Almost EXP??

Old Oct 20, 05, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, AA 2M Miles (Llifetime Platinum)
Almost EXP??

I am planning to be at about 90k miles by year-end. Does anyone know if AA will give me EXP if I am close enough? What is their threshold for giving EXP??I have been Plat since 2000. Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 05, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by needmoremiles
I am planning to be at about 90k miles by year-end. Does anyone know if AA will give me EXP if I am close enough? What is their threshold for giving EXP??I have been Plat since 2000. Thanks.
My crystal ball tells me by doing SEARCH you should find several threads with evidience to determine how many EQMs you need to get the "round-up."

My crystal ball also tells me you might want to invest in some mileage running shoes if you really want to make it to EXP.
Old Oct 20, 05, 2:14 pm
jsm

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 2.6 MM Concierge Key, SPG Platinum, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
There are many discussions on this topic - seach away. They will not give it to you (unless you are maybe 99,999 (but not worth the risk)) - try a mileage run!
Old Oct 20, 05, 2:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
I am planning to be at about 90k miles by year-end.
How does that saying go?

Close, but no cigar.......
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I doubt they'd even think 90,000 was close. It is safer to interpret qualifying rules as "at least" 25K, 50K, 100K, vs. "almost".
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congrats-- in advance-- on being one of AA's most travelled Platinum members for 2005!
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Well, well, so far I accumulated a total of 99806 miles for this current year, should I be considered EXP or not its ok I am flying to EZE from JFK it will net me additional 10562 base miles.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by mlibers
Well, well, so far I accumulated a total of 99806 miles for this current year, should I be considered EXP or not its ok I am flying to EZE from JFK it will net me additional 10562 base miles.
You should not currently be considered EXP. If you didn't have the additional flight, and ended the year at 99806, I'm quite sure that they would make you EXP...but not yet...

Cheers.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT; CO Gold
Originally Posted by mlibers
Actually, hasn't AA rounded up 99,000+ miles the past couple years? Not that I would count on that (and clearly you aren't either! ).
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by primedude
Actually, hasn't AA rounded up 99,000+ miles the past couple years? Not that I would count on that (and clearly you aren't either! ).
NO and in any case, not 'till the end of the year. Unless AA switched to the Jewish calendar without notifying us.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT; CO Gold
Yep, misread his post; I thought he was asking if he would be EXP if he stopped flying now, and I was under the impression that the answer was "maybe." Still, not a risk I'd personally be willing to take.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by primedude
Yep, misread his post; I thought he was asking if he would be EXP if he stopped flying now. Still, not a risk I'd personally be willing to take.
Indeed. There will be a quite few new EPs this year (probably the most since 2000) Anyone who flies even a single mile less than 100K and expects AA to "just round it up" is in for a very rude surprise.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:48 pm

I remember that one of frequent flyers posted that AA has set their entrance to EXP at 50 miles under the 100,000 mark. One can add current Q-Points to those that come from future bookings to see if you qualify.

I too am closing in on EXP again, and decided to do a mileage run. However nothing is more frustrating that after doing a mileage run, to find that those miles do not help you qualify. Thanks to some of the posts, I realized that some miles do not qualify toward Q-Points, the way I had hoped to qualify. These flights are some of the International Net SAAver fares such as what is being offered to KIX that and is sold for $619 from LGA. One of the posts pointed out that after flying on a similar fare which was in the "O" fare category, points were not awarded and upgrades were not possible. With this help in hand, I yesterday booked an S fare to KIX that will qualify me for Q Points, according to two EXP agents (Pamela in CT, and Ann in NC) and was able to upgrade. I printed the corresponding documents from AA's web site, discussed the problems these posts presented, and read the terms of the Restrictions on Net SAAver fares to AA's agents as well as a Table from AA's web site that points are awarded when booking in the S fare category with Ann. I was told not to worry, as miles from these flights will be counted to my qualification.

This is a complex situation, and sometimes the advice the AA's agents may give would be incorrect. I've found that Flyer talk posters offer far better advice and directions on how to qualify than many AA agents.

We look forward to hearing if you ultimately qualify.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Life_Platinum, I think you've gotten a lot of confusing (and wrong) info. EP agents are -not- a good source of info on AAdvantage. Your post is confusing, if you try it again (in more detail) I think you can get straightened out.
Old Oct 20, 05, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Indeed. There will be a quite few new EPs this year (probably the most since 2000) Anyone who flies even a single mile less than 100K and expects AA to "just round it up" is in for a very rude surprise.
I would agree with the possible exception of one who has been EXP for 3 or 4 years easily in excess of 100K each time. I think even AA would give that person EXP if they missed by a hundred miles or less this year. At least I'd like to think so.

Search this Thread