Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Mild Warning on Date Changes On Partner Award Tickets (Well, CX At Least)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mild Warning on Date Changes On Partner Award Tickets (Well, CX At Least)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2005, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Exclamation Mild Warning on Date Changes On Partner Award Tickets (Well, CX At Least)

Hi All,

Figured I'd pass this recent experience along for all your benefit, unless of course you all knew it already and I was just an idiot for not realizing it.

I just completed a Oneworld Award and had made a date change on a CX segment (HKG-LAX). When I went to check-in at HKG for that flight, they could not do it as AA had never re-issued the ticket for the new date. As this was an e-ticket, I never thought to ask that the ticket be reissued. I would have that was done automatically or that the date would not matter as the segment had not been flown, but something with CX's system prevented them from issuing a BP.

The issue was resolved by calling AA in the States (the HKG office was closed), but it took about 40 minutes to resolve. As I was early, it wasn't a big deal, ut had I been pressed for time, I probably would have missed the flight.

My advice when changing the dates of CX segments on award tickets (if not all AA-issued e-tickets) is to make sure that the AAgent who confirms the changed date has the ticket re-issued. According to the CX Supervisor with whom I was working, what happened to me is not an uncommon occurance with AA-issued tickets.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 9:44 am

Sometimes when you call a make a change the agent on the phone reissues the ticket and sometimes they don't for some reason. This applies to all tickets and not just award tickets. I usually ask if the e-ticket has been reissued before I hang up. With paper tickets you usually have to go to the office although I have had CX accept a change in an AA codeshare flight that had been changed by phone with AA in the US.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This has always been the case for award tickets. Even when it's fully electronic, changes in flight segments will require re-issue. Often the agents won't re-issue in case you need to make further changes, as they figure you'll do the re-issue at the airport.

At least now that there is full e-ticketing it is easier. Used to be you needed to find an AAgent to do a physical ticket re-issue.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
Yes, definitely this applies to all changes to award tickets. The ways I double-check that the ticket has been reissued are (1) make sure I get a new email confirmation (which is sent when the ticket is re-issued, which is why it usually doesn't come for a few hours after you make the change) and (2) check the ticketing date when I click on the PNR in "My Reservations" to make sure it shows the new date.
Old Nov 7, 2005, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by justageek
Yes, definitely this applies to all changes to award tickets. The ways I double-check that the ticket has been reissued are (1) make sure I get a new email confirmation (which is sent when the ticket is re-issued, which is why it usually doesn't come for a few hours after you make the change) and (2) check the ticketing date when I click on the PNR in "My Reservations" to make sure it shows the new date.
Just recently I had to make a date change on a OW award (the CX segments). Upon checking "my reservations" online at aa.com it appeared that everything was in order. However, a few weeks later, I called to verify a few schedule changes to other segments, and I was told by the AAgent that, while the itinerary showed the new CX dates, the e-ticket itself didn't. It took a dozen of phone calls over about three weeks to get the AAward straightened out. Somehow, they kept telling me that it would be done "in the next 2-3 days", but then nothing would happen. Luckily, travel doesn't start for a few more months, but I'm glad that I found the problem this early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.