Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I go to airport just to get bumped?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Platinum
Should I go to airport just to get bumped?

I have decided that I shouldn't go to MIA for the weekend, just not a good idea. As was predicted, AA won't budge in its position as far as a refund. However, I checked EF, and they show Y2 B2 for the outbound. Should I go to the airport and check in as though I'm going to fly, and then wait to get a bump? I suggested to AA that they let me take a refund on my seat, so they can use it to reaccomodate those displaced by Monday, today and tomorrow, but no dice. Is it possible that I could make money on this, by going to the airport and "volunteering" my seat, and taking whatever they offer? Granted, it will be AA scrip, not $$, but I fly enough that I can use it. Also, I had a mileage upgrade, what do I have to do to get that redeposited?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:24 am

I don't think it would be a good idea to check in and pretend you are going to take the flight. IF you do get bumped and compensated, the first thing they would do is confirm you on the next available flight. If you don't show up for that one, they will cancel your reservation and keep your money. I'd guess that your fare -$100 is more than you would get in VDB compensation. Beyond which, it is not a guarantee that you will get bumped.

Another problem is I'd think that if you check in for the flight that there will be no way to get the miles used on the upgrade back. I'm pretty sure AA's policy is to charge $100 for mileage redeposit, on top of the $100 change fee for cancelling the reservation.

I'd reccomend cancelling the reservation before the flight, even at a $200 price tag.

-Matt
Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:44 am

The other question is how much is your time and transport to/from the airport worth if the flight doesnt need a volunteere.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The tickets were only $175, so even if I lost those, a $300 VDB would be worth it. My bigger concern is the upgrade miles.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:45 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
I have decided that I shouldn't go to MIA for the weekend, just not a good idea. As was predicted, AA won't budge in its position as far as a refund. However, I checked EF, and they show Y2 B2 for the outbound. Should I go to the airport and check in as though I'm going to fly, and then wait to get a bump? I suggested to AA that they let me take a refund on my seat, so they can use it to reaccomodate those displaced by Monday, today and tomorrow, but no dice. Is it possible that I could make money on this, by going to the airport and "volunteering" my seat, and taking whatever they offer? Granted, it will be AA scrip, not $$, but I fly enough that I can use it. Also, I had a mileage upgrade, what do I have to do to get that redeposited?
South Miami Beach had far less damage than Fort Lauderdale. I would expect it to be back in Full Swing by Friday Late Afternoon.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 8:48 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GOLD
jus tmake sure that you have a back up plan
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
If I remember correctly, you live a decent ways from Logan. Given that the odds of getting a bump on a flight that's listed as Y2 are very low, it's just not worth the hassle.

Remember, when a flight is listed as Y0, it means that AA's revenue management models are predicting that every seat will be filled, but that there will be sufficient cancellations and no shows that no one will need to be bumped. So if the flight is listed as Y2, AA is predicting that it still can sell 2 seats without having to bump anyone.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I agree with AA - why should you get a refund on a nonrefundable ticket?

why don't you just change your travel dates to another time?
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
If I remember correctly, you live a decent ways from Logan. Given that the odds of getting a bump on a flight that's listed as Y2 are very low, it's just not worth the hassle.

Remember, when a flight is listed as Y0, it means that AA's revenue management models are predicting that every seat will be filled, but that there will be sufficient cancellations and no shows that no one will need to be bumped. So if the flight is listed as Y2, AA is predicting that it still can sell 2 seats without having to bump anyone.

Yes, Logan is quite a trip. One worth it for a few hundred bucks, but only if its a pretty sure thing. However, I checked EF again this morning, and it was up to Y7 F1, so no dice.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Yes, Logan is quite a trip. One worth it for a few hundred bucks, but only if its a pretty sure thing. However, I checked EF again this morning, and it was up to Y7 F1, so no dice.
When is a bump ever a pretty sure thing? Most flights that show zero inventory do not bump passengers, so while there may be predictors that help you increase the odds of a bump, it never comes close to being a sure thing.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

When is a bump ever a pretty sure thing? Most flights that show zero inventory do not bump passengers, so while there may be predictors that help you increase the odds of a bump, it never comes close to being a sure thing.

I was also considering all the people who have been cancelled off of their flights to MIA the past few days that will likely show up to try and get rebooked, and that might create a need for additional seats on Friday.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLT
The tickets were only $175, so even if I lost those, a $300 VDB would be worth it. My bigger concern is the upgrade miles.
Is your time not worth anything to you?

Not only that, but I bet there will be more no-shows than normal on anything in/out of MIA for a while. I was on a flight Sunday (one of the last flights to leave before the storm) that was showing overbooked, and they cleared all standbys and it still left with empty seats. I am sure the reason your flight is almost sold out is because a lot of people from Mon & Tue were rebooked on it, but just like you, not all of them actually want to fly to Miami anymore.

One last thing... the Ft. Lauderdale Boat Show was supposed to be this weekend and has now been postponed to next weekend. I am sure a lot of people on your flight were going to it.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4M
Standby:

I was also considering all the people who have been cancelled off of their flights to MIA the past few days that will likely show up to try and get rebooked, and that might create a need for additional seats on Friday.
Wouldn't those people showing up just get placed on a standby list to begin with? So you would be guaranteed a seat prior to clearing refugees.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,Continental Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
What is a Y2, and where do you find this?

I noticed that the Y2 or Y0 acronym is being used. I'm not sure what this means. Where do you find this information?

Thanks,
Old Oct 26, 2005, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kat99
I noticed that the Y2 or Y0 acronym is being used. I'm not sure what this means. Where do you find this information?

Thanks,
By searching actual availability of seats for sale, one can find the remaining inventory. Y2 means that AA is willing to sell two more coach seats at full Y prices. By that time, the plane is probably oversold. Y0 means, of course, that AA is no longer willing to sell any more coach seats.

There are free sites for finding this info, but my favorite is www.expertflyer.com , an inexpensive site that provides upgrade inventory as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.