Old Oct 21, 05, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Minimum Connection Time + Codeshares

I can book the following trip:
12/21 AA129 SJC-NRT 11:55-16:20
12/22 JL711 NRT-SIN 17:50-12:55(+1 day)

But I cannot book this trip:
12/21 AA129 SJC-NRT 11:55-16:20
12/22 AA5836 NRT-SIN 17:50-12:55(+1 day) -- AA codeshare operated by JAL, same plane as above

Is there some sort of minimum connection time between AA-AA international codeshares which is different than AA-JL connections? The connection time is 90 minutes and both versions of this trip are on the same plane. I'd rather fly the AA codeshare to get a 100% mileage accrual as opposed to the 70% I would get on a JAL flight.
Old Oct 21, 05, 12:26 pm

maybe there are no more seats available in your booking class under the AA codeshare flight number?
Old Oct 21, 05, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wannabe
maybe there are no more seats available in your booking class under the AA codeshare flight number?
The first itinerary with the JL flight is booked under the MPXPX6M fare code (yes I have a return on 12/29). Expert flyer shows there are seats availabe in the AA codeshare in the M fare bucket (it says M7 for both the SJC-NRT and NRT-SIN bucket).

Last edited by cornellstudent; Oct 21, 05 at 2:19 pm
Old Oct 21, 05, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very, very weird

No, the connection is valid: the general Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 minimum connection time is 1:50, but AA has published a Minimum Connection rule specific for flight 129 to 5836 setting it for a minimum of 1:25 and one between flight 129 and JL711 setting that one also for a minimum of 1:25.

Also, it shows availability when booked as a through (i.e. SJCSIN); it cannot be sold on the local market NRTSIN, so if you're trying to look for availability that way you won't find it; the connection however can be sold with a long sell entry.

Incidentally, where/with whom are you booking this? The folks at AA should know better.
Old Oct 21, 05, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Hillrider,

Thanks for your comments. I'm booking through a local travel agent (who, by the way is charging me a $39 ticketing fee (ouch!). I'm trying to do some research online before going to the travel agent and telling them what to do.

I'll go have a chat with the travel agent. I called the travel agency last night and they gave me some crap about how the connection was too short .... told me to take it up with the people in the office today. How long can they reserve these tickets? I believe fare rules say ticketing must be done within 3 days of reservation. They should be able to hold this for 3 days, eh?
Old Oct 21, 05, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, you're reading the rules correctly: they can hold the space for 3 days, but the fare is not guaranteed until ticketed (i.e. if AA changes price and/or rules or withdraws it, you're SOL).

I'm assuming you're not going direct to AA (or an online agency) because of a corporate contract or such, right? Note: some agencies have a tendency of selling not what the customer needs, but what makes sense for the agency to sell...could it be a case of the agency/agent getting some $$ or free trips from JL or from whatever carrier they're trying to sell you on? Or are they just plain incompetent for their $40?
Old Oct 21, 05, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is truly bizzarre--AA.com doesn't build the SJCNRTSIN connection either, even though Sabre (the home GDS for AA) does. Figure out what GDS the agency uses; you may have stumbled upon one of the many GDS bugs/inconsistencies.
Old Oct 21, 05, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

What does "GDS" mean?

The only reason I'm going through a travel agent is I found a cheap fare. They're holding a $1200 ticket from SJC-SIN over the xmas and new years holidays. There was only one seat left on the departure date 12/21 (i'm still rather confused about how the fare codes and fare buckets work) at that cheap rate.

I never use travel agents becauase I'm usually booking my trips thru the internet. However in this case I'm unable to hold a multi-carrier reservation except thru a travel agent. Anyways, I'll go talk to the travel agent and see what he says ... I'll report back later! (can you tell I'm avoiding the agent?)

Last edited by cornellstudent; Oct 21, 05 at 5:16 pm
Old Oct 21, 05, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

My travel agent sucks. They couldnt understand what I was talking about and they couldn't find the AA5836 flight. I give up. Since my itinerary is potentially an AA trip, I will just call up AA and attempt to get them to ticket it.

I'll call the AA Plat phone number and see what they can do.
Old Oct 21, 05, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Okay. Score 1 for AA.

I called AA, told them my plans (but not the flight numbers), and they gave me the AA codeshare flights without any problems. I didn't even have to specify which flights I wanted. Awesome!

Search this Thread