's single flight#. SHort call no hassle added the segment. requalified
Old Dec 7, 2005, 7:58 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
If this were December 30th I might allow some sympathy to be shed.

Since there are still over 23 days in the year (and several weekends) yet to requalify .. I will not shed any tears about the missing miles. You might need to buck up and just take a little run.

Now supposedly according to prior posts in January AA tends to announce their 'close enough' limit for requalification (free or $$). If you want to chance it .. you can wait and hope.

A short trip seems the cure-all that will insure you PLT.... otherwise you may become GLD.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Originally Posted by JGR01
Since there are still over 23 days in the year (and several weekends) yet to requalify .. I will not shed any tears about the missing miles. You might need to buck up and just take a little run.
Why should the OP have to spend money and time to do a MR when the situation is not really his/her fault?

Anyway, TaxiApple, when you say you'll be 200 short, do you mean 49,800 or 48,800? Normally AA allows a 1000 mile buffer for Plat requalification. That said, if you can get AA to cough up the extra 700 miles or so, that's the best option.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:01 pm

The OP planned ahead and scheduled enough miles to requalify. He was involuntarily rerouted which leaves him 200 miles short. IMHO that's not even the remotely the same as those who claim they are uninterested/unwilling to fly the necessary miles to retain status. Apparently AA sees it this way too - at least on some occasions. In early Dec 04 my husband was involuntarily rerouted. He would have lost significant miles from the reroute as ORD-PDX-DFW was reduced to ORD-DFW. It took two phone calls to AA, but he was awarded his original mileage credit and those 1500+ helped him requalify as EXP.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:03 pm

I forgot to state earlier that the OP should mention it was an involuntary reroute. It is important for CSR to be aware that the OP did not request/desire the change and that it was due to circumstances beyond his control.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
After this trip and one coming up to Dublin I'll have about 49,830 +/- miles. I would have had 50,400 or so had my flights not been changed.

I'll call the AAdvantage desk tomorrow morning and post their response.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:32 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
4 Miles Short

Just did a run to Dublin and somehow I miscalculated and my actual YTD miles is 99,996. Will the AAdvantage AAngels have mercy on me or do I have to fly to get EXP ????
Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by MileTex
Just did a run to Dublin and somehow I miscalculated and my actual YTD miles is 99,996. Will the AAdvantage AAngels have mercy on me or do I have to fly to get EXP ????
Four miles short? Ouch. Too bad there's not a special prize for the pax who comes the closest to 100K without going over. You'd win for sure.

One would like to think that AA would have mercy on you and grant you status, but... the sure way to guarantee requalification is to fly the miles. Look at it this way, you'll have a 496 mile cushion.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by MileTex
That is quite amazing.... I bet that if you call and ask (tomorrow of course, since the call center is closed today due to ice), the AAgent will magically come up with 4 miles for you... seriously, try it and report back.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM

Now supposedly according to prior posts in January AA tends to announce their 'close enough' limit for requalification (free or $$). If you want to chance it .. you can wait and hope.

A short trip seems the cure-all that will insure you PLT.... otherwise you may become GLD.
Nice.......
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta - Diamond; AA- PLT, 2MM; HH - Diamond
Talking Buy some flowers for your Spouse or SO

If you can't get AA to give you the miles you need, why not just buy some flowers or take advantage of one of the other opporunities to earn a few hundred miles without flying. They are listed on AA.com, and you might even earn an additional "bonus".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.