FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Online booking bonus question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/486958-online-booking-bonus-question.html)

Efrem Oct 27, 2005 12:19 pm

Online booking bonus question

The online booking bonus fine print reads:

Earn 500 AAdvantage bonus miles for one-way travel or 1,000 miles for round-trip travel on American Airlines, American Eagle...
The 1,000 miles post as 500 each for the first two legs of a round trip, so you get them all in the outbound direction if there's at least one connection.

Does anyone know if a one-way trip with a connection also earns a 1,000-mile bonus? I don't have one coming up and I'm not about to book one, just curious.

HardlyW8 Oct 27, 2005 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
The online booking bonus fine print reads:

The 1,000 miles post as 500 each for the first two legs of a round trip, so you get them all in the outbound direction if there's at least one connection.

Does anyone know if a one-way trip with a connection also earns a 1,000-mile bonus? I don't have one coming up and I'm not about to book one, just curious.

No it would not unless each leg of the one way trip was booked online as a separate ticket

Efrem Oct 27, 2005 5:34 pm

(deleted to remove accidental double post)

Efrem Oct 27, 2005 5:35 pm

Perhaps I phrased the question poorly. I know that's what it says. I know that's what's supposed to happen. However, what's supposed to happen and what actually happens are often not the same. To rephrase: Does anyone have specific, recent, personal experience booking a one-way trip of two or more legs on aa.com, and did you get one or two 500-mile bonuses?

vasantn Oct 27, 2005 6:51 pm

To rephrase: Does anyone have specific, recent, personal experience booking a one-way trip of two or more legs on aa.com, and did you get one or two 500-mile bonuses?

Yes, one. :(

chrisw Oct 27, 2005 7:01 pm

Anyone know if one gets the online booking bonus is the final leg of a round trip is not taken? For example, JFK-LHR-DFW-DCA-(JFK), where the DCA-JFK leg is never flown?

As the OP said, I believe I've seen the entire 1000 mile bonus before the return trip has even commenced, so I am hopeful the all 1000 miles would post in the case I mentioned.

Efrem Oct 27, 2005 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by chrisw
...As the OP said, I believe I've seen the entire 1000 mile bonus before the return trip has even commenced, so I am hopeful the all 1000 miles would post in the case I mentioned.

That's exactly what led me to ask the question. Since they both posted on the two-hop outbound trip, might I perhaps have gotten them both if I had booked only that?

Unfortunately, vasantn says "no."

Oh, well. I pretty much book just round trips anyhow.

vasantn Oct 27, 2005 7:44 pm

Unfortunately, vasantn says "no."

But as always, YMMV! :)

Chicago HawkI Oct 27, 2005 10:05 pm

In my experience over the past few years booking 1-way flights to/from project locations, if your flight is booked as a connection with two seperate flight numbers, you should receive two 500 miles bonuses for a total of 1000 miles.

My most recent experience being in early August 2005.

CH