TSA at LAX

Old Oct 28, 2005, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
TSA ex-STL is always more fun than TSA ex-LAX.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by gemac

STL is my home aiport, and I despise the TSA there compared to the other airports. Pretty much one step short of a strip-search in STL.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Originally Posted by txrus
Last month, we were in line to drop bags @ the machine for nearly 30 minutes-it stretched back beyond the escelator; imagine how long we'd have been there had there not been someone periodically pulling passengers out of line to ensure they made their flights. I've literally never seen it as bad as it was that day.
Just about any Monday-Friday at 6am, passengers are backed up waiting to go up the escalator in the F security line.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
STL is my home aiport, and I despise the TSA there compared to the other airports. Pretty much one step short of a strip-search in STL.
Huh? Live in STL and have never once had an issue with TSA folks here and I fly out literally at least twice a week. Never one problem. In fact, they are actually polite here.

LAX on the other hand... Agree with those who say it is the awful and it is the inconsistent baggage checking procedures at LAX that lead to most of my frustration. Each terminal is different, and each counter is different. The situation described by the OP has happened to me at AA T4 at least two or three times in the past 18 months or so. The FC checkin agent says, "drop your bags off over there" and points to some vague place to the left end of the counter. I go down there, find no one, and wind up arguing with a TSA person to take my bag, who seems to convey with their eye-roll that they feel I am a some snobby elite passenger who feels I don't need to wait in "the big line". UA's procedures are equally inconsistent. Though at least they both have some sort of process for FC pax (however inconsistently they're followed) - NW at T2 just dumps you in "the big baggage line" every time no matter what.

I HATE checking bags at LAX. I generally always prefer checking bags because I like bulkhead FC seats and hate the "bag rush" of all the bin hogs. But at LAX I too become a bin hog whenver I can to avoid the "TSA hogs" who seem bizarely obsessed with making sure you don't walk away until your baggage has been screened.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Huh? Live in STL and have never once had an issue with TSA folks here and I fly out literally at least twice a week. Never one problem. In fact, they are actually polite here.

I don't have a specific problem with them persay, but I noticed they do have some procedures that other airports like LAX and DFW don't have(or at least don't enforce). Like the shoe dance, for example, seems to be a standard procedure at STL, I didn't notice it at LAX or DFW.

In short, the STL TSA seems to be a bit more of a pain in the ... than other airports.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:42 am

I don't have a specific problem with them persay, but I noticed they do have some procedures that other airports like LAX and DFW don't have(or at least don't enforce). Like the shoe dance, for example, seems to be a standard procedure at STL, I didn't notice it at LAX or DFW.
That probably explains it. I gave up on the shoe dance fight long ago. It is obvious that that's what they want, so I decided to eliminate the stress of that a long time ago and just relent. Now, it's never a stress point for me anymore. But I couldn't tell you which airports are strict on it and which aren't as I never see it. I'd say at least 90% of the people are so used to it, that those fights are rare to even witness anymore.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
That probably explains it. I gave up on the shoe dance fight long ago. It is obvious that that's what they want, so I decided to eliminate the stress of that a long time ago and just relent. Now, it's never a stress point for me anymore. But I couldn't tell you which airports are strict on it and which aren't as I never see it. I'd say at least 90% of the people are so used to it, that those fights are rare to even witness anymore.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't get into a confrontation over it. But it's still a pain in the ... to take off outer layers and your shoes. I was just surprised to see LAX and DFW a little less stringent, maybe it has something to do with the volume of pax both of those airports see.

Tell me, does the TSA make guys in suits take off their suit jackets?
Old Oct 29, 2005, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
Never had a problem with T4 LAX except the rental wanna be TSA that checks the BPs for the elite security line. Made my travelling companion go around to the regular line because he wasn't elite.

T1 on the other hand, "oy vey!" shoe carnival, crazy TSA agents yelling, etc etc... maybe the TSA get promoted through the terminals, they start at T1 and move up :-P hahahaha
Old Oct 30, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MM (former 1K) - DL PM (former DM) - Marriott Platinum
Have to agree with the "Pro-LAX" folks.

Travelling regularly (~1-2 times per week) out of T-7, and occasionally out of T-4, I always comment to the TSA folks how lucky I am to have LAX as a home airport. Never a shoe carnival, no hassles to get airside, and the screeners are very personable.

The only thing I still don't understand is why T-6 is still a shoe carnival. (For those of you who don't know LAX, T-6 and T-7 are one big connected secure area.) Why is 7 easy, and 6 a hassle? No biggie...just go through 7's checkpoint
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumpcut
Just about any Monday-Friday at 6am, passengers are backed up waiting to go up the escalator in the F security line.
This was 8amish on a Sunday & this was the line to drop checked bags-no line going up the escalator, though there was a bit of a line once we got to the top. All in all, it was the longest it's ever taken me to get thru to the other side
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Jumpcut
Is this true? We have a 6:40am flight in a couple of weeks. According to the TSA website, the wait is 8-18min. and I would hope towards the lower end in the elite line.

We will have the standard carry-ons, so hopefully no luggage line.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
This was meant as a joke, not to start a debate.

I guess I'm not as funny as I think I am.

Maybe if should have written it "Ex-lax".

Sorry.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Tell me, does the TSA make guys in suits take off their suit jackets?
Yes. You must take off your suit jacket at STL (and many other airports as well). STL is my home airport and I must agree that the TSA staff there is as dumb as a bag of bricks. Nice people but following some prescribed list of idiotic do's and dont's seems to supercede any common sense that might apply to a given situation.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: AA PLT/1.9MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Is this true? We have a 6:40am flight in a couple of weeks. According to the TSA website, the wait is 8-18min. and I would hope towards the lower end in the elite line.

We will have the standard carry-ons, so hopefully no luggage line.
Yes, it's been my recent experience M-F 6am-ish. They hold people at the bottom of the escalater because the line on top is backed up right to where people get off the escalator. It can easily take 20 minutes to snake around the F security line and then you are dumped in with everyone else (up to 10 more minutes) to get to the metal detectors. YMMV.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Pardon the bump...

I just wanted to check on couple of things in this thread. I'm flying out of LAX's T4 on QF108 next month (in J), so wanted to find out about baggage screening.

- Does LAX's T4 still have checked baggage screening machines out on the checkin floor, right? I hope so as I'd like to be there when they screen the baggages.

- It sounds like I might be asked to use the 'general' checked baggage screening machine, instead of the one for premium paxs, west of the screening point for T4?

- And while I'm still here, does anyone remember whether IAD and YVR (both AA) has checked baggage screening machines out on the checkin floor or not?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.