FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   EXP question regarding Lifetime Gld/PLT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/487806-exp-question-regarding-lifetime-gld-plt.html)

macmedia Oct 30, 2005 9:40 am

EXP question regarding Lifetime Gld/PLT

Question here...

I have accumulated 1.6MM miles and have lifetime Gold. Does this mean that if I fly an additional 25k miles each year, I make PLT? - or do I still have to fly 50k miles to make PLT.

I didn't get to make EXP for 05 but qualified for PLT - even though in 04, I only did 30k miles. Seemed kind of strange but I didn't argue.

Due to an expansion of my family, I didn't even get to travel at all this year but want to find out what I need to do to qualify for EXP starting next year - can I fly just 75k miles to do so?

GUWonder Oct 30, 2005 9:46 am

Originally Posted by macmedia
Question here...

I have accumulated 1.6MM miles and have lifetime Gold. Does this mean that if I fly an additional 25k miles each year, I make PLT? - or do I still have to fly 50k miles to make PLT.

I didn't get to make EXP for 05 but qualified for PLT - even though in 04, I only did 30k miles. Seemed kind of strange but I didn't argue.

Due to an expansion of my family, I didn't even get to travel at all this year but want to find out what I need to do to qualify for EXP starting next year - can I fly just 75k miles to do so?

For a lifetime Gold to make/requalify for Platinum still requires earning 50,000 EQMs/EQPs. For a lifetime Gold to make/requalify for EXP still requires 100,000 EQMs/EQPs.

For EXP, you as a lifetime Gold will need to earn 100,000 EQMs/EQPs next year.

andrzej Oct 30, 2005 9:51 am

Question here...

It is a simple concept, really.....

25K miles/points for Gold
50K miles/points for Plat
100K miles/points for EXP

no other way around it, except......

If you have no status or only Gold then you could do a challenge for Gold or Plat. No status - challenge for Gold or Plat. Gold status - challenge for Plat. No challenges for EXP.

You could read everything about challenges in the sticky above. :)

chartreuse Oct 30, 2005 10:18 am

Status drops one level per year when you don't requalify. So, presumably, you were EXP, did 30K BIS, and therefore dropped to Plat.

I have accumulated 1.6MM miles and have lifetime Gold.
Why does your profile say "AA 2MM EXP"?

nako Oct 30, 2005 10:18 am

If you were EXP in 2004, the worst that they would roll you down to is PLT in 2005 - even if you flew zero miles. AA has had a "soft landing" policy that only bumps you down by one level if you don't requalify for the higher level.

Mike

highandlow Oct 30, 2005 10:59 am

I have accumulated 1.6MM miles and have lifetime Gold.

Maybe your strategy should be to quickly accumulate 400,000 miles (flown or bonus), that way you make Lifetime Platinum at 2MM.

macmedia Oct 30, 2005 11:45 am

Ahhh.

That explains why I didn't lose my complete status. I thought we were lucky and the MM milers had that much less to requalify.

Originally Posted by nako
If you were EXP in 2004, the worst that they would roll you down to is PLT in 2005 - even if you flew zero miles. AA has had a "soft landing" policy that only bumps you down by one level if you don't requalify for the higher level.

Mike