Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anticipating a Wilma problem..... your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2005, 7:03 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Anticipating Wilma and it's consequences..... your thoughts.

Flight#1779 on Monday originates in Orlando right when Wilma is projected to be pouncing on Florida. It is supposed to fly to DFW and then on to Seattle where it makes a quick turnaround back to DFW as a redeye flight#1212. That is the one I am on....meeting friends at DFW and connecting on to central Mexico to celebrate a birthday.

My question is should I be looking for an alternative flight out of Seattle to DFW? Or if flight #1779 is canceled in/out of MCO ....AA would/could come up with other equiptment to fly the DFW-SEA-DFW flight......

Thanks.

Last edited by david55; Oct 23, 2005 at 7:24 am
Old Oct 23, 2005, 8:21 am

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
While only the future could know, I would prefer not to have a plane originating out of MCO during the storm as I think enough flights will be delayed that AA may not have alternate equipment available. Moreover, whatever alternative equipment they have will likely be put onto their highest revenue business routes. Might be worth the $$$ to switch to an earlier flight if you possibly can. Just my two cents
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by mktozd
While only the future could know, I would prefer not to have a plane originating out of MCO during the storm as I think enough flights will be delayed that AA may not have alternate equipment available. Moreover, whatever alternative equipment they have will likely be put onto their highest revenue business routes. Might be worth the $$$ to switch to an earlier flight if you possibly can. Just my two cents
I think changing flights would be overreacting.

First of all, even in normal circumstances, direct flights aren't always operated by the same plane, and they're even less likely to have the same crew.

Second, during a hurricane, the airlines try to keep their planes OUT of the affected area. That means, if there's going to be a cancellation, the plane that operates MCO-DFW will never have left DFW in the first place (they will cancel DFW-MCO-DFW leaving the plane at DFW, not the other way around).

Third, AA1779 leaves MCO at 5pm, and the hurricane is supposed to be hitting South Florida in the morning.

And to worry about a flight that is 2 cities down is just way too much speculaton about the same plane operating all those flights. Aircraft swaps happen often, especially in cases like these, and a cancellation can happen to any flight.

FYI AA has already cancelled all flights in/out of MIA for Monday, but MCO seems to be intact so far (except for flights to/from MIA).
Old Oct 23, 2005, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLT
Another thing, I just checked AA1779 and AA1212 for yesterday, today and tomorrow. All 3 days AA1779 arrived or will arrive at gate A9. All 3 days AA1212 departed or will depart from gate A8, so they're not the same plane.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 4:12 pm

1779 departed MCO 5 min. early and is currently due into DFW 8 min. early at gate C6. 1779 DFW-SEA is currently showing as departing from C26, so as of now they're not using the same plane on the 2 segments of 1779.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by langleyoaker
1779 departed MCO 5 min. early and is currently due into DFW 8 min. early at gate C6. 1779 DFW-SEA is currently showing as departing from C26, so as of now they're not using the same plane on the 2 segments of 1779.
I noticed that too.....

Is there anyway from home to tell what flight is coming into gate C26 that turns into 1779?
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by david4455
I noticed that too.....

Is there anyway from home to tell what flight is coming into gate C26 that turns into 1779?
AA2060 due in on time at 742p from SMF.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 5:58 pm

1779 DFW-SEA has been changed to gate C24. The inbound flight is 2484 from ONT and it's on time.

I found this by looking for all AA inbounds to DFW arriving at 7p or later on flytecomm, then looking up gates on aa.com. By luck it was the first flight I looked up.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by langleyoaker
1779 DFW-SEA has been changed to gate C24. The inbound flight is 2484 from ONT and it's on time.

I found this by looking for all AA inbounds to DFW arriving at 7p or later on flytecomm, then looking up gates on aa.com. By luck it was the first flight I looked up.
You are so kind.... thank you! I am constantly amazed at how generous FT members are even as neurotic as my request(s) was.....
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:21 am

You're welcome...I see 1212 got into DFW 10 min. early this morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.