When did the "Pay by Giftcard" feature happen?

 
Old Oct 28, 05, 11:23 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: PHX/SFO/LAX
Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Posts: 7,784
Question When did the "Pay by Giftcard" feature happen?

I was purchasing my SFO-LHR trip, and I noticed....

Pay by Giftcard

When did this happen? I don't recall seeing it when I bought my last three tickets.
ByrdluvsAWACO is offline  
Old Oct 28, 05, 11:32 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Posts: 3,656
B/c they just introduced giftcards...
zsmith2 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 05, 12:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WAS - (BWI/DCA/IAD)
Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Posts: 3,086
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I was purchasing my SFO-LHR trip, and I noticed....

Pay by Giftcard

When did this happen? I don't recall seeing it when I bought my last three tickets.
AA has recently (I believe last week) allowed customers to buy gift cards. That is why you can now pay with them.
777-DCA is offline  
Old Oct 29, 05, 1:38 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: PHX/SFO/LAX
Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Posts: 7,784
I know about the giftcards, but it's rare to see an airline introduce the online functionality to redeem them especially at the same time. I was just surprised to see it.
ByrdluvsAWACO is offline  
Old Oct 29, 05, 2:27 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WAS - (BWI/DCA/IAD)
Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Posts: 3,086
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I know about the giftcards, but it's rare to see an airline introduce the online functionality to redeem them especially at the same time. I was just surprised to see it.
I was suprised to see an airline offer a giftcard as well. I have never heard of an airline doing this, and it came as a big shock to me when I found out about it. I agree, being able to use the giftcard on-line is also suprising.
777-DCA is offline  
Old Oct 29, 05, 6:40 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: CT USA
Posts: 2,536
Glad to see on-line redemption. That way you don't have to pay the phone ticket fees.
JumboJet is offline  
Old Oct 29, 05, 9:58 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: PHX/SFO/LAX
Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Posts: 7,784
Now why can't they do the same for gift certificates?
ByrdluvsAWACO is offline  
Old Oct 29, 05, 10:04 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: STL
Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 12,963
Many of us were hoping that they would include functionality for using vouchers on AA.com when they put in the gift card feature. While I have not tried this, it appears that they did not. Since it would have been possible to do this for little or no added cost, we can only assume that AA likes having its passengers only get $35 value out of a $50 voucher.
gemac is offline  
Old Oct 29, 05, 12:24 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Posts: 1,598
Originally Posted by gemac
Many of us were hoping that they would include functionality for using vouchers on AA.com when they put in the gift card feature. While I have not tried this, it appears that they did not. Since it would have been possible to do this for little or no added cost, we can only assume that AA likes having its passengers only get $35 value out of a $50 voucher.
I think there are 2 main issues with this:
1) Small max value of gift cards. I think AA has been cautious about online redemptions of GCs/vouchers due to security reasons. Thus you can see they limited each gift card to a relatively paltry $100 (to limit exposure on each card). So imagine getting your nice int'l VDB in the form of 8 $100 gift cards. I imagine most people would not be amused.
2) Taxes. VDB vouchers are supposed to get special tax treatment (always excise tax, other taxes if voucher amount greater than base fare). That's non-trivial to implement.

Originally Posted by AApokes08
I was suprised to see an airline offer a giftcard as well. I have never heard of an airline doing this, and it came as a big shock to me when I found out about it. I agree, being able to use the giftcard on-line is also suprising.
CO has had e-mail GCs available for some time now redeemable on CO.com. Value can range from $25 to $10,000! NW has had paper GCs available redeemable on NWA.com. Value can range from $50 to $500.
acf573 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread