Left Digital Camera on AA81 10/23 (LGW-DFW)

Old Oct 24, 05, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Left Digital Camera on AA81 10/23 (LGW-DFW) Help!

Hi - I was on AA 81 yesterday (10/23) flying back from LGW to DFW after a week-long vacation in France.. we visited Paris, Nice, Eze, Monaco, San Remo, Cannes, London... and I forgot the digital camera (Pentax Optio 5.0) in the seat pocket in front of me (seat 30C)! Its the camera I gave to my boyfriend for his birthday and has all our pictures from this and other trips and pictures from his grandfather's funeral, sister's graduation etc... the other trips are all backed up, but the ones from this trip will be lost forever if we cannot recover the camera.

I have called the AA "left articles" office at DFW but have not heard back from them, have emailed (online) customer service -- no response.

Do any of you know if there's anything else I can do? Or else if you are on a 767 (guessing they use the same plane between LGW and DFW) can you check in the pocket? (Perhaps it hasn't been picked up by the cleaning crew?)

Thanks for any help or ideas!!

Last edited by florins; Oct 24, 05 at 3:45 pm
Old Oct 24, 05, 3:50 pm

the cleaning crew are suposed to turn in all left articles but if you want yuor camera back i would look on eBay.

welcome to flyer talk
Old Oct 24, 05, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

thx for the welcome... have been reading for a while... great resource...

a friend who works for them says they actually auction them at ATL...

I always (ha!) check before deplaning, kicking myself for forgetting to this time..

you never know, this may turn up something... (fingers crossed!) had to try, we have great pictures that I don't want to lose...
Old Oct 24, 05, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

update..

just heard back from customer service... the flight continued on to Los Angeles as flight number 2465. (anyone on that flight?) they have filed a report for me at LAX...
Old Oct 24, 05, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum
Best of luck to you in getting the camera back. Unfortunately I think the odds are very slim. Over the years on AA, I have left items on the plane several times and never have been able to secure their return.

Just this year, I left my iPod in the seatback pocket in FC. I realized this as soon as I was in a taxi leaving the airport. I called the local lost and found immediately, but got a voice mailbox. I then called the local AC. They were very nice and sent someone to the plane as it had not yet departed. They called back and said no dice, unfortunately this is the domain of the cleaning crew. Someone if probably enjoying both my iPod and your camera. I kicked myself, as I had been forgetful. Unfortunately I think it is difficult for AA to have a better system for these type of things.

I will keep my fingers crossed. I would be happy to hear of anyone who was able to get a lost item back from AA.
Old Oct 24, 05, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Its on ebay with my ipod.
Old Oct 24, 05, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UA
Unhappy

Ouch I share your pain... I left a Canon Digital SLR, a fine lens and a 1 GB flash drive in over this past Labor day weekend in F on an MD 80 from MCO-STL... By the time we realized and got back to the aircraft, it was pushed back and the cleaning crew said they found nothing

Nice GAs radioed aircraft for us and said that if crew found it they would notify the AA ExPlat desk for us... almost 8 weeks later, still no camera... I've given up.

Basically, note to self - "check and double check even when rushing for a connecting flight."
Old Oct 25, 05, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

misery loves company... your stories help... thx all... still hoping though.. maybe whoever finds the camera can at least send me the pictures (how though? oh well...)
Old Oct 25, 05, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe someone claimed it?

I know that I was at OAK a few weeks ago, and they kept announcing that the person who had inquired about the iPod should contact the desk. They repeated this 3 or 4 times.
Old Oct 25, 05, 1:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
Sorry to hear this. The camera can be replaced but not the pictures.

I've always been afraid this would happen to me when it gets hectic after landing, so I never put anything more valuable than a magazine in the seat pocket.
Old Oct 25, 05, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, BA, SPG
florins, I feel you. Keep us abreast.

Makes me want to just out a sticker on my memory card (If found, go ahead and keep it but at least have the decency to forward the memories, ya thieving .......!)

But keep hope alive. I worked at the Lost and Found for the Long Island Railroad. You'd be surprised how many things actually are left UNCLAIMED.
Old Oct 25, 05, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
I left my wife on the plane once.....but they promptly returned her
Old Oct 25, 05, 4:09 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by chiproos
I left my wife on the plane once.....but they promptly returned her
What was her reserve on EBay? Perhaps it was a bit too high for other takers.
Old Oct 25, 05, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 3.8mm, DL gold
Originally Posted by JGR01
What was her reserve on EBay? Perhaps it was a bit too high for other takers.
Be very careful.....she comes with alot of baggage and last time I looked, AA charges extra for excessive baggage.

Thank the Lord she doesn't know this site exists or I might find myself crammed into an overhead bin!
Old Oct 25, 05, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
It might be worth it to go to the local baggage office at your airport, slip the agent a $20 and tell them another one is theirs if they help you get back your camera. hey have the ability to look in the systems to see if it was found. It worked for me on a handheld GPS. I actually *compensated* the agent a $50 bill for their efforts, but it was worth every penny.

Search this Thread