The "757 Airbus" just touched down

Old Oct 27, 05, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

The "757 Airbus" just touched down

I was just watching a feed of NBC 5 in Chicago via the web. They are covering the Chicago White Sox arrival back in Chicago after winning the World Series last night in Houston.

The White Sox flew back on 2 AA 757s arriving at MDW. The news crew just referred to each plane as a "757 Airbus."

I thought a few of you might get a chuckle, so I wanted to pass this on.
Old Oct 27, 05, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, LUV, SPG, HHonors, Avis, Hertz
Originally Posted by canes98
I was just watching a feed of NBC 5 in Chicago via the web. They are covering the Chicago White Sox arrival back in Chicago after winning the World Series last night in Houston.

The White Sox flew back on 2 AA 757s arriving at MDW. The news crew just referred to each plane as a "757 Airbus."

That's what happens when you don't have a Lester Holt hangin' around local to keep everybody grounded.
Old Oct 27, 05, 4:23 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Why not? Didn't Airbus move its headquarters to Chicago a couple of years ago?

(It should be Seattle Appreciation Week in Chicago anyway.)
Old Oct 27, 05, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Isn't that the new Airbus where you can squeeze 757 people in an all LRTC configuration?
Old Oct 27, 05, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Why not? Didn't Airbus move its headquarters to Chicago a couple of years ago?

(It should be Seattle Appreciation Week in Chicago anyway.)

Wasn't Boeing that moved from Seattle to Chicago?!?

Last edited by MACH81; Oct 27, 05 at 5:45 pm
Old Oct 27, 05, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by canes98

I love the ignorance of the media. The Sox flew on a 757 Airbus, the Air France plane that crashed in Toronto first was a 737 then it went to a Lufthansa 747. It's amazing how stupid these people are.
Old Oct 27, 05, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by AApokes08
I love the ignorance of the media. The Sox flew on a 757 Airbus, the Air France plane that crashed in Toronto first was a 737 then it went to a Lufthansa 747. It's amazing how stupid these people are.
Yes, media credentials should not be issued to anyone incapable of identifying a burning aircraft from 1,000 feet.
Old Oct 27, 05, 6:26 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by MACH81
Wasn't Boeing that moved from Seattle to Chicago?!?
Ya think?
Old Oct 27, 05, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
Yes, media credentials should not be issued to anyone incapable of identifying a burning aircraft from 1,000 feet.
Don't your eyes get tired with all the rolling in this message board.

Actually, media credentials should not be issued to anyone who think they are capable of identifying any aircraft burning or not or at any altitude and write it. It should be given to those that know how to verify the facts before writing it.
Old Oct 28, 05, 2:15 am

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.
Originally Posted by Blumie
Since when did you believe everything the media says?
Old Oct 28, 05, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by party_boy
Since when did you believe everything the media says?
"everything"; how about anything?

Honestly, it is funny how when the news talks about something you know, how wrong they are. It is also funny how "news" has turned into 25 minutes of commercials, weather, human interest stories, and entertainment happenings out of a 30 minutes program.
Old Oct 28, 05, 3:24 am

Programs: AA EXP (home of the "Comfort Mileage Run")
Originally Posted by audio-nut
Honestly, it is funny how when the news talks about something you know, how wrong they are.

You are so right. It really makes me take anything they write/say with a 5 lb bag of salt.
Old Oct 28, 05, 9:57 am
Suspended

On 9-11, NBC reported that the plane that flew into the WTC was possibly a business jet. My first thought was a medium bomber that flew into the Empire State Building in fog (but 9-11 was clear).

Later in the car, I heard a local radio station report that a 2nd plane had flown into the WTC and the DJ thought that it was some kind of serious ATC error. My first thought was "bin Laden".
Old Oct 28, 05, 10:48 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by seat 50J
On 9-11, NBC reported that the plane that flew into the WTC was possibly a business jet. My first thought was a medium bomber that flew into the Empire State Building in fog (but 9-11 was clear).

Later in the car, I heard a local radio station report that a 2nd plane had flown into the WTC and the DJ thought that it was some kind of serious ATC error. My first thought was "bin Laden".
The DJ on the radio station I was listening to when it happened said the first plane was a Cessna.
Old Oct 28, 05, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Talking

My friend and I are constantly noticing how much information they get wrong. That might not be much of a concern if their job was to deliver pizza, but, they're in the Information Gathering and Disseminating Business. I feel sorry for anyone that relies particularly on Local news coverage for their only source of info for anything...

Search this Thread