Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New LAN Argentina flight MIA-EZE, but no AA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2006, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
But what's stopping the other LAN affiliates from just dropping the Peru, Ecuador, etc and just calling themselves LAN? The respective govts can't stop them, LAN wouldn't mind, and surely the customers could care less.

This would be similiar to a franchise and the OW alliance could be applied to all the affiliates irregardless of ownership percentages.
Ask a Peruvian if they want the biggest airline in their country to share a name with a Chilean carrier... It may not seem like much to those in the US, but there is a reason why the country name is there.

In addition, many companies set up independent subsidiaries abroad and add a local name at the end to make it easier to keep accounts separate. For example, no one in Brazil buys a "Ford do Brasil" car but Ford added "do Brasil" at the end for a reason.

Economic nationalism is far from dead... look at recent squabbles among EU members trying to block the sale of their biggest companies to companies based in other EU countries (from Italy's right-of-center government to Spain's left-of-center government).
Old Apr 9, 2006, 6:29 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Mateo4321
Anyone know what the deal is with 4M's MIA-EZE?

IIRC, they were going to change registration of a 767 from LA to 4M
Starts in August. Should be bookable in two weeks.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 9:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Starts in August. Should be bookable in two weeks.
ha! i wouldn't book on them before i see a flight!
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
Ask a Peruvian if they want the biggest airline in their country to share a name with a Chilean carrier... It may not seem like much to those in the US, but there is a reason why the country name is there.
You are quite correct about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.