TSA at LAX

Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:08 am
Original Poster

TSA at LAX

The TSA bag screener at the first class line this morning at LAX was refusing to screen bags from First Class passengers. He said he only checked small bags and that any regular sized bags need to be taken to the long xray line.
As a result he was just standing there doing nothing.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: United 1K
I go through AA at LAX all the time. How big were the bags he wouldn't screen?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Doesn't the AA F/elite line just merge with the "regular" line before getting to the x-ray machines? I've never seen a separate x-ray machine dedicated to the F/elite line at LAX.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier
Originally Posted by Blumie
Doesn't the AA F/elite line just merge with the "regular" line before getting to the x-ray machines? I've never seen a separate x-ray machine dedicated to the F/elite line at LAX.
It is separate line but unmarked. The moat dragon sends you there after looking at your BP. It is usually longer than the regular lines at peak times. I have never had a problem with carry on there.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:25 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
It is separate line but unmarked. The moat dragon sends you there after looking at your BP. It is usually longer than the regular lines at peak times. I have never had a problem with carry on there.
I think the OP was referring to the checked baggage scanner rather than the x-ray machines for carryons at the security checkpoint.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think Spiff hit it on the head. The checked bag screener on the elite side (west side of the checkin area) usually just swabs the checked bags and sends them on their way.

I would have been tempted to politely tell the guy to shove my checked bag. What next? "Hey, this bag has to be taken to T-1 for screening." WTH?

Screen the bag, screener!

If you want to schlep it over to another part of the terminal to screen it, then have at it!
Old Oct 24, 2005, 9:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat AA, Starwood Plat 100, Hilton Diamond
In a recent experience there, the same TSA person said that the machine was malfunctioning, and therefore, one had to go other to the lengthy baggage screening line. As I was heading over there, a SkyCap asked if he could take the bags and do it for me. I thanked him, gave him a nice tip and went to the line for id check and body scanning upstairs.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Did someone say something negative about LAX security?
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by sechs
Did someone say something negative about LAX security?
What if they did?

Personally, I've found LAX to be one of the better airports with respect to the TSA infestation. LAX at T4 has never been a shoe carnival for me, nor do they play multiple BP or ID games.

My only real complaint about LAX is the asshat who closed the tunnels and keeps the mailboxes offline, as well as checks BPs for those using the airside shuttles. Apart from that nonsense, LAX is ok.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 11:36 pm

The joke flies straight over his head... splat, on the wall.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by sechs
The joke flies straight over his head... splat, on the wall.
Please, enlighten me.

I truly hate dealing with the TSA. I find the LAX experience to be almost tolerable.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
Please, enlighten me.

I truly hate dealing with the TSA. I find the LAX experience to be almost tolerable.
Until this past July, Spiff, I would have agreed w/you 100%. Like others, I've never had any problems w/my shoes (even when I was forced to go thru the riff-raff line), laptop, or even checking my bags, but something definately changed by the time I came thru in July. For starters they now have at least one, sometimes 2, swabbers down there by the CT machine & I don't just mean for those bags that appeared to have something strange in them when they went thru-these are in addition to that. In July I had the misfortune of being one of 'Latrice's' victims & my bags pulled out of the line for the machine & sent to 'Amber', who was equally PO'd @ the world, apparently. Needless to say, neither was happy @ my insistence Amber change her gloves before touching my bag (it was locked, so she had to come ask me for the key, which I'm sure also PO'd her off), then when I insisted it be relocked, the fun REALLY began-everyone in the terminal got to listen to 'Latrice' screaming @ me, "She don't have time for this" AND 'Latrice' was, allegedly, the supervisor!! Last month, we were in line to drop bags @ the machine for nearly 30 minutes-it stretched back beyond the escelator; imagine how long we'd have been there had there not been someone periodically pulling passengers out of line to ensure they made their flights. I've literally never seen it as bad as it was that day.
Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by txrus
Until this past July, Spiff, I would have agreed w/you 100%. Like others, I've never had any problems w/my shoes (even when I was forced to go thru the riff-raff line), laptop, or even checking my bags, but something definately changed by the time I came thru in July. For starters they now have at least one, sometimes 2, swabbers down there by the CT machine & I don't just mean for those bags that appeared to have something strange in them when they went thru-these are in addition to that. In July I had the misfortune of being one of 'Latrice's' victims & my bags pulled out of the line for the machine & sent to 'Amber', who was equally PO'd @ the world, apparently. Needless to say, neither was happy @ my insistence Amber change her gloves before touching my bag (it was locked, so she had to come ask me for the key, which I'm sure also PO'd her off), then when I insisted it be relocked, the fun REALLY began-everyone in the terminal got to listen to 'Latrice' screaming @ me, "She don't have time for this" AND 'Latrice' was, allegedly, the supervisor!! Last month, we were in line to drop bags @ the machine for nearly 30 minutes-it stretched back beyond the escelator; imagine how long we'd have been there had there not been someone periodically pulling passengers out of line to ensure they made their flights. I've literally never seen it as bad as it was that day.
I see.

I never check bags, so I've not had this experience at LAX. Good to know.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Please, enlighten me.
L-A-X spells?

Okkay, now go back and read.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 6:01 pm
askworldtraveler

hat on....

have a laugh and don't go personal..... please

Hat OFF -

T-4 my exit point 80% out of L A X is one of the better TSA experiences....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.