Brussels Lounge Access

 
Old Oct 24, 05, 1:07 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AAPLT, UA PE
Posts: 30
Brussels Lounge Access

I will be flying JFK-SOF in a few weeks via Brussels. I am an AA-PLT member. My second segment will be operated by SN Brussels, and I will be flying coach the entire journey. Will I be able to use the SN lounge, or only those operated by oneWorld (BA or Iberia)? I'd really like to take a shower on the stop-over.

Thanks in advance.
Podroza is offline  
Old Oct 24, 05, 1:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cambridge, MA or an aluminum tube at 30,000+ft.
Programs: AA-1MM, AS, US, BA, UA, AGR-Select
Posts: 1,113
I was able to use the SN lounge in Brussels while connecting from JFK-BRU-NBO. I was AA-Plat and flew in Y to BRU. I was admitted to both SN lounges but it was on the basis that I was flying C BRU-NBO on SN. So I'm not sure if SN has the same kind of agreement with AA as LX. I have had lounge access in ZRH while flying Y on AA ZRH-JFK. FYI, unless SN has revamped its lounge in BRU, the shower is nothing to brag about. It certainly isnt Molton Brown.....
bennytma is offline  
Old Oct 24, 05, 1:14 pm
  #3  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,859
Even if you were to manage to get access to the BA lounge, I do not recall seeing showers in the BA lounge at BRU on any of my visits.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Oct 24, 05, 1:18 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbus, OH USA - DL Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 161
I do not think you will have access to the BA lounge as you first have clear immigrations upon arrival and the BA lounge is in the departures area. SN is in a totally different terminal and I doubt they have showers in that terminal.

Good luck.
CMH-traveler is offline  
Old Oct 24, 05, 1:19 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: AAPLT, UA PE
Posts: 30
Right, I recall reading that the only shower facility is in the SN lounge. I called the PLT desk and the agent mentioned I'd likely only get into the BA lounge/Iberia, but she didn't seem very sure herself.
Podroza is offline  
Old Oct 24, 05, 2:02 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Posts: 5,800
Since SN Sabena is no longer part of OneWorld your status will not get you into the club with them. And you are flying coach so again.. no club.

As mentioned the BA lounge is in the International wing and technically you need to be flying a OneWorld carrier that day to use that lounge. You would be able to use this lounge on the RETURN BRU to JFK but probably not on the origination...(with your PLT status)

The BRU domestic side is totally apart from the international and once you get there you cannot return! I was stranded by a SN (old SN) strike and had no way for AA to help me change my flight as I was stranded in the domestic portion of the airport.
JGR01 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 05, 2:20 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,859
Originally Posted by JGR01
Since SN Sabena is no longer part of OneWorld your status will not get you into the club with them. And you are flying coach so again.. no club.

As mentioned the BA lounge is in the International wing and technically you need to be flying a OneWorld carrier that day to use that lounge. You would be able to use this lounge on the RETURN BRU to JFK but probably not on the origination...(with your PLT status)

The BRU domestic side is totally apart from the international and once you get there you cannot return! I was stranded by a SN (old SN) strike and had no way for AA to help me change my flight as I was stranded in the domestic portion of the airport.
If travelling on an American passport (or any other passport whose country is a visa-waiver country for the Schengen zone), then you can always clear immigration control and come back in -- even if from landside. It'll just take some time and more lines.

For which years was SN Brussels part of OneWorld? I don't ever recall that.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 24, 05 at 2:22 pm
GUWonder is online now  
Old Oct 24, 05, 2:44 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If travelling on an American passport (or any other passport whose country is a visa-waiver country for the Schengen zone), then you can always clear immigration control and come back in -- even if from landside. It'll just take some time and more lines.

For which years was SN Brussels part of OneWorld? I don't ever recall that.
Indeed it never was. Also, as a clarification, there is no such thing as international or domestic terminal in Brussels. There is a Schengen terminal and a non-Schengen one. SOF (bulgaria) is, I believe, a non-Schengen destination, hence leaving from the same terminal as US flights.
Buckdany is offline  
Old Oct 24, 05, 3:27 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Posts: 5,800
Was SN (the old Sabena) just a code-share? I don't recall . but with their changes and all I noticed they are not listed on the OW page.. so assumed it was a change.

Its sometimes hard to figure out the code-share vs OW relationships .. without a roadmap!
JGR01 is offline  
Old Oct 24, 05, 3:44 pm
  #10  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Posts: 88,859
Originally Posted by JGR01
Was SN (the old Sabena) just a code-share? I don't recall . but with their changes and all I noticed they are not listed on the OW page.. so assumed it was a change.

Its sometimes hard to figure out the code-share vs OW relationships .. without a roadmap!
Sabena (like its now-defunct Qualiflyer Group partners including SwissAir) had a codeshare (and other relationships) with AA and BA. But it was not a member of Oneworld as far as I can recall. IIRC, LOT Polish was for a while but then was no longer listed on the OW page.
GUWonder is online now  
Old Oct 24, 05, 3:53 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Belgium
Programs: QR platinum
Posts: 634
if your flight to SOF has an SN number, i could offer you a voucher to enter the SN lounge
if your flight is codeshare with AA number then you can use the BA lounge
beepee is offline  
Old Oct 26, 05, 10:16 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Posts: 243
Originally Posted by Podroza
I will be flying JFK-SOF in a few weeks via Brussels. I am an AA-PLT member. My second segment will be operated by SN Brussels, and I will be flying coach the entire journey. Will I be able to use the SN lounge, or only those operated by oneWorld (BA or Iberia)? I'd really like to take a shower on the stop-over.

Thanks in advance.
Also, if you have a Diners Club card, there are DC lounges in both terminals
Buckdany is offline  
Old Oct 26, 05, 7:20 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Programs: spg-plat, aa-1mm and exp,hh-Diamond,hyatt-gld
Posts: 165
recently passed through this airport- and could pass !! not much to offer!
lestismore is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread