Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Technical question: Is it possible to get upgraded on non AA stock?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium

For an AA marketed and operated flight on non-AA ticket stock, with an AA elite AAdvantage number in the record:

1) Is it possible to get automatically upgraded by AA at the 100/72/24 hour mark? -(Almost assuredly "No")

2) Is it possible to get upgraded through any manual means (telephone, supervisor, etc) (subject to seat availability) before the day of flight? -(Probably not, but I am hoping we have an expert who knows how out there!)

3) On day of flight, again subject to availability, what is the procedure (if any) for an AA Elite to get upgraded on non-AA stock on an AA marketed and operated flight? -(Please! And I am talking about "sticker" upgrades, based on AA status - not miles or eVIPs or YUPs or Y/B or the new proposed cash payment or anything else)

Last edited by 925; Oct 19, 2005 at 9:38 pm Reason: To add the last sentence clarification
Old Oct 19, 2005, 9:33 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
from my experience it really does not matter how/where you bought the ticket. As long as it's a valid fare (i.e. non-consolidator or smth) and it has an AA flt#, on AA metal, and you are an AA Elite, then I see no problem or complications.
As far as automatically upgraded? not sure what you mean, but if you pull up your reservation on your AA.com page, most certainly (as long as it's a flight eligible for stickers) you can submit a request for sticker upgrades...
You can also upgrade using your miles. As far as any operational-upgrades as this is what you seem to imply - it could happen, but you have more chances of seeing snow in L.A. than getting an op-up. As always, YMMV and it also depends on the route and especially the date that you're travelling (i.e. Thanksgiving, etc.)

Regards,
Chris
Old Oct 20, 2005, 6:17 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
The caveot would probably be consolidtor's fares that would not be eligible for upgrade on AA-paper or not!

Since you have a PAPER ticket issued by another airline or travel agent, the on-line features of aa.com probably will not be available (you can try putting in the locator number and see if it will pull up).

CALL aa (using the EXP desk with your tier) and ask to have 'upgrade requested' put on the aa flight. This step could be done online (if they show up) by ticking the upgrade request box).

The part that is confusing here is your continued comments / details about AA Marketed and operated flight. To use stickers to upgrade .. it has to be AA METAL (airplane). The ticket being paper no issued by AA or electronic has no issue.

Why not fess up and tell us the details of what you are trying to upgrade on .. maybe that will help.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Last trip on AA, I was ticketed on Delta 006 stock. Upgrades cleared right at the 72 hour mark.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Thanks, FlyAstroJets... I will try it out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.